Military Brides
Options

Invitations with rank

This may seem like a confusing question... but FI wants to have a military wedding. Dress uniforms for the groomsmen and himself and arch of sabers. Is it necessary to put his rank on the invitations if this is the case? I think he would prefer not to, but he is unsure of the protocol on it. Does anyone know? We just didn't want to not do something when we technically should have...

Re: Invitations with rank

• Options
    edited December 2011
     If he is proud enough of his service (and he sould be!) that he wants to do the full military wedding then he should be proud enough of his rank, wheter SN or Adm., PFC or Gen. to use it in conjunction with the wedding.

I know that my FI isn't even all that thrilled about doing the whole military wedding (he is mainly humoring me, lol) but he made sure that as I was drafting the invitations that his rank was there because it was something of which he is darn proud! Your FI should be proud too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh really? Dang! If I'm going to spend the money on an invitation to them... I think the only decent thing for them to do is attend! I'm completely kidding of course.

Thanks for your help! I thought we should have it, but he said the wording looked weird. Don't get me wrong, he is extremely proud of his rank (and I am of him), but he didn't like the way the wording looked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a similar dilemma. We're incorporating some military touches into our wedding (he's wearing his dress blues for the ceremony and we may have a sword arch), but it's not what I would consider a "full" military wedding. We're getting married outside in a garden with a relative as our officiant, not on base with a military chaplain. He has some military friends coming, but we're not technically even stationed at a base right now, so we're not inviting all the commanding officers and all that jazz.

For more of an informal , non-traditional, military-esq wedding, do we really need to include his rank and service on the invitations? I'm a graphic designer so I'm doing our own invites, and I agree that it just doesn't look right.

Any other non-traditional military brides out there with advice?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_invitations-rank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee91dde8-2751-43ee-a209-74e36aaa95d3Post:07d99972-6c49-455f-b1bd-d48285565450">Re: Invitations with rank</a>:
    [QUOTE] If he is proud enough of his service (and he sould be!) that he wants to do the full military wedding <strong>then he should be proud enough of his rank</strong>, wheter SN or Adm., PFC or Gen. to use it in conjunction with the wedding. I know that my FI isn't even all that thrilled about doing the whole military wedding (he is mainly humoring me, lol) but he made sure that as I was drafting the invitations that his rank was there because it was something of which he is darn proud! Your FI should be proud too.
    Posted by penguingal06[/QUOTE]

This is in not always the case if someone has recently gotten in trouble and lost rank, or was passed up for a promotion. Just because he is not happy with his rank does not mean he is not proud to be in the Army.

I will ask our unit commander's wife about this tonight when I speak to her. I am sure she would know.

Megan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_invitations-rank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee91dde8-2751-43ee-a209-74e36aaa95d3Post:775b9789-f9cd-4073-9205-aa3a9af15430">Re: Invitations with rank</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitations with rank : <strong>This is in not always the case if someone has recently gotten in trouble and lost rank, or was passed up for a promotion.</strong> Just because he is not happy with his rank does not mean he is not proud to be in the Army. I will ask our unit commander's wife about this tonight when I speak to her. I am sure she would know. Megan
    Posted by HisMegs878[/QUOTE]

<div>Just so you know this is not the case at all. What is actually going on is that everyone we are inviting knows he is a captain in the Army and he feels like it isn't that necessary... He loves serving and he loves his job and is proud of what he does! And I am 100% proud of him!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_invitations-rank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee91dde8-2751-43ee-a209-74e36aaa95d3Post:b13739bf-0c50-48c7-b378-647beece4a55">Re: Invitations with rank</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitations with rank : Just so you know this is not the case at all. What is actually going on is that everyone we are inviting knows he is a captain in the Army and he feels like it isn't that necessary... He loves serving and he loves his job and is proud of what he does! And I am 100% proud of him!
    Posted by caitlink23[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't think you were not proud of him in any way. But I think the comment someone else made that if he is proud of being in the military he should be proud of his rank. This is not always the case.

M
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Caitlin,
    My FI is a Captain in the Army too.  We included rank on our invitations, but we both come from military families and this is his career.  The "guidelines" are anything below CPT do not use rank, just name and on the next line include "United States Army".  For CPT and higher, you include RANK NAME and below that United States Army.  That being said, some people may assume your husband is below captain if you do not include it.  But like I always say, it's your wedding...who cares what other people think of small things like wording?!  Good luck and have fun addressing invitations to all his army buddies...I don't think you can really get passed using rank there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My understanding was that you were only supposed to put their rank if they were a certain rank or higher, otherwise you just didn't put anything. I'm sure this depends on the branch - and I can't say I paid much attention b/c I knew it didn't apply to us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards