Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Is videography worth it?

I can't decide if I want a videographer or not. Are you having one/had one? If you did have one do you believe it's worth the money?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is videography worth it?

• Options
    We had one.  It was pretty expensive but I think it was totally worth it.

Pictures do a great job of capturing specific moments of the day - but a video captures the real essence.  I love watching our video; remembering what our pastor said, how elegant our attendants looked walking down the aisle, how our music sounded.  Our videographer even had advice and testimonials from guests and members of the wedding party.  And I love watching the toasts and parts of the dance again.

I will always cherish ours.  Definitely money well spent - if you get a good one!
    panther
  • Options
    I'm still debating hiring one - but I'm at least going to have a family member record the ceremony and toasts (prob my 15 yr old cousin / usher, who loves technology and could probably care less about the wedding haha)
  • Options
    One of my good friends is a videographer and gave us a good deal.  Honestly not sure if I would have done it otherwise, but I am glad I have the video.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We opted not to.  We may have someone in our family record parts of it with a camcorder, but overall, it's just not in our budget.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, still not sure but I have plenty of time to decide.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say YES!! Probably one of my best decisions. Like PP, pictures can only capture so much. The video captures everything! I absolutely love watching it. It wasnt cheap, but worth every penny. My sister opted not to get one for her wedding, and regrets terribly.
  • Options
    If it's in your budget, then I'd go for it.

We're not for the budget reason as well as FI is a videographer and editor (corporate, not wedding) and I don't think he'd be happy with anyone else's work. So, we're going to use our flip cam and another identical camera (or two) from my work to have a few people record the big moments and whatever they want inbetween. (Bridesmaids will have the camera while we're getting ready, his sisters for the ceremony, etc.) Then FI wil put something together for us.
  • Options
    I really would like one but, I don't feel we can fit it in and we are only 3 weeks away now. What have you found is the average price in your area?  I am getting 2500.00 quotes all over that seems like a lot!

Trying to Conceive Ticker
    DH 45 ME 44

TTC #3 since 7/11 using OPK's and trying to figure out Fertility Friend! LOL
    DS #1 born on 7/20/87 DS#2 born on 1/19/96
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I haven't been looking much but the one company I saw was for $700. However they are known to have really low prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For us, it's worth it.  FI's family won't be able to attend the wedding so the video is their only way of seeing it.  Also I'm a big fan of home movies so I know I will actually watch it.  I'd love to be able to show my kids more than pictures.  In a video you get the feel of the atmosphere and the emotions...pictures don't do that as much.  I'm paying 2450$ for mine and he is the cheapest one I found in my area for the quality of video I wanted.  You have loads of time before making your decision.  See how your budget pans out and make your decision when you have less than a year left to go.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It isn't in our budget to hire one. We will probaby have a friend videotape ours. He did our friends wedding and did a good job. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're also opting out and sprung for a great photog. instead...I'd like to have a video but it would blow our budget...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    here's a contract tip - don't pay for a hi-definition upgrade. confront them. no one shoots in standard def anymore, so they're just upselling you with HD. they actually have to do more to make it SD.
  • Options

Initially I didn't care to have videography because of the expense, but it was really important to FI, so we compromised. We will have one for about 4 hours (shoot the ceremony and first half of the reception) and will be receiving only the raw, uncut footage and FI will edit it (it's a hobby of his).  Most companies nowadays do this and it saved us a tremendous amount of money. If you decide to go this route, I would try and book it earlier rather than later to avoid someone else booking them who is paying full price. And after reading these posts, I'm glad we decided to hire one.

• Options

A friend of mine had a videographer at her wedding and they blended right in with the photographer and guests. What was really special was the preview that they put together and showed during the reception. It really showed the moments between father/daughter, the couple, messages to each other.  It was really well done and makes me want to spend the money for my wedding. :)

• Options
    We decided to hire one and I am so glad we did.  We have wonderful memories of our wedding ceremony and reception - and we didn't need to burden a family member with videotaping and not being able to enjoy their time at the wedding.  It was totally worth it!  We've been married 1 year, 5 months and we still sit and watch it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    This is actually very similar to my situation! My FI has actually been a videographer for a few weddings (his major is TV/Video production!), and he is VERY picky about the work that other people do! That being said, he is actually going to do our own videography for our wedding. He has an amazing set-up with multiple cameras that he will turn on before people start filling the sanctuary of our church for the ceremony, and they will stay in the same place. He has a trusted friend who is going to do a few moving shots too (like the walks up and down the aisle, etc.). Before the ceremony, we will be using Flipcams to catch all the "getting ready" shots ourselves (BMs will have one and GMs will have another). At the reception, the same friend who is doing the moving camera shots will capture all the toasts/dances, etc. FI will edit all the footage after!
    ~This is such a thrill, lost in love and dancing~ (blog)
  • Options
    My friend is studying tv and film in school and he has videotaped other events I have been part of so I know his work. He only asked for $200 but Of course, I'm going to give him a big fat tip! I would suggest contacting the film department at a college nearby and see if they have any suggestions. I'm dancer and when people needed a dancer or choreographer but relatively cheap, because we just want more of the experience at that time, they would call our department and then they give the dancer the info. 
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards