Not Engaged Yet
Options

Who's a nurse?

My mom went back to school to be an LPN & she just started clinicals recently. She's been complaining about her shoes but I know she won't get herself a new pair so I was thinking I could get her something for Christmas. 

Have any shoe recommendations for me to take a look at??

Re: Who's a nurse?

• Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no recommendation but I wanted to say awww that is so sweet! You're my favorite kind of gift giver. :-D

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a lot of nurses really like those Crocs. I always thought they look funny, but I see a lot of people who stand on their feet for work wearing them.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Ollie: Awww thanks! Maybe I'll get you in the SS :)

Ely: She's made comments about other nurses wearing them before LOL If that's what everyone recommends though maybe I should just get her a pair & then when she tries them she'll love them?

• Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you can get her to go try them on to see if she'll like them ... or just get her some gel inserts? Those really help too. FI stands on concrete all day and he said he felt a huge difference after he started using them.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-nurse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:10b9b69c-953f-481d-8d2f-cbef3e744844Post:25046dad-38db-482c-8680-42e44a3c5dc2">Re: Who's a nurse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Ollie: Awww thanks! Maybe I'll get you in the SS :)</strong> Ely: She's made comments about other nurses wearing them before LOL If that's what everyone recommends though maybe I should just get her a pair & then when she tries them she'll love them?
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

omg that would be amazing! :-D

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-nurse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:10b9b69c-953f-481d-8d2f-cbef3e744844Post:465f0614-c83e-4281-9503-b62fcb81e110">Re: Who's a nurse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dansko's <a href="http://www.dansko.com/At%20Work/Womens/Footwear/View%20All/Professional/White%20Box/Filter/Color/White/Features/NA,/" rel="nofollow">http://www.dansko.com/At%20Work/Womens/Footwear/View%20All/Professional/White%20Box/Filter/Color/White/Features/NA,/</a>
    Posted by dragonwagon[/QUOTE]

This. I love mine!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-nurse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:10b9b69c-953f-481d-8d2f-cbef3e744844Post:465f0614-c83e-4281-9503-b62fcb81e110">Re: Who's a nurse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dansko's <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dansko.com/At%20Work/Womens/Footwear/View%20All/Professional/White%20Box/Filter/Color/White/Features/NA,/">http://www.dansko.com/At%20Work/Womens/Footwear/View%20All/Professional/White%20Box/Filter/Color/White/Features/NA,/</a>
    Posted by dragonwagon[/QUOTE]

If you go with Dansko, you will need to take your mom to try them on in person. Each pair of Dansko's are handmade and each pair will fit different. 3 pairs of Dansko's in a size 37 can all fit completely different. But, they are really comfy for people who work on their feet all day!

(I worked at Nordstrom and sold them to nurse and the like all the time!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm more of a lurker but I have some suggestions.

A lot of people like dansko. I personally do not like them my feet always hurt when I wear them. When I went shopping for shoes the sales lady told me that a lot of people can't wear dansko due to the shape of the shoes are not compatible with their arch shape. So that is something to keep in mind.

Crocs are very popular amongst nurses but I have never worn them.

My favorite are nursemates: http://www.nursemates.com/
    They're really lightweight and comfortable. I love them and have never had issues with my feet hurting.
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

My mom has a really high arch & she wears customs orthotics (sp?) in her sneakers because she had compartment syndrome in her legs also.  Maybe I will do something like "we're going to get you newnurse  shoes" in a card in addition to her other gift so she can pick them out herself & try them on. 

• Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Check out http://ecco.com/

They are on the same line as Dansko - I used to sell them both and they are fantastic. My g-ma has terrible feet - i bought her a pair (Much to her b!tching) and now she loves them.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Im an NA and i swear by Pumas. Nurses dont run around as much as we do (Im constantly running) and I already spent over 300$ in shoes that were no good. I had crocs (they only have a few months of wear), croc look-a-likes (they were good but gave me knee pain after a while) and then i invested in Dansko's (not worth the $$, IMO)   I bought a pair of Puma sneakers a few months ago and thank god for them. Even after doing doubles I dont have as much pain in my feet.

Congrats to your mom btw for going back! :)  happy shoe hunting :)
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Dansko.

Dansko Dansko Dansko Dansko Dansko.

DANSKO.

Seriously, they're the best shoes ever. I used them as a CNA and as a nursing student. I use tennis shoes now because I'm not required to have white shoes anymore, but Danskos are still spectacular

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I am sort of lurking too... lol.

How long have you had your pumas polish princess? I had mine for about a year (paid a hundred for them) and then the heels collapsed and I have been having horrible heel pain with them. I finally forced myself to throw them away because I was killing my feet. I am talking bruises on the side of my heels from standing all day. Not fun!! I am a NA as well, and a nursing student. I am wearing skechers right now but am not really a fan, they are still fairly new and they don't hurt... but the ones I have are so dainty and don't feel like me at all. I cannot wait til I don't have to wear white shoes anymore!

I have heard wonderful things about danskos also.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely suggest letting her pick out her own shoes, even though it's not quite as much fun. Everyone's feet are just so different. I know a lot of people who LOVE Danskos, but I hate them. I've always just worn sneakers of some kind for work.

My last two pairs have been Nike Shox, and I absolutely love them. I'd suggest her trying some different types of sneakers, then some Danskos, and maybe some Alegrias. A lot of uniform/scrub stores have a bunch of different types of "nurse" shoes, so that would probably be a good place to look.

Just FYI, a lot of hospitals have rules about shoes with holes on the top, so most places I've ever worked wouldn't allow Crocs at all. Plus, they really don't offer any support, so they suck for twelve hour shifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been a nurse for 2 years - As others have suggested, Danskos are very popular. I personally don't care for them when I'm running around during a 12 hour shift. Nurse mates are really good as well. I had nurse mates through school and during my first job.  But I ended up getting some awesome fitting Nikes at fleet feet and my feet love the awesome support. My feet don't ache half as bad as they used to! And... DON'T get her crocs. They may be a popular choice, but think of all the yucky things nurses can come into contact with - you don't want that getting through holes in your shoes to hang out in your socks now would you??? Gross.  i also had dress codes in school that didn't allow crocs. Take your mom shopping and let her decide what provides the most comfort!
  • Options
    annmarie714annmarie714 member
    edited December 2011
    Danskos, 100000000000%.  I have horrible feet...so bad I can't go barefoot because they hurt too bad, and my feet do not hurt one bit in Danskos.  In fact, I can go barefoot for a few hours after wearing them, even.

It's really a matter of preference.  Take her shopping but be prepared to drop a pretty penny on shoes.  Good, supportive shoes of any kind can run you from relatively inexpensive to $200.  Have her bring her work/student/hospital ID with her, some shoe stores give discounts for healthcare workers.  (I even got the discount as a nursing student.)
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is a nurse, and I'm pretty sure she has both Crocs and just really good walking/running shoes.  She works in a nursery so I'm not sure about the footwear rules in that department.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so so much for all the suggestions guys!!! 

I think I'm going to make a cute note to put in one of her other gifts saying that I will take her shopping for a good pair of shoes.  It seems like some people hate one brand while others love it.  She has weird feet so I agree it's probably best to have her go with me to get them. 

Thanks again :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards