Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hello All

Hey guys, I'm new here. Obviously, I am not yet engaged but I live with my boyfriend and he currently has a ring in his possession. I don't know what the ring looks like (I gave him some idea of what I liked and left the choice up to him) or when he plans to propose, but I have a feeling it will be in the next few months. I'm pretty excited but also enjoying my dwindling time as a "single" lady. Wedding blogs are fun to peruse casually, but I'm sure actually planning a wedding is a lot more hectic and stressful. I like the noncommittal act of looking but I don't think it will be as much fun when there are deadlines to meet and deposits to be made.

Some more info: 

Screen Name: deathandtaxes
Significant Other's Age: 34
What You Do: learning children good
What SO Does: also learning children good
State of Relationship: living together
How Long You've Been Together: 1.5 years
How You Met: work
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): either 2013 or 2014
Real Babies: nada
Fur Babies: two cats 
Loves: travel, photography, The Office, history, Marie Antoinette, Dr Pepper, sandwiches, Adventure Time, 30 Rock, Phoenix (band), Robert Downey Jr. 
Hates: celery, peanut butter, cilantro/coriander, No Child Left Behind
Pet Peeves: emotional baggage, excuses, flakiness
Hobbies/Activities: trapeze, running, photography, travel, naps
Favorite Thing About Your SO: he's the most patient, accepting, kind-hearted guy in the world
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: he is disorganized 
Describe Your Personality: direct, optimistic, adventurous, happy, personable, conscientious
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): Publicly: 3; privately: 9
I've Been On TK Since: now
How You Came to Be On TK: legends of the snarkiness
How I like my potatoes: smashed, lots of butter and sour cream, also some A-1

Favorite book/author: The Magus by John Fowles

Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I met Kevin Costner when I was kid, I was in Ireland when they switched to the Euro, I once fell asleep behind a trash can at a heavy metal concert, I biked across France when I was 20 years old

Re: Hello All

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:63627ffc-4bef-457e-bfd8-44d29400dc0f">Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE] Hates : celery, peanut butter, cilantro/coriander, <strong>No Child Left Behind
    Posted by deathandtaxes[/QUOTE]</strong>
    I like you. 

Favorite kind of cheese? 

Do you speak any langauges? 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I like how you worded your occupation.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:63627ffc-4bef-457e-bfd8-44d29400dc0f">Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>Loves : travel, </strong><strong>photography</strong>, The Office, history, Marie Antoinette, <strong>Dr Pepper</strong>, <strong>sandwiches</strong>, Adventure Time, 30 Rock, Phoenix (band), Robert Downey Jr. 
    Hates : celery, peanut butter, <strong>cilantro</strong>/coriander, No Child Left Behind
    Pet Peeves : emotional baggage, <strong>excuses</strong>,<strong> flakiness</strong> <strong>
    Hobbies/Activities : </strong>trapeze, <strong>running, photography, travel, naps</strong>
    Posted by deathandtaxes[/QUOTE]

I like you already.  And because you love many of the same things I do AND you sound rad, I will forgive your hatred of cilantro. 
    Furbaby pics please?  Do you ski or snowboard?  And where does one trapeze here in SoCal?
  • Options
    Hiya! I like you so far. What grade and/or subject do you teach? Also, I love your s/n.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Hey guys, cool nice to meet you. :)

The Magus is an awesome book, but people either love it or hate it. I've had friends read 100 pages in and refuse to pick it up again. I'm not sure why there's such a strong reaction. It's a book that grows with you. I first read it at age 22 and I identified more with the protagonist. I read it again at 27 and identified more with the antagonist. It's certainly a coming-of-age mid-20's kind of book. Maybe more for men more so than women, but obviously I really enjoyed it.

Favorite cheeses: buffalo mozzarella, provolone, some of those Trader Joe toscano cheeses (Syrah, cracked pepper, espresso - all of them are awesome give them a try!), scamorza, parmesan (with some balsamic drizzled on it). Not a fan of goat cheese (except for feta) or the marbled moldy French cheeses.

I took a lot of French in college but most of it has drained away over the years. I also speak some basic Japanese as I lived in Japan for two years.

Sorry I put in my dad's zip code for registration because I don't like sharing a ton of personal info with a website. He lives in SoCal. I live in GA and I live in a college town that offers all kinds of quirky creative classes. I go to a studio that offers trapeze, "vertical pole," and fabrics classes. I've been going since last September and slowly building up my strength and skill. It's a good upper body/core workout but you get a lot of weird bruises and chafing from the ropes and the bar.

I can ski but I've never tried snowboarding. I've only been skiing a few times in my life.

Cilantro is evil. Apparently a minority of people think cilantro tastes like soap. I'm one of those people. It frequently ruins my food at Mexican or Vietnamese restaurants. Here's an article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

I teach 12th grade econ. 

• Options
    I didn't see the comma between "Dr. Pepper" and "sandwiches" at first.  I was like "WTH is a Dr. Pepper sandwich?"

Do you like Harry Potter?  Who's your favorite knottie?  Tell us a corny joke.
  • Options
    Hello and Welcome!

Iphone, Blackberry or droid?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was just talking to someone about soapy cilantro yesterday!
    Have you joined the "I hate Cilantro" group?
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-HATE-CILANTRO/54754722016
    http://ihatecilantro.com/

Does raw fish strike your fancy? Is there good sushi in Georgia?
    Do you like MARTA?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Hi! : )

For some reason I also saw Dr. Pepper sandwich, lol.

I also do not like cilantro. I can handle it, but would rather not.

What kind of learnin' do you do with children? Or did I miss that?

Any pics of your fur babies?
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Hello there, sane newbie!  Welcome to NEY.

I do not care much for cilantro either, I never knew people thought it tasted like soap though.  I love learning random things like that, so thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I do like Harry Potter. I was a little late to the party and didn't start reading the series until Half Blood Prince came out, but I really enjoyed it. 

I haven't read any of the Knottie blogs yet. I will have to go and check them out. 

I am a Droid user. I wish there was an Instagram app for Droid, but otherwise I'm really happy with it! 

Here are the furbabies. The black cat is Jasper and he is 12 years old. I found him under the hood of my car on a rainy day when I was in high school. And the flame point is Loken Harper. He came from the local humane society over the summer and he makes a huge mess of everything these days. 

• Options
    Hi deathandtaxes, I like you :) And I think it's awesome that you biked across France when you were 20 years old. I'm 22 and I haven't done anything nearly as cool as that.

What's your favorite movie?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    They are some handsome kitties!!  I've never heard of the "cilantro tastes like soap" phenomenon.  I wish it didn't taste bad for you; it can be so, so delicious!!

P.S.  Elle & Elannis - I think you're both onto something with the Dr. Pepper Sandwich.  I'm thinking a pulled pork type deal with a Dr. Pepper sauce of some sort.  It's probably already on Pinterest!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:d09dec62-6324-4a10-b622-93735225d0c2">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]Favorite cheeses: buffalo mozzarella, provolone, some of those Trader Joe toscano cheeses (Syrah, cracked pepper, espresso - all of them are awesome give them a try!), <strong>scamorza</strong>, parmesan (with some balsamic drizzled on it). Not a fan of goat cheese (except for feta) or the marbled moldy French cheeses. Posted by deathandtaxes[/QUOTE]

Welcome! And dude, scamorza is amazing! But I find hardly anybody outside of Italy even knows what it is. How did you come to discover its blobby, cheesy awesomeness?
  • Options
    My favorite movies are Lawrence of Arabia, Marie Antoinette, and Brazil. Marie Antoinette is one of those movies that received awful reviews, and I understand why, but despite its shortcomings I really adore it. I also like a lot of other movies like Iron Man, the the LotR movies, Harry Potter, Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men -- stuff like that. 

I lived in Italy for five weeks teaching English a few summers ago, and my host family introduced me to scamorza which is impossible to find in the US. They would cut it into strips and place it on their grill and, oh my god, like dripping hot grilled cheese, smoky mild flavored. Freaking amazing. Now I've got a hunger for some cheese.

And I am totally down with some Dr. Pepper sandwich experiments. There are some slow cooker pork and chicken recipes where you add beer. What if you added Dr Pepper? Great idea or greatest idea? (Or worst idea?) 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:15d51f52-2c35-4d7a-8346-52583c74147d">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I lived in Italy for five weeks teaching English a few summers ago, and my host family introduced me to scamorza which is impossible to find in the US. They would cut it into strips and place it on their grill and, oh my god, like dripping hot grilled cheese, smoky mild flavored. Freaking amazing. Now I've got a hunger for some cheese. And I am totally down with some Dr. Pepper sandwich experiments. There are some slow cooker pork and chicken recipes where you add beer. What if you added Dr Pepper? Great idea or greatest idea? (Or worst idea?) 

That's so cool! And it totally explains the scamorza love. My BF is from Rome, and I've lived in Italy for 2 years now. What part of Italy did you live in? And did you ever try pecorella (my 2nd fave Italian cheese)?

Also, I think the Dr Pepper slow cooker chicken or pork could work... my mom makes some delicious Coca Cola chicken, so I don't see why Dr Pepper would be much different.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:15d51f52-2c35-4d7a-8346-52583c74147d">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]My favorite movies are Lawrence of Arabia, Marie Antoinette, and Brazil. Marie Antoinette is one of those movies that received awful reviews, and I understand why, but despite its shortcomings I really adore it. I also like a lot of other movies like Iron Man, the the LotR movies, Harry Potter, Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men -- stuff like that.  I lived in Italy for five weeks teaching English a few summers ago, and my host family introduced me to scamorza which is impossible to find in the US. They would cut it into strips and place it on their grill and, oh my god, like dripping hot grilled cheese, smoky mild flavored. Freaking amazing. Now I've got a hunger for some cheese. And I am totally down with some Dr. Pepper sandwich experiments. <strong>There are some slow cooker pork and chicken recipes where you add beer. What if you added Dr Pepper?</strong> Great idea or greatest idea? (Or worst idea?) 
    Posted by deathandtaxes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I like this idea. Some of you culinary-savvy ladies will have to experiment and tell me how that turns out! Lol

</div>
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Of course there is a recipe on pinterest.  I'm so going to have to try this...recipe calls for serving in taco sized tortillas, but you could easily sub a bun and make it a "Dr. Pepper Sammich"! :)

http://pinterest.com/pin/221943087856200508/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:46d993b3-8f4e-49f8-8475-f9e6a80d81af">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello All : That's so cool! And it totally explains the scamorza love. My BF is from Rome, and I've lived in Italy for 2 years now. What part of Italy did you live in? And did you ever try pecorella (my 2nd fave Italian cheese)? Also, I think the Dr Pepper slow cooker chicken or pork could work... my mom makes some delicious Coca Cola chicken, so I don't see why Dr Pepper would be much different.
    Posted by Daisy125[/QUOTE]

<div>I lived in Modena and while I was there we visited Venice, Florence, Verona, and Bologna. About eight years ago I visited a friend who was studying abroad in Cortona. Strangely enough I haven't been to Rome. Well, I've flown into Rome but I haven't seen the city itself. That's awesome that you live there with you boyfriend! Where do you work? Did you have a hard time finding a work visa? </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:6913f5ee-cc9d-4988-8050-fa1d48f8e812">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]Of course there is a recipe on pinterest.  I'm so going to have to try this...recipe calls for serving in taco sized tortillas, but you could easily sub a bun and make it a "Dr. Pepper Sammich"! :) <a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/221943087856200508/" rel="nofollow">http://pinterest.com/pin/221943087856200508/</a>
    Posted by dwest2201[/QUOTE]

How convenient that this should arise on the day I do my meal planning and grocery shopping for the week.  That's a sign, right?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:965e1a19-6203-4930-8969-a0ba2b03e744">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello All : I lived in Modena and while I was there we visited Venice, Florence, Verona, and Bologna. About eight years ago I visited a friend who was studying abroad in Cortona. Strangely enough I haven't been to Rome. Well, I've flown into Rome but I haven't seen the city itself. That's awesome that you live there with you boyfriend! Where do you work? Did you have a hard time finding a work visa? 

I haven't been to Modena or Cortona yet, but those other places rock! Rome is pretty awesome most of the time, you should give it a visit the next time you're in Italy. I work in tourism and it's a lot of fun. Of course the visa was hard to get, you probably know nothing comes easy in Italian beaurocracy!
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2012
    [QUOTE]Robert Downey Jr.
    oh guurrrrrlllll let me tell you a tale of how happy RDJ makes me... in my pants.

Edit: oh hai, 私も日本語を話して、専門でした。

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:63bc1ce4-d270-4d60-8e3e-e94e8355432c">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hello All : oh guurrrrrlllll let me tell you a tale of how happy RDJ makes me... in my pants. Edit: oh hai, 私も日本語を話して、専門でした。
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah RDJ is the hottest. Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man? I'll take them all. Can't wait for the Avengers this summer and the veritable man buffet that will be on screen. </div><div>
    </div><div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;">はじめまして!</div></div>
  • Options
    How many of you ladies are also waiting? If so, what is the current status? Does he have the ring? Or are you waiting to finish school or buy a house or get a job? Just curious to see where everyone else is at. 
  • Options
    I'm also waiting. We've been dating for a little over two years. He does have a ring, and he's had it since May of last year. We've already bought a house and have steady, well-paying full-time jobs. He says this year is the year for engagement, so I'm just... waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

• Options
    How many countries have you been too?

I am engaged now but I wasn't for almost 7 months before that while I was on TK
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Welcome to the Lion's Den.
  • Options
    Welcome! You seem interesting! I am engaged, but I started posting here when I was waiting. He popped the question a few months later. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:5eb6f2a7-efb9-442b-930a-b3d9f4d07690">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome to the Lion's Den.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]
    hahahaha that is the name of an ~adult store~ I passed in Kentucky on I-65 many a time as I drove back and forth from home in Nashville and university in Ohio...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:ff845ec0-648a-4b90-824f-6e31ec5d240a">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello All : How convenient that this should arise on the day I do my meal planning and grocery shopping for the week.  That's a sign, right?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Umm, duh!  Don't question it, just go with it.  And let us know how it is?! :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hello-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:16424f2f-8ac2-490f-9b85-b47068d3355fPost:3de270c4-8360-43f8-bbb5-12990776699f">Re: Hello All</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello All : hahahaha that is the name of an ~adult store~ I passed in Kentucky on I-65 many a time as I drove back and forth from home in Nashville and university in Ohio...
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm glad someone else knows about this! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards