Not Engaged Yet

Slow cooker recipes

My bridal party hosted a shower for me over the holidays, and one of the things I received was a crock pot! I'm excited to use it but have never cooked with one before, so tell me your favorite slow cooker recipes/tips/tricks!
Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

Re: Slow cooker recipes

• Ooh, I need to pay attention to this one! I love crock pot recipes! I don't have any though. I usually just throw a bunch of stuff in and see what happens, lol.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Yeah I was thinking about doing that but I don't want to burn my apartment down lol.

• Chicken Parmesan- Crack an egg, scramble it, dip boneless skinless chick boob in the egg, then coat chicken in Italian bread crumbs, in skillet, heat up one tbsp of olive oil, place boobs in pan, cook on each side approx 3 mins, place in crock pot. Take jar of spaghetti sauce, dump on top of boobs. If dinner is under four hours, cook on high, if more then four hours, cook on low. Once boobs are done and five mins before you eat, in crock pot put shredded moz cheese on the top to  melt. Cook noodles of course. Place boobs and sauce on top a plate of noodles.

• I love that you call chicken breasts "boobs" Stina. That is absolutely hilarious!
  • I'm with Ely.  I tend to wing it a lot.

Pork roast may be my favorite thing to cook in a slow cooker, though.  Throw it in there with some water and your favorite bbq sauce and cook until tender for easy pulled pork, or smother it with salsa, water, and taco seasoning for pork tacos.
  • Thanks for the ideas! Keep em comin.

Elle- the pork taco idea sounds tasty!

• I know not everyone's on a diet or needs low cal recipes, but pretty much any crock recipe (<--Click) from Skinny Taste has been good (with extra props to the Santa Fe Chicken).

I also second All Recipes. I also turn to Real Simple ( some recipes here). I also visit cooking light.com, which is part of a network of magazines, etc so you can access recipes from Southern Living, Food&Wine, MyRecipes.com, etc. I just enter "Crock Pot" or "slow cooker" in the search box and plenty come up (recipes)

Also, I prefer to either combine the ingredients at night and put it in the fridge or in the morning before work and cook during the day. It's still scary to me to leave the crock unattended, but I hate the smell of food cooking all night. The way my house is laid out the kitchen is below my bedroom and it sucks! But coming home to a food smelling house doesn't bother me. 

Yay for crock pot!!
  • 1 bag frozen chicken tenderloins
    2 bunches of kale, pulled off of the vein and cleaned
    2 cans white hominy
    2 cans chickpeas
    2 jars green salsa
    1 cup water

Pour it all in the crockpot and cook overnight. Stir it to break up the chicken. It's massively tasty hot or cold.

• We generally just wing it, but one of the things we make most often is a pot roast.  We usually get about a 2-2.5lb pice of chuck roast, sear on both sides.  From there, we put the roast in the crock pot with onions, carrots, sometimes potatoes, and sometimes parsnips.  Add oregano and lots of red pepper flakes (and any other spices we want), generally some garlic, a bottle of either (red) wine or beer, and then add water to fill it up the rest of the way so that the meat is submerged.  We then just let it go (I think low if it's cooking all day while we're gone, medium if we're around).  Add extra liquid if it gets low.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I like the pork roast too, but I usually do something more like this-
    Red Wine Pork-http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-wine-pork/detail.aspx

I made it last night- and now I'm going to turn around and make pork enchiladas with the meat.

ETA: This blog has a year's worth of crock pot recipes- http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/12/little-dipper-pizza-fondue-recipe.html
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • You ladies rock! I think I want to try a BBQ pork thing first like Liv and Elle mentioned. Thanks for all the links to sites and recipes. Lunar- that year of crockpot thing is awesome!

• When we do pulled pork we put the pork in and cook it with root beer. I forget where I saw the recipe but we tried it and it was amazing! Once it's cooked, pour out the root beer, pull the pork and throw it back in with bbq sauce, it's wonderful!

I love throwing in some chicken, vegetables and curry for the day and its perfect when I get home. Pork with Apples always comes out nicely too. Basically anything you cook can be done in a crock pot, it is quite possibly the greatest invention ever!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_slow-cooker-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:267f8725-8924-46b5-adcf-1ea6ff66c6d4Post:706aaa6e-0c22-41c4-83a6-a6ba74323e36">Re: Slow cooker recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know not everyone's on a diet or needs low cal recipes, but<strong> pretty much any  crock recipe  (<--Click) from Skinny Taste has been good (with extra props to the  Santa Fe Chicken ). </strong>I also second All Recipes. I also turn to Real Simple ( some recipes  here ). I also visit cooking light.com, which is part of a network of magazines, etc so you can access recipes from Southern Living, Food&Wine, MyRecipes.com, etc. I just enter "Crock Pot" or "slow cooker" in the search box and plenty come up ( recipes ) Also, I prefer to either combine the ingredients at night and put it in the fridge or in the morning before work and cook during the day. It's still scary to me to leave the crock unattended, but I hate the smell of food cooking all night. The way my house is laid out the kitchen is below my bedroom and it sucks! But coming home to a food smelling house doesn't bother me.  Yay for crock pot!!
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>All of this.  My personal favorite is the 'Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili' (<a href="http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">CLICKY</a>)

</div>

• Pot roast is probably my favorite.  Place chopped potatoes and baby carrots in bottom of crock pot, place hunk o' beef on top.  Mix 2 packets Lipton onion soup mix with warm water until dissolved and pour over.  Cook on low 6 hours.  DELISH!  15 minutes of prep.

Another Quickie is a whole pork loin covered in sauerkraut cook for 6-8 hours on low.  I serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans. 

Oh and buy some Reynolds slow cooker liners...as long as you down puncture the bag it makes the clean up super duper easy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And you can totally wing it...here are a few things I've done that worked...

Chicken breasts, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can water.

Chicken breasts, bbq sauce.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stina...I love you...and your chicken boobs. But in a totally normal/non-creepy way.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Super easy.... pulled pork for sandwiches.

2 lb pork tenderloin
    12 ounces of rootbeer
    Fav. BBQ sauce

Put pork in slow cooker pour in rootbeer put it on low for 6-7 hours.  Drain out liquids, take forks and shred pull apart the pork.  At this point its so tender poking it should make it fall apart.  Then pour in BBQ sauce toss and serve on buns or sandwich bread.  I served mine on Hawaiian Sandwich rolls with cole slaw and potato salad.  Easy peasy.
  • I LOVE my crock-pot!!  One of the best things I made recently was a Tomatillo Chicken Soup (<---- clicky).  Sooooo good!!
  • I made this recently. It was freaking delicious. 

Served it with some pasta (any will do). And I just used boneless skinless thighs. 
  • "Chicken Stuff"

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
    1 12 oz can of stewed tomatoes
    1/2 pkg of mushrooms
    2 onions large chopped
    1 can of water (use a soup can)

Let is party on low for 8 hours. Serve over your favorite rice or noodle for a hearty meal, or just by itself for a light meal.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • I forced H to buy me a crock pot last year for Christmas, and got like 3 books with recipies in them...I've used it twice.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have the hardest time actually starting something in there.  By the time I feel like looking through recipies and going to the store, it's too late to start something. 

I'm inspired by these recipes though to get off my ass and cook something this weekend. :-)
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_slow-cooker-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:267f8725-8924-46b5-adcf-1ea6ff66c6d4Post:9891f1a0-e998-4e00-8ce6-2cc3cefcb637">Re: Slow cooker recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stina...I love you...and your chicken boobs. But in a totally normal/non-creepy way.
    Posted by beanbot2002[/QUOTE]

Aw why thank you! Boobs is more fun to say than breasts.

• I just made awesome beef stew a few days ago..we love our crock pot!

1 pound of stew meat
    1 cup of flour
    2 chopped carrots
    2 chopped celery stalks
    4 red potatoes
    1 1/2 cup beef broth
    2-4 tbs of worcestershire sauce
    garlic to taste
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

add chopped vegetables, broth, worcestershire sauce, garlic, potatoes to crock pot.
    in a small bowl combine all dry ingredients and coat each piece of meat in the mixture, add to crock pot.
    add excess flour mixture to pot and stir.
    cook on high for 4-5 hours.

5/27/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards