Not Engaged Yet
Options

E-ring questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to TK. Just recently my boyfriend mentioned that I should try and pick out a ring so that he can propose to me soon. The conversation made me excited about the possibility of us getting engaged! :D

Anyway, i've been trying to find some rings I like online to get an idea. I'm a little lost though as I don't really wear jewelry. So far I've been liking the settings on James Allen, does anyone have any experience with them? Also, what do you guys think about this ring?
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/Ladies-14k-White-Gold-Pave-Tension-Setting.html

Re: E-ring questions

• Options
    It's interesting, but not my style. To be honest with you it looks too "trendy" and not something that you would want to be wearing in 20-50 years from now... but that's just my opinion.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Not my style. At all. 
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    That's really cool! But I'd be terrified the diamond would fall out. I'm super clumsy though. That being said, its completely up to you. Personally, I'm a fan of micropave settings with miligrain detail. You want something that is going to fit your personality and maybe even a bit of his. Welcome! A few questions you may want to answer if you plan to post regularly: How do you feel about The Hunger Games? Harry Potter? Any furbabies? How do you like your potatoes? Wine?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    James Allen is a great company.  I haven't used them myself, but I know several people who have.  I doubt you'll regret buying from them.

That particular ring isn't really my style. I don't like the size of the plates that hold the diamond.  They're enormous.  I feel like you would need a really big stone.  I've seen other tension-set rings I like, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest feedback. Maybe that ring is too "out there." Hmm it will be challenging to find the right ring. My personal taste leans toward modern, so finding something I like with lasting appeal might be hard. I like this one too but maybe it's also too "out there" http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7622.asp

I loved both the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I don't have any furbabies right now but I'm dying to get a cat! I like baked potatoes and cheap wine, lol
  • Options
    You should pick what you love.  While I will be honest that isn't my style, if that is what you love, show it to your BF. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to Re:Ering questions:[QUOTE]Thanks for the honest feedback. Maybe that ring is too "out there." Hmm it will be challenging to find the right ring. My personal taste leans toward modern, so findoing something I like with lasting appeal might be hard. I like this one too but maybe it's also too "out there" <a href="http://www.jamesallen.com/engagementrings/contemporaryrings/ring/item_5007622.aspI" rel="nofollow">http://www.jamesallen.com/engagementrings/contemporaryrings/ring/item_5007622.aspI</a> loved both the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I don't have any furbabies right now but I'm dying to get a cat! I like baked potatoes and cheap wine, lol Posted by Leo2014[/QUOTE]

Have you gone and tried on rings yet? Has bf expressed interest in going with you? Your taste may change once you see what they look like on your hand. Or you may totally love it still, which is totally normal. I say talk to bf and see what he thinks about you trying them on.

FI had me look at rings online and four months later went with me to look at rings. Seven months after that, he proposed. Moral: just because he says look, doesn't mean its happening asap.

I am so stoked about the hunger games premier. Favorite character in Harry Potter?

I'm drinking cheap wine right now so I agree. As long as it isn't Franzia...

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_e-ring-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2e31cdde-256a-41e2-80e8-bb16650351b0Post:dc2b3655-a5ce-4736-ab11-e2a2bf640ef5">Re:Ering questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Ering questions: Have you gone and tried on rings yet? Has bf expressed interest in going with you? Your taste may change once you see what they look like on your hand. Or you may totally love it still, which is totally normal. I say talk to bf and see what he thinks about you trying them on. FI had me look at rings online and four months later went with me to look at rings. Seven months after that, he proposed. Moral: just because he says look, doesn't mean its happening asap. I am so stoked about the hunger games premier. Favorite character in Harry Potter? I'm drinking cheap wine right now so I agree. As long as it isn't Franzia...
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

We haven't gone to try on rings yet, but that's good advice. Maybe I'll get some good ideas and better taste that way. lol I can't imagine my bf taking 7 months, but now that you told me that story, who knows. It's OK though, I'm not in a huge rush anyway.

My favorite HP character is Luna :)
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Ering questions:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Ering questions:In Response to Re:Ering questions: Have you gone and tried on rings yet? Has bf expressed interest in going with you? Your taste may change once you see what they look like on your hand. Or you may totally love it still, which is totally normal. I say talk to bf and see what he thinks about you trying them on. FI had me look at rings online and four months later went with me to look at rings. Seven months after that, he proposed. Moral: just because he says look, doesn't mean its happening asap. I am so stoked about the hunger games premier. Favorite character in Harry Potter? I'm drinking cheap wine right now so I agree. As long as it isn't Franzia...Posted by audrewuhWe haven't gone to try on rings yet, but that's good advice. Maybe I'll get some good ideas and better taste that way. lol I can't imagine my bf taking 7 months, but now that you told me that story, who knows. It's OK though, I'm not in a huge rush anyway.My favorite HP character is Luna : Posted by Leo2014[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have poor taste! I'm just saying it may change. Mine definitely did. I've never seen a tension setting like that in person, and I'm not that modern. Definitely talk with your bf about going shopping IRL and then making a decision from there.

Luna may be my second favorite. I'm partial to Ginny myself. I like her spunk and independence. I also really like Tonks for the same reasons.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_e-ring-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2e31cdde-256a-41e2-80e8-bb16650351b0Post:ed8c9dd4-55ee-4c33-83b6-bc45016428f1">Re: E-ring questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the honest feedback. Maybe that ring is too "out there." Hmm it will be challenging to find the right ring. My personal taste leans toward modern, so finding something I like with lasting appeal might be hard. I like this one too but maybe it's also too "out there" <a href="http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7622.asp" rel="nofollow">http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7622.asp</a> I loved both the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I don't have any furbabies right now but I'm dying to get a cat! I like baked potatoes and cheap wine, lol
    Posted by Leo2014[/QUOTE]

I really like this one.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    I love tension set rings, but yeah. That first was definitely NMS.

I think, if your BF's on board with it, the best way to really know what kind of ring you'll like it to try some on. By looking on the net I thought I'd like marquise stones with a mostly plain band, and hated stylised bands with round stones. But when I tried the marquise/plain band sets on I really didn't like them. I then ended up falling in love with a round stoned, wavy banded ring.

So if you can, I would go try some on :)

• Options
    travelerkristravelerkris member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Agreed with everyone who told you to go try rings on.  I thought I'd like the look of a certain kind of rings, but once they were on (I have tiny little hands) the larger rings looked plain silly, and I found that I liked really detailed filigre work and micropave.  I also thought I'd like princess cuts, but found that on my hand, round diamonds were much nicer.  Good luck and congrats! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you'll get a better idea of what you really like if you can go try on some different styles.  I didn't get to pick out my ring (it's an heirloom, passed down in the family) but thankfully I love it.  however, H and I have been talking about getting a smaller ring (maybe just a pretty band with little or no stones) to wear as well.

I've heard a lot of good things about James Allen! 

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7619.asp
    this one is modern, but at the same time it's basic style is classic so it doesn't look quite as trendy.  do you like it at all?

• Options
    If you love it, go for it.  It's not personally my style... my first reaction was what the heck is that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI was originailly dead set on letting me help him pick out my ring but one day he suggested we go try them on. And I am so glad we did. I thought I knew EXACTLY what I wanted. Boy, was I wrong. 

I fell in love with a ring that was not what I would have thought, and a ring that FI would have never picked out for me, at all. Go try on rings together, you may be completely surprised what you fall in love with.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I think you'll get a better idea of what you really like if you can go try on some different styles.  I didn't get to pick out my ring (it's an heirloom, passed down in the family) but thankfully I love it.  however, H and I have been talking about getting a smaller ring (maybe just a pretty band with little or no stones) to wear as well. I've heard a lot of good things about James Allen!  <a href="http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7619.asp" rel="nofollow">http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7619.asp</a> this one is modern, but at the same time it's basic style is classic so it doesn't look quite as trendy.  do you like it at all?
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

I like that one a lot. Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go with my bf to look in person for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards