Not Engaged Yet

Lennon Lives...

GOOOOODDDD Morning NEY! 

Sorry I've been MIA, just been pretty busy, (and feeling the BSC a bit) so I needed a break. But I have missed you ladies, so I'm back. 

Not much is new on my end, planning for the Japan trip is going well, money is being saved, and I'm still working for the Solo lawyer (for now.) Things on that front are not so great and I might be starting my own practice soon. The lawyer I work for has a sh!tty co-counsel agreement he wants me to sign ( No salary, no office, and he wants 60% of any money I earn while working for the 'Firm'.)

So, I've been lurking (@ Meg- Congrats!! @ Lunar, did you and Andrew change your wedding plans? @ Peek, whats up with the internship? also, kinda sad I missed FFF), but I know I've missed quite a bit more! Since I am too lazy to go back through all the threads, would you ladies be so kind as to catch me up :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lennon Lives...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lennon-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30dc262b-eda1-4a18-bb1c-5ed81398386ePost:3f2dcc62-e9cf-4765-b998-6e7881527536">Lennon Lives...</a>:
    [QUOTE]GOOOOODDDD Morning NEY!  Sorry I've been MIA, just been pretty busy, (and feeling the BSC a bit) so I needed a break. But I have missed you ladies, so I'm back.  Not much is new on my end, planning for the Japan trip is going well, money is being saved, and I'm still working for the Solo lawyer (for now.) Things on that front are not so great and I might be starting my own practice soon. The lawyer I work for has a sh!tty co-counsel agreement he wants me to sign <strong>( No salary, no office, and he wants 60% of any money I earn while working for the 'Firm'.)</strong> So, I've been lurking (@ Meg- Congrats!! @ Lunar, did you and Andrew change your wedding plans? @ Peek, whats up with the internship? also, kinda sad I missed FFF), but I know I've missed quite a bit more! Since I am too lazy to go back through all the threads, would you ladies be so kind as to catch me up :)
    Posted by lennonkdc[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Whaaat? That's kind of crazy. How hard is starting your own practice? How do you get initial clients? And welcome back =)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lennon-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30dc262b-eda1-4a18-bb1c-5ed81398386ePost:3f2dcc62-e9cf-4765-b998-6e7881527536">Lennon Lives...</a>:
    [QUOTE]GOOOOODDDD Morning NEY!  Sorry I've been MIA, just been pretty busy, (and feeling the BSC a bit) so I needed a break. But I have missed you ladies, so I'm back.  Not much is new on my end, planning for the Japan trip is going well, money is being saved, and I'm still working for the Solo lawyer (for now.) Things on that front are not so great and <strong>I might be starting my own practice soon</strong>. The lawyer I work for has a sh!tty co-counsel agreement he wants me to sign ( No salary, no office, and he wants 60% of any money I earn while working for the 'Firm'.) So, I've been lurking (@ Meg- Congrats!! @ Lunar, did you and Andrew change your wedding plans? <strong>@ Peek, whats up with the internship?</strong> also, kinda sad I missed FFF), but I know I've missed quite a bit more! Since I am too lazy to go back through all the threads, would you ladies be so kind as to catch me up :)
    Posted by lennonkdc[/QUOTE]

<div>If you were in DC, I'd totally work for you as your paralegal/receptionist.</div><div>
    </div><div>The internship is mostly awesome...but not really.  I spend most of my time analyzing data, and the more I'm here, the more I'm realizing and thinking that this field just isn't for me.  Nothing is certain, and I realizing that the more I'm here, the more I'm not certain that I'm willing to spend 8 years working towards a career that may never happen.</div><div>
    </div><div>All that being said, I was contacted last week by a recruiter for a legal staffing agency.  I'm planning on scheduling an interview for the end of Feb to fly home.  That gives them two weeks to place me before I come home!  So, fingers crossed.  I'm thinking it's a good thing that they called me.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lennon-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30dc262b-eda1-4a18-bb1c-5ed81398386ePost:cdcdd117-8237-4332-b4c5-2296dd30c73c">Re: Lennon Lives...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Lennon Lives... : Whaaat? <strong>That's kind of crazy.</strong> How hard is starting your own practice? How do you get initial clients? And welcome back =)
    Posted by swhite2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Its totally crazy, which is why I want to talk to him about it, but he seems to be avoiding me. </div><div>
    </div><div>As far as starting my own firm, I just need to get a PO box, form an LLC and get malpractice insurance. I'll work from home till I can afford office space and since I want to do criminal defense I'll apply for all the local court appointed counsel lists. </div><div>
    </div><div>And Thanks, I missed you guys!</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lennon - that is so exciting that you are considering going out on your own, I am super happy for you! I know it could get rough, but I'll be here cheering for you!

I agree that that co -counsel agreement blows. Can you counter? Is it negotiable?

BTW - I'm proud of you for admitting that when you feel BSC that you can take a step back to recollect yourself. :)
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • @ Peek- I would totally hire you!!! It sounds like this internship is helping you learn about what you like, as much as what you don't like- which is good! Good luck with the temp firm, and if you ever find yourself in the CLE, you've got a job with me :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh me, pick me, ill be your paralegal/office manager! I helped my boss go from a partnership to an LLC, took a lot of hours, but it was so worth it in the end!

That contract would be crap! How can he seriously think that you'd go for that? You're not stupid!  

• Hm...Andrew and I changed our plans a lot of times....LOL. But we have sent in our deposit- so now we are locked in. :)

http://www.saratogafoothillclub.com/

Free corkage! And we can bring in as much wine and beer as we please! :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • lennon welcome back lady!! I'm just a barrel of clusterfuckness lol. but I'm ok...getting better. what kind of law do you focus on??
  • @ lunar- The venue is lovely!!!!

@ Irish- Mostly criminal law, but I hope to find a good mentor an branch out a bit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lennon-lives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30dc262b-eda1-4a18-bb1c-5ed81398386ePost:08819358-4521-4e82-80f0-d7276a288aaf">Re: Lennon Lives...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome back Lennon!  I was wondering where you were! I do think the arrangement you're being offered is shitty.  I have a similar set up in my office, and if you have questions about it, you can PM me anytime.  Starting on your own is tough, but the most important thing is to minimize your overhead costs (which it sounds like you'd do with no office, support staff, etc.).  Don't spend money on fancy paper or letterhead, ect.  You can definitely do it.
    Posted by polo1425[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Polo- YGPM</div><div>
    </div><div>and yeah, I plan to keep overhead as low as possible, and I have found some great advice on the Lawyerist.com. I'd actually love to GTG with you (either IRL or a skype date) and discuss what you like about family law, since I'll need to diversify my practice, if/ when I get off the ground! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome back!  I say go for your own Business!  <3  I could be you secretary if you wanted...  :)  I am good at answering phones professionally, just ask Peeks, she called my work once :) 

Not too much going on with me.  I finished my first half marathon yesterday, which was pretty awesome, but now I am sick, so that sucks.  Besides that February is the month for wedding crazy stuff, lol. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Hi Lennon! Welcome back :) 

That's so awesome about you possibly starting your own practice! I really hope that works out because that contract/agreement sounds ridiculous & stupid. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards