Not Engaged Yet
Options

Gluten Free

Hi Ladies!!

Has anyone tried a gluten free diet?

1. If so- Why?
2. Did you see any results?
3. If not- have you ever wanted to try it?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Gluten Free

• Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My cousin did

1. If so- Why?
    She was always feeling sick to her stomach and sluggish.

She hasn't lost any weight, but she feels tremendously better. She has a hard time shopping and eating out though, but she's adapting well. She's been at it a year, btw.

3. If not- have you ever wanted to try it?
    I haven't ever wanted to try it because, like Yaga, I love bread and pasta and baked yummies. It can also be expensive and difficult to stick to.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My ballet teacher has Celiac, so she's gluten free. I think I would die if I tried that. I am a carb/gluten fiend.
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I live the gluten free life.

1. If so- Why?

I has celiac disease.

If you mean did I feel better, you bet.  If you mean about losing weight, kind of?  Now that I'm preparing my own food and not worried about cross contamination, the weight just kind of fell off.  I'm trying to work through the next 8-10 pounds.  Although at this point I'm not trying to lose weight so much as tone.  I finally feel healthy.

My two cents:  Gluten free is hard if you don't have to do it.  Seriously.  It's so much easier to pick up a loaf of regular bread that costs half of what the crap GF bread costs than to spend 3x the amount on a halfway decent loaf that seems to be half the size.  But we eat a lot of fresh veggies, meats and potatoes.  We eat rice and quinoa.  We've learned how to make our own flour and we're learning how to bake again.  We've learned where we can go out to eat, we've learned exactly what to say to waitstaff when we order so that we don't get sick.  And we've learned that when you try a new restaurant, you should always stay close to a toilet the next day.  It's not pretty.  But for us, it's a small price to pay for feeling better.  I used to not be able to get up in the mornings because I felt so awful. I couldn't stay awake in class.  I couldn't focus on my homework.  And then I went GF and I feel amazing.  I now walk 3 miles in the mornings with my mom and I'm running 3x a week in the evenings.  I don't believe that GF should be a fad diet.  You need to make it your lifestyle and stick with it or don't do it at all.  It really irks me when girls claim they have to be GF and you think you have a friend in it and then when everyone goes out to eat pizza, she goes with them and eats whatever the hell she wants. 

Sorry, I'm bitter.  But that's my two cents.  I think I remember you saying that you had some health issues.  My recommendation is that you pick up the book "Wheat Free, Worry Free."  It talks about celiac in depth, the gluten free lifestyle, and everything that goes along with it.  It was a definite help when I was first diagnosed.

<3
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gluten?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:31955987-abac-4d8b-9c71-0e8c5dbdc686Post:54024381-0400-4d88-992b-c5fba5880433">Re: Gluten Free</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>I think I remember you saying that you had some health issues. </strong> My recommendation is that you pick up the book "Wheat Free, Worry Free."  It talks about celiac in depth, the gluten free lifestyle, and everything that goes along with it.  It was a definite help when I was first diagnosed. <3
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

I sure do. However- my GI issues don't seem as bad as yours. However- I don't think I have a lot of carbs/gluten in my diet now anyways. Our meals pretty much consist oe a protein, veggie and salad. However- there are times when I can go to a new restaurant- and literally be in a panic 20 minutes later trying to find a bathroom. My go to restrooms are in super markets...since I know they always have one.

My new naturapathic doctor recommended cutting gluten for three weeks and reporting back to her, but I'm weary....However- I said I would do it- so I suppose I ought. I told her I would bring her a food diary.

Meeting with this holistic doctor was a TOTAL trip- I'll share during my dinner break (I'm working late tonight). It was a weird and awesome at the same time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gluten?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:31955987-abac-4d8b-9c71-0e8c5dbdc686Post:b5bf68cd-3727-4d92-adc3-10f5a0b19556">Re: Gluten Free</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gluten Free : I sure do. However- my GI issues don't seem as bad as yours. However- I don't think I have a lot of carbs/gluten in my diet now anyways. Our meals pretty much consist oe a protein, veggie and salad. However- there are times when I can go to a new restaurant- and literally be in a panic 20 minutes later trying to find a bathroom. My go to restrooms are in super markets...since I know they always have one. <strong>My new naturapathic doctor recommended cutting gluten for three weeks and reporting back to her, but I'm weary....However- I said I would do it- so I suppose I ought. I told her I would bring her a food diary.</strong> Meeting with this holistic doctor was a TOTAL trip- I'll share during my dinner break (I'm working late tonight). It was a weird and awesome at the same time.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I know a few people who are gluten-free, my mom included. If you read up on it, gluten is not a necessary part of the human diet. We love our carbs and starches, but did cavemen have loaves of bread and piles of pasta? No. It is possible to go gluten free, but I wouldn't say it will be easy since it is not how we're used to thinking about food here in the US.

If your doc has asked you to try gluten-free for 3 weeks, it's most likely to see if you have an allergy to it. When I had my gallbladder problems last year they first thought it was a food allergy. They wanted me to try three weeks off of dairy, then gluten, then one other I can't remember until they could figure out which it was. Basically, they only know based on your body's reaction (or lack there of) to the allergen. Most blood tests are not effective for diagnosing an allergy.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you feel any better? My doctor said she cut gluten and lost 80 pounds over two years without even trying- just kinda fell off.

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/gluten-free-weight-loss

I think that it could just be a byproduct of cutting out processed foods.

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're doctor is telling you to cut the gluten for 3 weeks, just do it.

When I was first having my stomach problems I cut dairy, peanut, wheat, and a few other things over a period of time. Surprise! I'm lactose intolerant. I feel so much better now that I don't eat dairy. 

Also, keep a food diary and also record how you feel. That can help identify potential triggers. I'm lactose intolerant, but there are also other foods I find consistently make me feel like crap (ie pickles) so I avoid them as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gluten?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:31955987-abac-4d8b-9c71-0e8c5dbdc686Post:f5cf7ab0-b31c-4d64-835a-2535dcfd74a8">Gluten Free</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies!! Has anyone tried a gluten free diet?<strong>Yes</strong> 1. If so- Why? <strong>I kept getting sick every time I ate bread products.</strong>2. Did you see any results?<strong>I wasn't sick as much, but I found out that it was the dairy products and egg in the bread products that were making me sick.</strong>3. If not- have you ever wanted to try it?
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to chime in. We had to go gluten free because doctors thought my guy had Celiac. (Turns out he didn't) but he was on it for 9 months. (I ate that way except when I went out with my friends.)

But there are LOTS of foods you can still eat, there are a lot of resturants that are starting to understand what Gluten Free is. Also, I did actually feel better when I was on it, and he felt better too. I think it was almost like a detox in a way. 

The things that got us through it was Chex, GF Bisquick, and Quinoa Pasta (way better than rice). There are many good recipes on the net. Also if you have a bread machine (you must really clean it out to get any gluten out of it, this goes for any plates, pans, etc), there are some really good bread mixes that are wayyy better than what you find in the store.

But if there is any possibliity that a sensitivity could be the issue, I would try it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards