Not Engaged Yet
Options

I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)

I am so f*cking pissed off right now it's not even funny. Not only was our first choice park booked on our date, but our SECOND choice is booked as well!!! The only parks left are too expensive or the pavilions are too small for our guestlist.

When we decided the actual plan of the wedding, I immediately called the county park commission to see if the park pavilion of our choice was available. I called them, during their regular business hours, over a week ago, and had to leave a message. They didn't get back to me until 4 days later to tell me the pavilion was booked.

So, yesterday, my MOH placed a call of her own to the county park commission and discovered that another park that was available, one we were very familiar with. FI and I agreed that we could make do with our second choice, but by the time this was decided, parks & rec was closed for the day (at 4pm!)

I asked FI to call and book the pavilion today, and he discovered that it would be cheaper if his parents booked it, because they are residents of that county. So, he immediately called his dad, who agreed. FFIL called them at noon to book the pavilion. They got back to him over three hours later and told him that it was booked already.

I can't freaking believe this. Our first choice AND our backup are booked, and they do not do waitlists. We have NO idea what to do. The only park in the county that isn't booked or too small is $400/day - and that's the price if you're a resident.

FI and his dad are going to try to come up with something else but I am so upset I can't think straight.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)

• Options
    Don't worry, it will work out. Can you change the date to one they have open instead of changing the venue?

• Options
    That really sucks, especially that no one seems to give a darn about getting back to you within a timely manner.

I'm getting ready for work at the moment, but I'll definitely be sending vibes your way. :( Sorry you're having to deal with such crap. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    That sucks, it sounds like they don't have their act together. I agree with Beth and Liv on looking for a different date. Take deep breaths! It will all work out. At least you didn't have your photographer lose your engagement pictures, your reception venue move to a place half the size of the old, and your DJ in limbo because she's having a baby. (this all happened to us lol) I know it's probably not much help, but things could be worse! :)
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    Breathe! It will all work out one way or another. LIke Beth said, is there a way to change the date a weekend ahead or a weekend after?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:cc5dd0b0-2594-493d-a61a-e8dd5b0ee567">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't worry, it will work out. Can you change the date to one they have open instead of changing the venue?
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

We have everything else booked for the 9th - caterer, synagogue, rabbi - except the pavilion, so moving everything would be more of a hassle. Besides, we chose 9/9 for a reason: the Sunday before that is Labor Day weekend (meaning the cost of hotels and airfare go way up) and the Sunday after that is Rosh Hashana. Any earlier or later and it might be too cold or too hot for an outdoor wedding with no AC or heat, especially for our older relatives.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    Well in that case the only thing you can do now is start looking for another venue and making calls.

• Options
    The only reason why we went ahead with booking everything else on the 9th is because as of 4pm yesterday, our second choice venue was still available. We had no idea that it would be booked THAT FAST and it would take them over THREE hours to get back to my FFIL.

• Options
    How big is your guest list? Could you do a backyard wedding?

• Options
    Could you call and see if they have anything like a membership that gives you a discount? We booked our venue at a park and it was like $400 something for the night until I signed up to be a "Friends of the Park" member ($15) and then it dropped to like $112. I'm not sure if they'd have it in your area, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it. Either way, you will figure something out. I'd ask around and see if anyone knows of any creative places in your area that also provide space for weddings.
    -Ely

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:515abc87-98f1-4960-bc72-d2836c368121">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]How big is your guest list? Could you do a backyard wedding?
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Welp, FFIL just sent over the guest list for their family (it was basically the same list that was complied from FSIL's wedding) and it's got 58 people on it. That's not including our friends, our wedding party, or my family. I'm about ready to cry right now.

We don't have a backyard, and FI's parents' yard is very, very small.

• Options
    I'm sorry, that really sucks.  I know this would mean moving your other vendors too (if they are available, it shouldn't be a problem), but could you move your wedding to a different day the same weekend?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:003b881d-aad3-4f85-a88c-f7b77a8fd22a">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you call and see if they have anything like a membership that gives you a discount? We booked our venue at a park and it was like $400 something for the night until I signed up to be a "Friends of the Park" member ($15) and then it dropped to like $112. I'm not sure if they'd have it in your area, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it. Either way, you will figure something out. I'd ask around and see if anyone knows of any creative places in your area that also provide space for weddings.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean by a membership...explain?

• Options
    Don't cry. This will work out. You might just have to start thinking out of the box for the venue. Really the only thing that will help right now is focusing on finding a new venue. Do you think anyone on your local board could help?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:4c9cdb03-b84d-4d2d-9d6f-f13f64f74545">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, that really sucks.  I know this would mean moving your other vendors too (if they are available, it shouldn't be a problem), but could you move your wedding to a different day the same weekend?
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Jewish weddings can only take place after sundown on a Saturday, or Sunday. Friday weddings are <em>verboten</em>.

EDIT: and our second choice park was only open until 7pm (and that one is open the latest). So that would not work.

• Options
    Could you see if one of the original venues is available at the end of August? That would only be two weeks earlier than your original date so I doubt the weather would be too terrbily different.

If that doesn't work I guess you'll have to get creative at looking for wedding venues. Something that we found out when we were looking for venues is that a lot of places exist for rental that aren't marketed or labeled as 'wedding' venues. So for example if you google wedding venues in your area, you will be limited as to what pops up. However, when we looked at our city's website, they actually have a whole list of downtown 'event spaces' that we wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    I understand that this is frustrating, but no one is TRYING to fvck up your wedding.

Breathe.

You will figure something out.

Whether you end up changing the date, finding another venue, whatever...It's going to be fine. I get that you're upset, and you're allowed to be upset for a minute. Then you need to take a deep breath, let it go, and move on.

As long as you end up married, it's all good!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:a96885df-290f-4513-bff7-8edf6f814b9b">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent) : I don't know what you mean by a membership...explain?
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not sure which kind of park you're looking into exactly, but the one we have is a metropark and they have a membership to be a "Friends of the Park", which basically gives them money for maintenance and you can go to meetings if you want and they send you emails about current events in the parks. I've never gone to a meeting. I just put in my $15, I got a sticker in the mail, and they lowered my price $300. I don't even live in the county. Their website is pretty vague, so I'm not sure how else to explain it. I didn't know about it until after I had booked it, but they let me get a refund anyway.
    -Ely

• Options
    What about your beach idea? Was there a reason, other than the chairs, that you vetoed that one? Could that work?
    -Ely

• Options
    IS there something available that is slightly out of town? I know we have tons of towns around my city with cute parks and stuff, for the 30 min drive it'd be worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:c550849b-0c7a-4e09-bc3b-f57c3e8bc148">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about your beach idea? Was there a reason, other than the chairs, that you vetoed that one? Could that work?

We vetoed the beach due to travel expenses being difficult for all of us.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:9a65c802-f88f-4ead-b79b-76d407847fbd">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand that this is frustrating, but no one is TRYING to fvck up your wedding. Breathe. You will figure something out. Whether you end up changing the date, finding another venue, whatever...It's going to be fine. I get that you're upset, and you're allowed to be upset for a minute. Then you need to take a deep breath, let it go, and move on. As long as you end up married, it's all good!
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

I know, I know, and I'm done being upset. Now I'm frantic. I've been upset, pissed off, and frantic in the span of an hour and now I have heartburn. By later tonight, I'll be okay. 

• Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:584ff928-bd12-412f-add2-1ca6cfbf8c49">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent) : I know, I know, and I'm done being upset. Now I'm frantic. I've been upset, pissed off, and frantic in the span of an hour and now I have heartburn. By later tonight, I'll be okay. 
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

I second the idea of maybe going a few miles out of where you were originally looking and see if there are any parks in nearby towns. You might even be able to ask your caterer or someone in the wedding business for recommendations. I don't know if they'd know exact prices, but I'm sure they could have some ideas.

P.S. I hope you feel better. It'll all work itself out! : )
    -Ely

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:00c63cf8-cbe0-48ad-aa23-925a423e19a9">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Something that we found out when we were looking for venues is that a lot of places exist for rental that aren't marketed or labeled as 'wedding' venues. So for example if you google wedding venues in your area, you will be limited as to what pops up. However, when we looked at our city's website, they actually have a whole list of downtown 'event spaces' that we wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
    Posted by mookow86[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea. I will see what I can find.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_i-cant-frickin-believe-this-wr-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41fe55ea-c66d-42e5-8527-42fedbb24751Post:37e50600-a914-4a1c-b2e7-cf38521d1f80">Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Can't Frickin' Believe This!!! (WR Vent) : I second the idea of maybe going a few miles out of where you were originally looking and see if there are any parks in nearby towns. You might even be able to ask your caterer or someone in the wedding business for recommendations. I don't know if they'd know exact prices, but I'm sure they could have some ideas. P.S. I hope you feel better. It'll all work itself out! : )

I know, and thanks. FI yelled at the park commission for their negligence already and they explained to him that on that day, the only park in the county that was not booked or too small was still going to cost us $400-$600. So, we are going to keep looking. We just don't want our guests to have to travel very far from the synagogue to the venue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards