Not Engaged Yet
Options

NWR Etiquette Question

My car is getting to that age where it's getting expensive to maintain. Last month it had almost $2,000 in repairs, and yesterday the "check engine" light came on again. It's going to the shop on Monday. If it comes back with something really expensive, I think I am going to get rid of it for a new(er) car.

Here is my dilemma: BF's aunt and uncle have an SUV that I really like. His aunt mentioned in passing, almost a month ago, that they would be selling it soon. It no longer fits their needs, so they want to get something else. I know the car been well maintained, and that model has good reviews. I am interested in buying it from them.

I want to make them aware of the fact that I am interested in the car. Is it appropriate to ask about when they are thinking of selling it? If so, how should I bring it up? I'm not quite sure how to handle it. I don't want to feel like I am pestering them, but they did put it out there that they wanted to sell the car soon.

Re: NWR Etiquette Question

• Options
    Pockets143Pockets143 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps mentioning you remember hearing they were thinking of getting rid of their car, and asking if that was still the plan.

Or you could mention you're wanting a new car, and ask them if they know anyone who is selling one that's in good condition
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I were you, I'd have BF call them up and ask if they were still planning on selling the car. If they are, he could mention that you are interested. It doesn't have to be weird, especially if he handles it since it's his family.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with casually saying "so, I know you mentioned that you were interested in selling your car, and I was wondering if you still are."
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to put it on their radar that I am interested, because they can sometimes be a bit spontaneous. It wouldn't shock me if one day we went to their house and the car was gone, because they just randomly decided the day before was the day to sell it or trade it in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_nwr-etiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:46cb0230-764b-44a7-9d3d-dd735e1b8ccfPost:aa06b40d-9976-4ca1-b863-2eda382edeec">Re: NWR Etiquette Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should do a little bit of research to see what their car would sell for.  (Look up private sellers vs. dealerships, too.)  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been doing that as well. I also checked out some insurance quotes, too. I want to make sure I think everything out before I make any decisions. My hope is that I can find a reliable car in good condition from a private seller, so I won't have to pay the sales tax and extra fees at a dealership.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I find nothing wrong with casually bringing up the fact of "oh, so remember when you said you might be selling your car? How's that going?" or like a PP said, have your BF say something since they're family...nothing wrong there! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Update: I mentioned it to them today that I would be interested in buying it. We were talking about the repairs my car might need, and I mentioned buying a new car if the repairs will be too expensive. They said they were wanting to buy a new car as well. Then I asked when they planned to sell their car and told them I was interested. They said they would definitely keep me updated on that, and it should be pretty soon.

Coincidentally, we actually have the car this week. They let us borrow it because they're going out of town, and we needed a spare since mine will be in the shop for at least a day. It's like an extended test drive!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards