Not Engaged Yet
Options

Opinions on dieting...

So, I am getting serious about getting in shape. I feel ok about my weight and size but I would love to feel great about it.

I'm wondering what you guys think about dieting.  I don't want a fad diet because I can't stick to them and I always gain back all the weight and then some. So if you guys have diet plans that work for you (that are free ie. not WW) I'd appreciate the advice.

Also, how do you feel about being hungry? My mom has always said you have to feel a little hungry when you are trying to lose weight so your body eats up the stored fat. But I DO NOT like feeling hungry. Today I had a green smoothie for breakfast (1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup frozen mixed berries and two handfuls of spinach with a little Fuze to water it down.) and now I am hungry already. I am drinking water and green tea to fight away the hunger but I want food bad and its still an hour until lunch.

So what do you think? Have a snack (granola bar) or just stick it out until lunch?

Also, I am working out 3-4 days a weeks as of right now doing mostly cardio and a few exercises at high reps with low weight.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Opinions on dieting...

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think "diet" is a four-letter word because implies transience and difficulty, even if that's not what the word was originally supposed to mean.  I believe more in learning what types of foods are best for you and, more importanly, learning to enjoy them.

Re hunger:  I think there are different types of hunger, and learning how to differentiate them is key.  When we're used to feeling full all the time, we'll pretty much feel hungry any time we're not, because we've tricked our bodies into thinking that we should always feel satiated.  It's important to learn to tell the difference between that "habit hunger" and real hunger that tells us we're low on nutrients.  And your mom has something of a point -- it's when we reach that real hunger that our bodies dip into fat reserves for the calories they need, but you definitely shouldn't be hungry all the time.

I hope all that made sense. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think the best diet is no diet. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. At various points, I've used MyFitnessPal.com to track my food and exercise. You set a goal for how many calories you should take in each day (never fewer than 1200), and that number adjusts based on the amount of exercise you do. I could never stick to a specific diet, so calorie counting has been the easiest way for me.

It's also important to watch the kinds of food you eat. I'm not going to get into all of it, because I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but you know - whole grains, fruits & veggies, protein - those sorts of things keep you feeling fuller, longer.

Also, I've heard that the best balance is to start eating before you feel hungry and stop eating before you feel completely full.

I think if you're starving right now, it's okay to go ahead and have a small, healthy snack.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Yaga on eating fruit instead of a granola bar. Most granola bars have a lot of processed sugar, which will usually lead to a crash shortly after.

I think you should add some protein to your breakfast, it should help keep you fuller until lunch. I used to be really bad about not having protein, but it really helps keep you full longer, because it takes longer for your body to break down. You could even just toss some protein powder into your smoothie. There are a lot of low-carb powders out there, if you're worried about that.

As for diets, I've tried so many different ones and various extremes. What I've learned is that you need to eat. Simple, I know, but what I mean is that food is the fuel for the body. In order for it to work properly and to be able to maintain the weight loss long-term, you need to make sure it has the fuel to work. I'm trying (not always successfully) to eat real foods, and avoid processed and convenience foods. I'm also working on eating realistic portion sizes, because in the past I would eat way more than the real serving size at meals.

Good luck!

Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies... I think I will let this hunger just be here. Its not that long until lunch. Also, I think I'll start adding some yogurt to my smoothies for extra protein. I'm just not a morning person so I need quick breakfast ideas. Eggs sound great, but take too long. lol Maybe I can get BF to start making me breakfast sandwiches like he used to. (1 egg, 1 piece turkey bacon and 1 slice of pepper jack on whole wheat toast)... Hmmm I'll have to work on that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that diet is a four letter word.  I always say something to the effect of eating/being/living healthier, because that should be the goal more so than dropping a few el bee's, which is more of a fringe benefit in the big picture, even if it is the intial motivation. 

If you are looking for a webstie that offers advice, meal plans, workout plans and forums for free I highly recommend sparkpeople.com which offers all of the above.  You get all the plans, and can modify then...and they have trackers for all calorie intake as well as calories burned with workouts (even non-workout workouts like cleaning or raking leaves, etc.).  I used that site after my son was born and it was great!  Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SparkPeople behaves a lot like WW but is free - it just tracks activity, calories and other nutritional facts instead of converting them to 'points'. I've kind of fallen off on my tracking but found it very helpful when I was first starting to lose weight, as it made me more aware of what I was eating (there were a lot of sneaky foods that I had no idea were contributing to my weight gain until I started tracking) and exactly how much activity I needed in order to lose. What I like about this more than dieting is that it's sustainable. You learn through tracking what you need to know to make lasting changes in your diet; what foods to avoid or how to compensate if you really want to eat something that's "bad". Like if I'm going to game night and I know we're having pizza, I might make a different decision about what to have for lunch. Things like that. And ultimately you reach a point where you've established new habits and don't need to be quite as anal about tracking every little thing. Good luck!
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend a free food tracker like sparkpeople.com.

It will help you know exactly what you're putting into your body, and it can give you an idea of how much you're burning. Although a heart rate monitor would be more accurate.

As PPs mentioned, getting a balance of nutrients at every meal or snack will keep you full. Again, sparkpeople can help you balance your macronutrients.

I also think that you shouldn't be afraid to go heavy with your weights. Look into a program like Chalean Extreme or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Muscle is metabolically active, meaning it uses calories at rest, unlike fat. So if you can build more muscle in your body, you will burn more calories just sitting on the couch. You can definitely build muscle without getting bulky or looking really muscle-y. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You should rate your hunger on a scale from 1 - 10. 1 being STARVING and 10 being so full that you want to throw up.  I've read that you should not let yourself drop below a 3-4 (ie. never grumbling stomach) and never higher than an 8 (eat until you're satisfied, not "full").  It's kinda arbitrary but putting clear thought and a number to it seems to help me. 
  • Options
    karlee4everkarlee4ever member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally i have to eating every few hours. I love eating and hate being hungry I just pick small, low cal, high fiber and protein snacks. I like yagas idea to eat something that lasts longer. EDIT: for example, i eat a smoothie for breakfast but save the peanut butter toast for an hour and a half later. Then i do the same for lunch. I eat a salad then midway through the afternoon i munch on baked chips and maybe even snack on an apple before dinner. I eat dinner around 730-8 so i dont get hungry before bed and eat mindlessly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was a fan of the old WW but don't like the new one. Even the online version is $$, so that's out.

I like the Live Strong counters better than Spark People. Live Strong has lots of info. Go check it out.

Bottom line on weight loss: Calories burned /> calories consumed. Find out how much you burn in a normal day (no exercise, just your normal work and activities), then eat fewer calories than that. If you exercise, call it a bonus, unless you are training for something and burning MAJOR calories, then you'll need to up your calorie intake.
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend some sort of calorie tracker. It's pretty amazing once you start keeping track. I did this last year and did lose weight when I kep to my daily calorie allotment. Then I fell off the wagon.

We had a nutritionist come in to talk to us at my last workplace. She advocated many small meals rather than fewer larger meals. It helps you feel less hungry (and feeling really hungry can lead to eating too much). While I don't always do it, I try for breakfast, lunch, 4pm snack, and dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're like Karlee and like a lot of little snacks/meals i have a friend doing the 1 Million pound challenge online and she swears by it. I think you eat smaller portions of better meals, it's free, you get shopping lists and there are tracking materials.
    Rampaging bears are the answer to all of our cultural missteps
  • Options
    doubleSS07doubleSS07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I did weight watchers about 2 years ago which helped me to lose 40lbs and it was great for really helping you to recognize exactly how much you are consuming in a day.  Like the other ladies said there are quite a few of the free "point" calculators out there..even free phone apps for on the go. 

These last few stubborn lbs I'm getting off using The Eat Clean book.  It's a bit tough to cut out what they want you to at first but it's really worked for these last 15lbs.  They want you to cut as many processed foods and sugars from your diet as possible which makes planning essential but it has helped me kick the soda addiction even if it was just diet soda.  You have to eat 5-6 times a day using a combo of complex carbs, proteins and fats.  You do feel hungry every 2 hours or so but it's because your body is ready for more nutrients.  My favorite part is not feeling bloated anymore and no calorie counting which for me was totally foriegn.  The Eat Clean website is free if you are interested in checking it out.  my BF even eats the meals lol

Good luck with which ever plan you choose!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! I will be sure to post my progress so you know (and I know) that I'm following the plan.

I have the loseit app on my phone now so I'm going to use that to track my food everyday and make sure I don't go over. I am also going to try to eliminate some of few remaining bad carbs in my diet.

• Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also have a lot of luck incorporating more protien in my diet- and switching most carbs to whole grain complex ones. 

I've used ww.fitday.com.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_opinions-dieting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c2ed55e-6ed1-4a86-b35c-36547d6a427ePost:902615b3-e043-4c03-b300-62084c5a8b10">Re: Opinions on dieting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also have a lot of luck incorporating more protien in my diet- and switching most carbs to whole grain complex ones.  I've used ww.fitday.com.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Less carbs and more protien is key.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would focus on eating whole foods (whole grains, plan yogurt with fruit mixed in, etc) rather than processed. I would stick to having 5 small meals a day so that your body is more apt to staying full all day.

I am on a plan where I have taken all sugars out of my eating, and at first you have a headache for a few days but that is your body getting rid of toxins. I now feel awesome because I'm eating correctly and drinking enough fluids 

I also wouldn't call it a diet, I would call it a lifestyle. It's easier to get past the 'why am I eating like this' phase. :)

Oh and for breakfast (and every meal really) I would concentrate on having a protein, complex carb and some veggie/fruit. For breakfast, I have 4 egg whites, a cup of cooked oatmeal w/cinnamon, and an apple. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to message me! Losing weight definitely isn't easy. On this plan I lost 3 lbs past week, so something is working!

Edited.
    Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
    "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP here that a calorie tracker and not dieting but really ensuring healthy choices is the way to go. Honestly this thread promoted me to join sparkpeople.com after months of putting it off , and I am sorry I dsidn't join sooner. I've failed at accountability these last few months and this puts it in black and white what exactly I am choosing to eat and put into my body. I also found a workout challenge on there and support forums to be helpful and my husband signed up too.

There are many options like it online so find whatever works best for you :) Good luck :)
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    snorwo3snorwo3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_opinions-dieting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c2ed55e-6ed1-4a86-b35c-36547d6a427ePost:5c622d05-711c-47bc-888d-0119e15b9e79">Re: Opinions on dieting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly think the best diet is no diet. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. .
    Posted by AnneR15[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>THIS THIS THIS.</div><div>I am not a fan of fad diets AT ALL. Some diet systems are healty.. like Weight Watchers, for example (if you do it right and don't use all your points on a Big Mac or something). But diets like Atkins where you're cutting out entire food groups are not something I'm fond of. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards