Not Engaged Yet
Options

Anniversaries

I met H 3 years ago today, which is the day we celebrated as our anniversary.  So that brought up a couple questions...

What do you count as your anniversary?  The night you met?  Your first date?  The day you decided to make it official?  Etc..

How many anniversaries have you had with your BF/FI/H?

What do you normally do for your anniversary?

What was the best anniversary you've had so far?

What are you planning to do for your next anniversary?

Do you (plan to) celebrate both your dating anniversary and your wedding anniversary?

Anniversary

Re: Anniversaries

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    What do you count as your anniversary?  The night you met?  Your first date?  The day you decided to make it official?  Etc..
    We go by the day we first hung out, got drunk, made out & had sexytimes LOL which was June 9th 2007. Basically because it's the easiest to remember (it was 1 week after my college graduation party) & because neither of us were with anyone after that day even though we weren't 'offical' for a few months.

Go out to dinner

Our second because he surprised me with roses

We'll probably just go to dinner like usual. I imagine it'll be the last year we celebrate on that day because the following year is the year we'll get married & then use that date.

Do you (plan to) celebrate both your dating anniversary and your wedding anniversary?
    Nope, we'll just celebrate our wedding anniversary once we're married. I'm sure we'll still mention June 9th, we just probably won't do anything for it. 

ETA: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're not really sure when our anniversary is, because our relationship didn't begin like most. We just had this weird gradual transition from friends to FWBs to something more. So I know it's somewhere in the fall, but pinning a real date on it would be next to impossible. Maybe Facebook remembers the day I changed my relationship status? Anyway, we've been together 5 years now, but we don't do anything special to celebrate. Once we're married, I'm sure that's the only date we'll acknowledge.
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We consider it the night we re-met even though we weren't official for a while after that.

2 so far

Absolutely nothing. We were both married before and we never really got attached to the date. We figured we would just wait to celebrate our wedding anniversaries.

N/A

N/A

No, we will only celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The first night we hung out is what we consider our anniversary. We were pretty much committed to each other after that night. 

We've also celebrated 1 year of him living here and ! year of meeting and 18 months of dating.

Just 1.

Eat good food, drink good  drinks and just have us time :)

Our 18 months was pretty awesome with the steak and lobster dinner :)

No idea! lol

I don't know... More likely to celebrate meeting and wedding would be my guess.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We count our dating anniversary as the night we realized we were heading towards a relationship. I had recently broken up with my ex and I knew that FI and I liked each other so we just started hanging out. We had played pool on like a Monday night just hanging out. We went to party together that Friday night and realized we were heading towards a relationship (we knew we were destined to be together since we were a kick a$$ beer pong team...lol).

This year we just hung out at home, but we have gone out to dinner in the past.

I really don't know. I'm not a big "anniversary" person, so they don't really stick out in my memory.

Next dating anniversary we will have been married for 11 days!

I doubt it since they're going to be so close together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy anniversary!

What do you count as your anniversary?  
    The day we made it official, but it's still kind of arbitrary since we kind of just moved from dating to a couple without any fanfare. It would be approximately the same time we met as well (just a year later).

Go out for dinner. That's really it. Maybe for our 5th (if we're not married before it) we'll do something a bit bigger.

Our second - he made reservations at an Italian restaurant and didn't tell me where we were going. It was cute and fun.

No idea. We might not get to our 5th dating anniversary before we get married. If we do, I'd like to go a weekend away, but we'll see.

No. We'll just celebrate our wedding anniversary. I'm sure we'll still mention our dating anniversary, because it still is kind of special, but it won't call for any celebration.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What do you count as your anniversary?  The night you met?  Your first date?  The day you decided to make it official?  Etc.. When we made it Facebook official, I sh*t you not. I don't remember the date of our first date.

How many anniversaries have you had with your BF/FI/H? Two. Leading up to our first year, we did monthly anniversary celebrations.

What do you normally do for your anniversary? Dinner, movie, whatever.

What was the best anniversary you've had so far? Last anniversary was pretty baller. We celebrated a few weeks after the fact. Massage, opening of joint accounts, seeing an Egyptian exhibit at the Frist, dinner, shopping at our favorite bookstore, movie.

What are you planning to do for your next anniversary? No clue. That's almost a year away.

Do you (plan to) celebrate both your dating anniversary and your wedding anniversary? I hope they're one and the same.

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

As I said, we count it from the day we met.  We met in a bar, talked for a few hours, went on our first date the next night, and were together ever since.

Today makes 3

Go out to a fancy (expensive) dinner

I've liked them all, but this year is special because it's the last 'dating' anniversary we'll celebrate since we just got married two weeks ago. (it seemed odd not to celebrate an 'anniversary' this year, since our wedding was just creating a new one).  We used giftcards my boss got us last year for Christmas at a very nice steakhouse last night, and I'll probably cook a nicer dinner tonight at home and watch a movie (H is on a different schedule this week, so he'll actually be home for dinner).

Considering next year will be our one year wedding anniversary, we might do a trip if we can, but if not, I'm sure we'll just do dinner again.  I like it that way.

Aside from this year, no (and well, technically we didn't have a wedding anniversary this year, just a wedding).  We'll probably still acknowledge it, but we don't do an actual 'celebration' of it anymore.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Neither of us remember when we first met or when we made things official. We know we met sometime in November, so we made Dec. 1 our anniversary because we thought it would be easy to remember. Romantic, eh?

4. #5 is in less than 2 weeks. SHOOT...I need to make a plan!

We normally do a nice dinner (sometimes at home, sometimes out) and then exchange cards. We don't always do gifts, but if we do they're $20 or less. Generally it's just a day to remind each other we're still going strong and to set aside some time for lovin'

We went downtown for dinner one year and I surprised BF with a hotel room. I secretly packed him a bag and brought it to the hotel earlier in the day along with some chocolates, wine and lingerie. He had no idea and was thrilled when he found out!

I'm planning to read other's "bests" on here and get ideas because it's less than 2 weeks away and I haven't even thought about it yet.

I have no idea. It would be weird to go back to a 1st anniversary after this long together though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So this weekend Lunar & Liv asked me if I had any ideas of when BF might propose...any special upcoming dates - and I was like "maybe when we stay at the Brown Palace for my office holiday party?". Totally spaced the upcoming anniversary. Memory fail.

::deleting from memory to prevent self torture now::
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Right now we count our anniversary as the day we met. We had already been talking for several months, and were madly in love with each other from the second we saw each other.

Three

We normally go out to dinner and exchange cards.

They are all pretty similar so none of them really stick out.

Our next anniversary will be after we're married, so I doubt we'll celebrate it.

Nope, just our wedding anniversary. Though there's a chance we could be on our honeymoon for our dating anniversary, so I'd at least acknowledge it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We count the day we met, even though we didn't make it "official" for several months. We were exclusive and inseperable from day one anyway! 

Two

Just dinner somewhere we've wanted to go.

We went to a local "gourmet" pizza place and it was awesome.

That's not until May, so there are no plans yet. Probably will be dinner.

If we get married we will only celebrate the wedding anniversary. I think it's weird when people celebrate dating/engagement anniversaries aside from a "Wow it's been a year since we got engaged!" A girl I know on facebook has a monthly anniversary for the wedding date, celebrates the engagement and dating anniversaries, and they make a big deal out of ALL of them. That's overkill IMO.

• Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We count it as the day we made it "official". Funny thing is, there has always been debate on if June 8th was the actual date. I think it is but FI thinks it's the 9th. We got engaged on the 8th so I guess it's "officially officially" the 8th.

SEVEN.. Holy freaking crap.

Go out to dinner. Last year we went to see The Hangover 2 and had Thai after.

The one where he proposed :)

Who knows, maybe dinner? lol

Not sure yet. We'll probably acknowledge it but not do anything for it.
  • Options
    doubleSS07doubleSS07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We celebrate our anniversay as the night he asked me if I'd be his girl friend which was New Years Day 2007.

This year will be our 4th

Well since it's on New Years we usually have some sort of plan.

Actually last year was awesome because we went to Texas and celebrated with a close group of friends that had recently moved away.  It made me even more happy because I miss my girls.

This year I have no idea!  We are working on figuring that out

We will definitely celebrate the wedding anniversary and since the dating one is New Years we'll always do something special. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Until we got married, our anniversary was the night he first asked me out (July 4th), but we usually would do something the day before, due to the 4th being a holiday. Now, it's the day we got married.

Three.

We made a pact when we got married that instead of doing anniversary gifts, we would take a long weekend trip somewhere - just the two of us - every year to celebrate. We would both rather have the quality time and memories together than more stuff. This year, we're repeating our mini-moon and doing a weekend in Disney.

Our first anniversary was pretty great - I cooked a fancypants Italian dinner (lasagna, bruschetta, garlic bread, asparagus) and we had a picnic in our pjs in the middle of the living room.

Long weekend in Disneyworld.

Yes and no. We're done with the dating anniversary, and we're planning to celebrate our wedding anniversary every year. However, we have made a tradition to mark the anniversary of the night he proposed - we go get ice cream at a local ice cream parlor and go around town to see Christmas lights (which is what we did the night he proposed).

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would count our first date as our anniversary...if I knew when that was. I swear, I don't have a freaking clue what the date was. I know it was in January, a week to two weeks before my birthday, but I can't remember the day. 

This January will be our 2 year.

We might go out to dinner or cook something extra nice at home. We go out a lot, and we cook in a lot so it's almost like we don't really do much special.

Well, I guess technically we've only had 1 (our 1 year). We don't celebrate 6 months or anything. So I'll go with that!

Not much. I'm in a wedding next year and the engagement party is the weekend we would have done something. Then my 30th birthday is shortly after that and I was thinking of combining the two, but I'm not even sure here'll be time to celebrate. Winter is always really busy for us. 

No. Considering I don't know when our actual anniversary is, it makes sense to just use our eventual wedding date.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We were sure what counted as our first date so we just picked a date at the end of September which is around when we started officially dating and went with that.

Nothing big, we spend the day  together and just have fun.

Umm...we really aren't big on celebrating it so none of them really stick out as the best.

We don't plan that far ahead.

No, it seems really unnecessary to me.

• Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We suck at anniversaries. Our first date was a long weekend (because it was LDR - but still - HOAR!) so we consider all of Labor Day weekend to be our anniversary.

However, we forgot it this year. We had just moved, etc, and realized two weeks late when out with some friends. I said, "Happy anniversary! I bought you half of a house!" He replied, "Happy anniversary to you too! I bought you the other half. Thank goodness it's the same house or that would be really awkward."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anniversaries-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:51e0e145-6440-4386-bc63-e6e925df06bdPost:27652f24-e817-4b9d-8852-6fb45cb689df">Re: Anniversaries</a>:
    [QUOTE]We suck at anniversaries. Our first date was a long weekend (because it was LDR - but still - HOAR!) so we consider all of Labor Day weekend to be our anniversary. However, we forgot it this year. We had just moved, etc, and realized two weeks late when out with some friends. I said, "Happy anniversary! I bought you half of a house!" He replied,<strong> "Happy anniversary to you too! I bought you the other half. Thank goodness it's the same house or that would be really awkward."</strong>
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

LOL...I get the impression your SO and my DH would get along pretty well, based on the senses of humor.

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We kind of remember our first date/kiss/when we started talking, but our real anniversary is the day we became official. June 25th.

We've only had 1 anniversary so far. Christmas will be our 1.5 mark officially.

We've only done it once, but we will take a day and go for a picnic at one of the parks nearby and I think we ended up going out for a nice dinner too and then came back for a movie and wine.

I'm gonna go with our last anniversary because it was our only real annual anniversary, lol.

Probably something similar to what we did this year.

We'll probably do a mini date for our dating anniversary for a while, but I imagine we'll just celebrate our wedding anniversary really when we get married.

-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    QuiltingNurseQuiltingNurse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

We celebrate the day we decided it was "official" which happens to be my half birthday! We had started hanging out about 2 weeks before and had spent about 12 of the 14 days together. He had to go back home (2 hours away) to get more clothes and work stuff and wasn't supposed to come back for another day. He decided to surprise me with Tacos and Tequila as a half birthday 'party' since thats what me and my friends always did. After lots of tequila we decided that we were in an 'official' relationship!

Just one so far!

Well, for 6 months we took a trip to Duluth (it was my birthday as well) so we celebrated one day as my birthday, and one day as our halfsies. For one year, he took a couple extra days off from work and we just hung out in our brand new house!

Well, I'd have to go with the only one we've had! It was nice to just spend time together and we had just bought our house so we wanted to enjoy it alone with no company over. 

It's not until July, but we'll probably go camping and have another Taco and Tequila party since I love Taco/Tequila days (and it'll be my halfsies, so it's tradition to do!)

Nope! I want my half birthday back! When/if we get married it will only be wedding anniversary!
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anniversaries-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:51e0e145-6440-4386-bc63-e6e925df06bdPost:e8699293-debd-49cc-b1bb-648c94375ba4">Re: Anniversaries</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this weekend Lunar & Liv asked me if I had any ideas of when BF might propose...any special upcoming dates - and I was like "maybe when we stay at the Brown Palace for my office holiday party?". Totally spaced the upcoming anniversary. Memory fail. ::deleting from memory to prevent self torture now::
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

Lol, probably a good idea. My FI didn't want it to be an obvious holiday/"special" day for us, so maybe yours will be like that too and it will happen when you least expect it ... so no reason to think it'll happen on your anniversary! : )
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

What do you count as your anniversary?  The night you met?  Your first date?  The day you decided to make it official?  Etc.. Our first date which happened to be the second time we had ever met lol

Our third one will be in January.

Go out to dinner at a nice place.

There isn’t really one that stands out.  We don’t do that much fun stuff for it. It’s just another day for us.  The one time we had dinner at Fats was pretty good.

I have no idea. It’s a Monday on a school day so most likely nothing.

The wedding one.  Both seems excessive to me.  :/

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your anniversary, btw :)

The night we decided to make it "official". It was after a year or so of being friends and it was the night of our first one-on-one date.

Four so far.

Dinner, movi
    es, that kind of stuff.

We went to Niagara Falls, Canada last January. We ended up booking a really nice hotel on the Travelocity Secret Hotel Booker Thingamabob and had a great few days. I love Canada!

I wish we could travel again but we'll probably just stay around here and cook dinner together. That's fine too, as long as we're together :)

I'm sure we'll still remember our dating anniversary but I feel that wedding anniversaries take precedent.
    White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We don't really count a 'dating' anniversary.  We do celebrate days that have a significant meaning for our relationship but I don't really think of them as anniversaries.  We acknowledge the day we met, our first 'real' date, the day we became 'official' and when we got engaged. 

We met 4 years ago this upcoming May.
    We've had 2 wedding anniversaries.

We are going to try to go out of town around that time each year, but we'll see how that pans out with our crew of kids. 
    On the actual day, we watch our wedding ceremony and get Thai food.

We've only had 2 wedding anniversaries, but so far I cannot chose. 
    Our first anniversary might be seen as a bust.  Life was insane and our plans were squashed.  I got very, very sick a couple of days beforehand.  Plus we had a newborn and all.  DH was just so dang sweet and helpful.  It was a weekend dedicated to what marriage is all about and I will always cherish that 1st anniversary.
    This year, we got our first weekend away sans kid.  Every single bit of the weekend was perfect.   

We're hoping to go to Carmel again.  However, I'll be in nursing school and we'll have two kiddos, so who knows. 

We'll probably always acknowledge our dating milestones but we won't do anything 'big.' 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We count our anniversary as the first time we spoke.  So, New Year's Eve.

We have had 7, 4 of which we have been able to spend together.

We normally go to a new town and celebrate by going out to a great dinner and having drinks afterward.

Last year when we were in Boston.  We had dinner at Hammersly's and then went out for the countdown.  After that, we went back to our bed and breakfast where we drank wine in the rooftop hot tub as snow fell around us.  It was pretty awesome.

We plan on spending our 8th anniversary in Charleston!

I think we will "celebrate" (as in do something special) for our wedding anniversary, but still acknowledge our dating anniversary (especially since it's on NYE, so we'll be celebrating anyway!). 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was our "dating" anniversary but now it will be our wedding anniversary

Usually a small, sentimental gift or a nice staycation (somewhere local)

The one he proposed on.  D'awwww

It's 9 months away so we'll just have to wait and see

Probably not

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Happy Anniversay Jem!

When we made it official. Technically it was about 3am on Sat the 14th when this happened but a couple hours earlier was Friday the 13 so he wanted that to be our anniversary so he'd never forget lol.

Just hang out together and go out to eat.

None were any more special than another really.

I would like to go away to the Caribbean for our 5 year in April but I don't know if it will be in the budget. If not it will just be the usual.

Maybe they'll end up the same? There's a big chance that may not happen though so probably the wedding anniversary will be the more celebrated one but we will always acknowledge Friday the 13th :)  We actually say Happy 13th every month to each other.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We count our anniversary as the day we officially started dating, December 17th.  

Our 7th anniversary is just a few weeks away :)

We usually just go out to dinner, but we try to do something fun as well.  Last year we went to the Vancouver Aquarium, and then out for dinner at one of the places we recognized from back home out here.

I don't really have a favourite.  We try to do something a little unique every year.  Last year was really fun since we were still new to BC, and decided to do some exploring.

I don't think the dating anniversary will be as big of a deal, but I'd like to at least cook a nice meal or something on the day of.  I agree the celebrating every single thing (dating, engagement, wedding, other special moments) would get a little too crazy.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What do you count as your anniversary?  The night you met?  Your first date?  The day you decided to make it official?  Well, we met in high-school and were friends for a bit and then I dated one of his best friends for 2 years.  We caught up through IM and facebook here and there other the years then met again in the summer of 2009 (right after exH and I decided to part ways).  We randomly ran into each other and then hung out all night catching up, closed down the bar and he and a couple friends slept at my house (I slept in my room/the spare and they slept in the living room.  We consider that a pivotal moment, but we don't celebrate it.  A few months later on November 1st after a Halloween party we had our first kiss (just a kiss) and it was amazeballs...we acknowledge that date as a special day, but we don't celebrate it, or any other day.  I honestly have no idea when we became official. 
    What do you normally do for your anniversary? Nada
    What was the best anniversary you've had so far? N/A
    What are you planning to do for your next anniversary? N/A until we're married I suppose.
    Do you (plan to) celebrate both your dating anniversary and your wedding anniversary? Nope, we'll just celebrate our wedding anniversary once we're married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards