Not Engaged Yet

What are your thoughts on...

mangagment rings? Not limiting this to just rings but also including engagement watches etc. Do you feel the guy should receive something too? If you did give your guy a "ring" when was it given? 

Re: What are your thoughts on...

• I chose to give my FI an engagement gift about a week after we got engaged. I don't think it's a must but I just felt so compelled to give him something because he did so much preparation for our engagement. I gave him an engraved flask and he really liked it.

I think it's a super nice thing to do but it's not something that you should feel you have to do.
  • FI wanted an engagement 6 iron. I laughed. IMO, a man should actually want something like this. You wouldn't get a girl who doesn't like diamonds a diamond ring, right? Why get a guy a ring when he doesn't like them? Kwim?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • I totes read this as "Management Ring" and wanted one. Oh well.

I'm with Aud & Mhollister - I think most guys probably wouldn't want a ring, but in that case it's nice to give them some sort of meaningful gift. If your guy would like and wear a ring, that's fine too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My FI thinks mangagement presents are weird.  And has never heard of anyone getting anything before.

Actually, he thinks it's weird that several of my family members sent cards and small gifts after announcing our engagement.

So, if you were to do some sort of engagement gift, you'd have to also take into account how he'd feel about it.  My FI would be all "uh, what's this?"  And if it were a power tool, he'd like it.  But otherwise?  He'd probably be eh about it.

I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • M and I discussed this briefly.  It irritates him that I like the idea of getting him a gift, and he knows if/when he pops the question, he either needs to have already purchased what I plan on getting him, or pipe the fark down.  He's been lusting after a $3000 watch for a few years now.  I told him if we get engaged, I'll buy it for him.
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-are-your-thoughts-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5482f73e-c132-4c86-9821-f78ad3e14a1dPost:8687934e-9161-4e33-955c-41bcc464b3a8">Re: What are your thoughts on...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally I don't think B would ever want a ring for an engagement, but if we were to get engaged I'd probably want to give him some sort of token. He's also not a watch-wearer so I'm not sure what it would be, but obviously no need for me to think about that now. I for some weird reason think it's sort of strange for a man to get an engagement ring, because typically men only wear one ring and it symbolizes marriage. <strong>So if I see a man with a ring I don't think "oh, he might be engaged" I think "oh, he's married."</strong> I'd rather wait and give a guy a ring on the wedding day. I like the idea of other types of gifts though to signify the occasion.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

This exactly. I would assume he's married or it's a religious thing.

My best friend got her H a ring before they were married and we used to work together. Customers were always like "Oh hey man, I didn't realize you got married, congrats!" And then he would explain it was just a ring for their engagement and I think it confused people.

I won't be getting BF a ring when we get engaged but, I think I'll most likely get him a gift. He doesn't wear jewelry so I have no clue what I'd even buy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited March 2013
    I was just interested to see other knottie's opinions on them. My mother bought my father an engagement ring, I think it was a cultural thing with my fathers family, but I had never known about it until I saw an article on them and told her about this crazy new fad. I do think when J proposes I will want to get him something but for now that is all up in the air. Maybe the next generation of gaming consoles will be out by then.  
  • It's not common in my circle to get men engagement rings but if I do get engaged, I'll probably want to get BF something like scuba diving gear or something that he really really wants. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-are-your-thoughts-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5482f73e-c132-4c86-9821-f78ad3e14a1dPost:e9b262ae-a6dc-4421-bb9a-ece776bc4780">Re: What are your thoughts on...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your thoughts on... : I totally get getting a present but for some reason I also can't fathom buying something for $3000. I guess that's counterintuitive since he'd probably spend that on a ring, but I feel like he'd prefer that would go toward the wedding. Or maybe we are just poor and you're not haha.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, I'm poor right now.  We won't be getting engaged until we have enough in the bank to pay for a wedding, and part of a down payment on a house, so the goal is to not be poor at that point.</div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly, the way I look at it is that that watch is something he'd actually wear for the rest of his life.  If it's going to come from me, I'm going to put a lot of time and effort into making sure that it's good quality and classic, so it doesn't go out of style.  Those just happen to be more expensive than others.</div>
    I french with my man
  • I would totally get a ring because then everyone knows he's TAKEN!!!!!!
  • I didn't get FI a gift when he proposed. Maybe it makes me an asshole but I didn't feel a need to. I definitely wouldn't have gotten him a ring because I find that strange or a watch because he doesn't like/wear them. 

• BF wouldn't want a ring. I've thought about getting him a watch but I don't think that's really his thing either. I probably won't get him anything.

• I didn't give H an engagement gift, so I spent extra money and got him a Montblanc watch for our wedding.  He nearly peed his pants with excitement.
  • If/when he proposes, I'll probably get el senor some beer brewing things. Or just a ShitTon of his favorite beer that is not easy to come by. Either way...he's gettin booze. Cause booze is the gift of true love. ;)
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-are-your-thoughts-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5482f73e-c132-4c86-9821-f78ad3e14a1dPost:b8d8c5ca-b6ef-4c16-ac0f-f453b287979e">Re: What are your thoughts on...</a>:
    [QUOTE] Cause booze is the gift of true love. ;)
    Posted by beanbot2002[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>True story. BF's favorite gift ever was the beer of the month club.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with Rdr I didn't get H anything.  We also didn't have the money but at the same time what could I get him that he would wear? He would most likely want a tool of some sorts.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-are-your-thoughts-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5482f73e-c132-4c86-9821-f78ad3e14a1dPost:cb437192-48c7-48cc-b125-77db6ca3e233">Re: What are your thoughts on...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I spent a solid 30 seconds wondering wtf a "management ring" was, until I reread the OP.</strong> Fail. I think I would have felt silly giving H a ring before his wedding band. He would have felt weird wearing it. Now he all but refuses to take his wedding band off <3 I did get him an "engagement" gift though. Several hundred dollars worth of remote control car parts, so he could finish the one he was building. He was super excited, and then broke it a week later :/
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

<div>I did the same thing! </div>

• I didn't get FI anything when we got engaged.  Wait, he got 'engaged' FB status, which was a big deal to him for some reason.  :)  He's not a jewelry guy in general, but he's very excited about his wedding ring.  He IS a watch guy, and has several ridiculously expensive watches.  Like you, Peek, I'd considered buying him one as a wedding gift, but the one he wants next is $5000 and I can't afford that.  Maybe for our 10 year anniversary! 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • If we got engaged, my BF would probably be most happy if I got him a Star Wars Force FX removable blade lightsaber.

We're kind of weird sometimes.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-are-your-thoughts-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5482f73e-c132-4c86-9821-f78ad3e14a1dPost:a30eb6aa-0568-4344-af11-9019de38c993">Re: What are your thoughts on...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If we got engaged, my BF would probably be most happy if I got him a Star Wars Force FX removable blade lightsaber. We're kind of weird sometimes.
    Posted by KeptInStitches[/QUOTE]

That is kinda awesome!

H got and wore his ring about six months before we got married. That's just when he picked out what he wanted and it came in. I don't think he cared if people assumed he was already married. I did work with someone who got her H a less expensive engagement ring that he wore until they got married, and he switched to the nicer one.
  • Um, I got my H 3.5 years of sex before we got engaged. Totally counts, right????

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited March 2013
    I really hope people are still watching this thread because I have an update. I was talking to J on skype about what to get him for his birthday I am horrible at picking gifts so I like getting his input on ideas. All of a sudden he sends me this post :

So now I am curious who on this board knows him or if it is the weirdest coincidence ever. So I send him a message back saying im confused I was talking about birthday gifts and why would I be buying him an engagement present.

And then he says oh I guess I am terrible at keeping secrets. So I ask what he means because I am really confused at this point and he says that he isn't putting a date on it but for it not to come as a surprise when he proposes. I am all smiles right now. 

ETA: No I will not be spending 19K on that but I might be getting him a collectible version. 
  • In Response to Re:What are your thoughts on...:[QUOTE]Um, I got my H 3.5 years of sex before we got engaged. Totally counts, right???? Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Best gift EVAR!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards