Not Engaged Yet

Decide my fate! (Now with 100% more decisions)

Okay, did I mention I'm prone to hyperbole? Ring shopping has driven me crazy. I was about to say let's have someone recreate the one we saw last Sunday (with a few changes) and then I saw a different ring I liked today. Now I'm torn, so I invite you to help me choose.

Note: both are sets.

Style 1 (shown without center--it would get a 0.75 carat Moissanite):

Cost: $1500-$1800

Style 2 (shown with a 1 carat diamond--I'd actually have a 0.75 carat Moissanite):

Cost: $2000-$3000 (it was about $3000 at the store, but could probably be recreated for less)

Re: Decide my fate! (Now with 100% more decisions)

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The thing I like about #2 better than #1 is that it is still unique (and so gorgeous!) while having an element of being classic - a big factor for me, since it's something you'll be wearing for a really long time, and presumably every day.

Was the $2000 - $3000 for #2 the price with a diamond? Do you know what the cost difference would be with Moissanite?
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like #2 very much. And personally, I'd rather spend a bit more and get something I really love than settle for something else. You'll be looking at it the rest of your life! Just save for a bit longer, if you need to, or, as you said, look into options for having someone do a custom job for less. Please keep us updated on your progress!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I saw Style 2 at a local shop. The price for the e-ring setting + band was $2550, so I'm estimating the cost of adding the Moissanite and tax. I think having it recreated would be a bit cheaper. I just got a ballpark figure from a different jeweler on Style 1 at around $800 for the setting and another $300 for the Moissanite, so I don't think Style 2 should be a whole lot more.

I'm going to show my photos of Style 2 to BF tonight, since he wasn't able to go with me in person. I know he really likes Style 1, and it's important to me that he likes the ring, too. I don't think I'd be dissappointed with either choice.

BF was willing to spend up to $7k for an actual diamond ring. I'd prefer to keep things to around $2k or less because I don't want super-expensive jewelry.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I really like the second one. the first one seems like too much to me.

• jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The second one seems more delicate while still being interesting with lots going on.  I really like it!!
  • edited December 2011
    I like number 2 personally.

I think number one would be good for some personality types, but I remember you said you wanted something a little less "blingy". Just remember you will want something you can wear now and when you are 70 :)

GL and congratulations!
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like #2.  But which one do YOU like more?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    edited December 2011
    I know Paige, I know. I'm having a tough time deciding. I think I might be leaning towards number 2, but I'm going back to the store to look at number 1 again today and take more pictures. I'd really like to see them both side-by-side.
  • fontassidyfontassidy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like number 2 just because it has a little less going on. The super bling is not my personal style at all. BUT, I hope that you can decide on the one you like best. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    I like # 2 it is beautiful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_poll-decide-fate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:54ab75ad-d369-4356-bb15-82cd805f76a0Post:1ce3fb8e-e281-4b69-abcb-5c9243e5a2f4">Re: Poll: Decide my fate!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know Paige, I know. I'm having a tough time deciding. I think I might be leaning towards number 2, but I'm going back to the store to look at number 1 again today and take more pictures. I'd really like to see them both side-by-side.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

<div>Good choice!  Get some pics and sit them side by side for a while.  You don't have to decide right away, either.  Take some time, look around some more.  </div><div>
    </div><div>What does BF think?</div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    edited December 2011
    BF likes both. I think he likes #1 better, but he's also adamant that I get whichever one I like best because I'm the one that has to wear it. He's been awesome through this process.

We went to look at #2 together at lunch, and I'll go back and look at #1 again after work. I took a bunch of pictures, too, so I can sit at home and go back and forth, slowly driving myself crazy.  =)
    edited December 2011
    So I decided on style 2. We went to a different jeweler to ask about recreating it. He said he's just picked up that brand and would sell it to us for quite a lot less than the other jeweler. We decided to go with a different man-made stone called Lannyte for the center. It was whiter than the Moissanite.

We placed the order, and the total with center stone and taxes was just over $2K (over $500 less than the setting alone was before tax from the other place). Yay!

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Exciting! I'm sure it will be beautiful, but you know you have to PIP after the proposal, right? Congrats! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yay! That's awesome that the new jeweler is able to do it for less. And I agree with desert, pics after the proposal! :)
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
    edited December 2011
    I promise! Thanks for the support ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards