Not Engaged Yet
Options

Dress me!

Alright, so I go back to work after 4 months off next week. Most of my work clothes are for winter, and the few that I have for the summer months are kind of lacking in style. I'm hoping to go shopping on Friday to pick up a few new pieces. Recommend some items you think I should probably have (either specifics, or just more generally). 

Oh ya, and in case you missed it I live in Canada, so the summer is fairly toasty, but only lasts about 4-5 months (so I don't want to spend a boatload). The stores I can shop at are also somewhat limited because of it. You Americans have way more selection!

[To help you, I'm 21, working for a university in admin. Most of the work is on-campus, but sometimes I have meetings or events to attend off-campus. I'm petite - 5'4", 105lbs, and lacking curves. My office is air conditioned (sometimes too air conditioned), but there is always a chance that I will have to walk 20 minutes across campus to a meeting, so layerability is key. Dress code is fairly standard for an office - basically, no jeans and nothing too short/revealing.]
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.

Re: Dress me!

• Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Do you have  a Limited?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can't say I've heard of it, Peek. 

Edit: Too bad we don't have it (if the website I was on is what you were referring to, and I think it probably was). There was some stuff on there I really liked! Some of it was similar to things I might find at Jacob here, actually.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    edited December 2011
    Liv - Around here, we have GAP and Banana Republic (although it's silly expensive for some things). I didn't really think of GAP, for some reason, but I think it would be a good place to get some of the basics. Light grey and khaki are definitely colours I need to look for - I have black pants/capris coming out the wazoo already. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beads, let's just go shopping.

I live off of cardigans and blazers in the summer, because my office is always way too cold from the AC.

I really like to get stuff from Ricki's, and it's usually decently priced. I've been happy with the clothes. And I heard that Laura/Laura petites has a buy 1, get one 50% off right now on tops. Maybe BR sale rack?

I was just in Winners a couple weeks ago and I picked up some cute Anne Klein tops that are office appropriate.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dress-12?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:54b9b6a3-05e6-48de-af95-8b98e1e7e489Post:dc7bb19e-5907-4108-b8d4-c53110b1ce16">Re: Dress me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress me! : It is like you are speaking a different language...a different shopping language. So many shops unexplored! I am intrigued.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

It can feel like that for me sometimes too... we're starting to get more American stores up here now. We just got Victoria's Secret and Target will be coming in a couple years or so.

The biggest difference I've noticed are the chain restaurants.

I like getting work/dress clothes at Laura sometimes. <a href="http://www.lauracanada.com/laura/en/index.spy">CLICK</a> if you're curious

Winners would be like T.J. Maxx... I think.

I don't know what to compare Ricki's too. <a href="http://www.rickis.com/">CLICK</a>
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait for our Target! 2013!!!!

And I'm no help.  I lurves Laura, Penningtons/Addition Elle and Old Navy.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Laura reminds me A LOT of Anne Taylor/Loft.  Ricki's is kind of like Limited/Express/Macys, except way more affordable.  I'd love to find clothes that price in those stores.

ETA: Ricki's actually reminds me more of a store they had in Germany...Orsay.  God I miss that place.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    edited December 2011
    Bren - Ohh ya! Rickis! I totally forgot about it. Also, I <3 Winners. Seriously. Half my clothes come from there. 

Liv, I know that GAP and BR are basically the same (Old Navy is part of the company as well). I think GAP is a bit cheaper though (sometimes). And I love their sale rack! 

We don't have Target...yet. It's coming sometime though! I can't wait for that - I've been there in the US and they have great deals. Really, not till 2013 though Paige? That makes me a sad bear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    edited December 2011
    PS - Bren, YGPM
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YGPM back, Beads.

I really want to go shopping now. But I have no real need to. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Target's headquarters are in my hometown. Yet another reason why MN is the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dress-12?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:54b9b6a3-05e6-48de-af95-8b98e1e7e489Post:a3c7bfa2-a851-4b72-b7d0-e855c136e1e9">Re: Dress me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really wish you guys had Target. It is my favorite. However, maybe that saves you from spending $100 every time you go in the store. Do you guys have stores that it is impossible to leave without spending $100 (or whatever equivalent) because there are so many awesome things?
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Dollarama? Maybe that's just me and I'm easily impressed though. I think our Target equivalent would be Zellers, but Zellers sucks. Which is why we're getting Target. Wal-Mart's more popular here. Or maybe Sears?
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    edited December 2011
    Zellers is definitely our Target equivalent, but it's nowhere near as awesome. I can't go to Costco and leave without spending at least $100; does that count? Other than that, Canadian shopping is sort of lame.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work in a very similar setting and I'm 23. My clothes consist of a few skinny cut ankle length pants(<- clicky) in black and white, flowy sleeveless tops (<- clicky), 4-5 sundresses (<- clicky) that are either jersey knit, cotton, or silky, a NICE jean jacket (<- clicky) and several cardigans(<- clicky) . Also a few cute belts to wrap around cardigans and dress and cute sandals (<- clicky) and aummery flats do the trick if you are walking a lot!

Hope the clickys help, and good luck! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards