Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Non-religious ceremony

I grew up going to church every Sunday, as did my fiance.  However since we've been on our own, neither of us remained commited to our faith. We both feel that having a religous ceremony in a church would be hypocritical on our parts.  Is there a way to have the ceremony based on our committment to eachother and not the committment to our long ago faith? Does anyone have any ideas on how to hold a ceremony without involving religion? What other "rituals" can we do in place of the religios aspects?  We are planning on pouring sand to signify our unity, but other than that I dont know what else to do. Is the ceremony supposed to be only based on religion? Any feedback is much appreciated! 

Re: Non-religious ceremony

• Options
    Google Secular or Civil Wedding ceremonies.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    H and I were both raised Catholic, but we also both left the church years ago.  We agreed on having a civil ceremony.  As we got married in a Las Vegas hotel chapel, we had to have a minister officiate. However, we were given the opportunity to request a secular service.

The minister spoke in general terms about marriage, we exchanged vows and rings, then the minister read an Irish wedding blessing I had asked to use.  It took all of ten minutes and it was awesome.

Check with any potential venues to see if they have a list of officiants you can speak with regarding your wants for your ceremony.  You can also ask around on your local board to see if anyone can recommend an officiant for you.

GL!
  • Options
    Tons and tons and tons of variations.  As Trix said, try Googling.  :)  There are also some good books that help to break down the main areas of a ceremony that are most common.  We used this --> http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Ceremony-Planner-Essential-Important/dp/1402203438/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303333236&sr=1-7
  • Options
    My mister and I are not religious at all. To appease our grandparents there will be one verse at the beginning about how marriage is a 3 piece rope.. me, him, and God tying us together. That's it that's all and we wont have to deal with our grandparents! :) His grandma almost fainted when she found out it wasn't going to be in a church as is! 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards