Not Engaged Yet
Options

AW: I Got Some Good News!

Last semester I applied for a teaching assistant position and didn't get it. I was pretty devastated by that but was okay with them giving me a research assistant position. Unfortunately, being a research assistant sucks because they don't actually have us do anything.

Anyway there have been quite a few issues with one particular TA this semester. He has been cancelling class, had alcohol on his breath during lecture, gave a completely inappropriate quote to the school newspaper, and hit on a student who later complained that he made her feel uncomfortable. So the TA supervisor told me this morning that it is very likely that next semester I will get to teach at least one, possibly two, classes! I'm ecstatic about this news!

I also got an e-mail from a professor from my undergraduate program saying that she would love for me to come down and teach some workshops in her classes next semester. Both of these are going to be great experiences for me and I will have some experience on my resume when I graduate and I'm trying to get a job!

Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!

• Options
    That is awesome! 

Can you remind me what you are studying? Sorry! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Awesome!  The last TA sounds like a complete d-bag!  Do you know what classes you'll be teaching?  Congratulations!!!!  Laughing

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Thanks!

Heather - I'm a communications grad. student

Buddysmom - I'd be teaching a basic public speaking course. Not the most interesting of classes but since I want to teach college classes it will give me some good experience.

• Options

Public speaking can be an interesting class.  Depends on what the students are speaking about lol.  I'm tutoring my friend who is taking a public speaking class and she was showing me some of the speeches that her classmates did....one did a speech about "the rabbit" vibrator.  Yup.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:23c28c99-4bf2-4b5f-9511-b10386ece89b">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Public speaking can be an interesting class.  Depends on what the students are speaking about lol.  I'm tutoring my friend who is taking a public speaking class and she was showing me some of the speeches that her classmates did....<strong>one did a speech about "the rabbit" vibrator.  Yup.</strong>
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

Oh that's special lol.

• Options
    That's fantastic news, Beth!

• Options
    buddysmom80buddysmom80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    My friend had to do a peer critique too, she put "I love your speech, you were very knowledgeable about the product as am I.  Hope you have many happy endings and double A batteries".  The professor gave them both an "A" lmao

ETA-what would be your dream college course to teach???

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Yay congrats!!

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:0ee548e3-260c-4382-a99c-d1669537522c">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend had to do a peer critique too, she put "I love your speech, you were very knowledgeable about the product as am I.  Hope you have many happy endings and double A batteries".  The professor gave them both an "A" lmao ETA-what would be your dream college course to teach???
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to teach classes that focus on rhetoric and media. In my dream world, I'd like to create a class that melds rhetoric and history - teaching about how the way we talk about history shapes our perceptions of the past. I'm thinking of writing my thesis on how the way we communicate about the Holocaust through literature will affect how it's remember once all the survivors are gone but those who deny it ever happened are still around.

I'm also thinking about getting a master's degree in history after I finish my communication degree. But I'd like to do it online and take more time to do it so I can focus on something other than school for awhile!

• Options
    Beth, that's awesome! :)
  • Options
    That is awesome Beth! 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! You guys and BF are the only ones I've shared the news with so far. I don't want to tell too many people in case it falls through for some random reason. It shouldn't but you never know.

• Options
    That is great news and wonderful opportunities Beth!  I can't believe the current TA is still there.  I would have thought they give him the boot already.
  • Options
    That's awesome! Congrats!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Yay!  Congrats, that's awesome :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats, Beth! What a great opportunity or you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:bccf3940-8e6b-4813-bd29-97507fc9ed44">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is great news and wonderful opportunities Beth!  I can't believe the current TA is still there.  I would have thought they give him the boot already.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They seem to let the TAs get away with a lot which seems strange to me.

• Options
    Vintagelove4Vintagelove4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:5375ae81-1e3d-473f-92da-c4892a4ccab0">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: I Got Some Good News! : <strong> I'd really like to teach classes that focus on rhetoric and media. In my dream world, I'd like to create a class that melds rhetoric and history - teaching about how the way we talk about history shapes our perceptions of the past.</strong> I'm thinking of writing my thesis on how the way we communicate about the Holocaust through literature will affect how it's remember once all the survivors are gone but those who deny it ever happened are still around. I'm also thinking about getting a master's degree in history after I finish my communication degree. But I'd like to do it online and take more time to do it so I can focus on something other than school for awhile!
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

That is one of my favorite topics when it comes to history! My history teacher in highschool loved to talk about that and I think she rubbed off on me. haha

Anyways it sound like you're going to have tons of fun! Congrats!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yay!  Great news!

Not going to lie though.  I was totally hoping this was an engagement post.  I'm getting BSC for you, Beth.
  • Options
    Congrats Beth! I'm sure your enthusiasm for the subject will shine through!
  • Options
    Yay, Beth!  Congratulations!  Your dream topic to teach sounds very interesting, too.  What is fun about generals is that you could throw in your own ideas and flavor, to an extent.  I bet you would make any class you teach interesting, because those who have inquisitive minds are always more engaging teachers.  

Also, if this were an engagement post, I'd expect a more enthusiastic adjective than "good."  ;)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:15ddb17f-b16c-4383-ab08-8f8d49b12515">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay!  Great news! Not going to lie though.  I was totally hoping this was an engagement post.  I'm getting BSC for you, Beth.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Haha...I thought some might think that when I posted this. Not yet though...

• Options

YAya!!! Oh I am so happy for you! I remember how devastated you were when you didn't get it.   

Like Elle I also went BSC for you. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:f79669e7-5193-42e4-a842-d0aed1941241">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: I Got Some Good News! : Haha...I thought some might think that when I posted this. Not yet though...
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Soon, though.  Sooooooon.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-i-got-some-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:57ca8d51-04a0-40db-bd9f-94018f627419Post:15ddb17f-b16c-4383-ab08-8f8d49b12515">Re: AW: I Got Some Good News!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay!  Great news! Not going to lie though.  I was totally hoping this was an engagement post.  I'm getting BSC for you, Beth.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

I was totally thinking the same thing!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    We're all going to get BSC for Beth!  It's soooooonnnn!  I'll be on NEY forum all day on Thanksgiving!  Screw the turkey! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Yay! I remember how bummed you were to not get the position...I'm happy for you that you got good news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards