Not Engaged Yet
Options

Roll Call -- Who's Here and Let's Talk Body Image (or whatever)

Who's here? Who's drinking? Who's still stuck at work?

Have you guys seen this:
http://pinterest.com/indyink/don-t-compare-yourself-to-celebrities/

Thoughts?

Anything else random you want to talk about to help pass my last hour and a half at work???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Roll Call -- Who's Here and Let's Talk Body Image (or whatever)

• Options
    I'm home, FI and I are having wine while playing video games lol. It's his turn so I'm KUI.

We were actually just talking about photoshopped celebrities yesterday, specifically Demi Moore.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm here!!  Not drinking but I'm not sure why.  I'm home and trying to get the rest of the presents wrapped and various other elf-y type things. 

Just looking at the link now - thanks for posting that!!  It drives me up the wall how processed ALL the photos of celebrities are these days.  No wonder why every woman I know has body issues!!

One more thing - slight vent - BF's dad came over to the house to look at one of our light sockets that isn't working.  Anyway, while he was here he asked me to pick up something for BF's mom for Christmas because he hasn't had a chance to buy anything for her yet.  So now I have to go shopping tomorrow when I know our tiny downtown will be packed with tourists.  It's not that I mind picking something for her but I really wish he'd given me a little more heads up so I could have gotten something when it was a bit more convenient.  Also, if I were her, I'd want something from him, that he picked out!!  Oh well, it's no big deal and I have the time to do it.  So off to shopping I go again tomorrow!

*ETA - also watching SYTTD!!
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Is Earl out and about or is he sitting with you, Liv? Any recent pics you'd care to share? I have SUCH hedgie envy; it's a little ridiculous. :)

ETA: I now see another thread about Earl's birthday, so off to squee in there. :)

I've been thinking about body image a lot lately as I've definitely put on some extra pounds and started to sport a more noticeable bump recently.

A lot of ladies posting on the bump talk about feeling fat, or alternatively, whining that they're not showing. It's like no one is happy, and it makes me sad, b/c IMO, a pregnant body is not about looking a certain way or being "attractive." It's like the one time your body is all about creating another life.

It just is sad to me that instead of enjoying being pregnant and being happy about growing babies, women are having these negative emotions around their bodies. :(

That's a tough question, Liv. I think that there will be a lot of awesome. Seeing BB (that's our nickname for our fetus) be born, seeing him or her smile for the first time, hearing BB's first giggle, watching him or her make friends and lose friends and fall in love and get his/her heart broken, and hopefully grow up to be a kind, intelligent, and healthy adult...There will be a lot of hard days and bad days, and I also think those aren't the days that will define the experience for me. I'm all about looking for joy in every day little moments, and I think parenthood is full of moments like that, and so I guess I am just hoping that there is going to be a LOT of awesome to look forward to. :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_roll-call-whos-here-lets-talk-body-image-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:59f17860-5c0c-4b73-b841-823b200d7bcaPost:7f1fbd48-8489-4d31-9a0a-2ce6cb1d0302">Re: Roll Call -- Who's Here and Let's Talk Body Image (or whatever)</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK I'm going through all the links, and that one about H&M putting models' heads on computer-generated bodies is nuts.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I thought so, too. It's absolutely crazy to me that so many of us "lust" after having the "perfect" body that isn't even real. I think it's sad that we do it to ourselves, many men believe it's realistic, and that the media is causing it.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Also, my friend just left work 45 minutes early. No explanation, no "Hey, do you mind if i cut out early?" Just "Merry Christmas! Bye!"

REALLY?!!!

/><

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_roll-call-whos-here-lets-talk-body-image-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:59f17860-5c0c-4b73-b841-823b200d7bcaPost:c276c2cb-3366-461d-ab6c-cc2558196a8c">Re: Roll Call -- Who's Here and Let's Talk Body Image (or whatever)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And desert, your answer to my question was awesome. I must be feeling a little mushy/Christmas spirit-y/whatever because <strong>that made me think for a second, "Maybe I DO want to experience that!" </strong>You have a lovely way with words, and I know for certain you're going to be an amazing mother. You have such a good head on your shoulders. You are no-nonsense, but caring and tactful, and your little one is sure to grow up with the same knack for giving thoughtful advice as you. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

It's interesting that you say that, b/c I did NOT always know I wanted kids. I was definitely undecided when I met my H. Hearing my sister talk about her  pregnancy and being a mom actually was a pretty big factor. She is very honest about the hard parts, but also talks about how amazing it is to grow this person, and have them be part of you, and then slowly watch them grow and become their OWN person. Also, my niece is pretty awesome, so I know my sister will be a great role model/source of help and advice for me, and that gives me a bit more confidence.

That said, I think it is completely and totally possible to have a very happy and fulfilling life WITHOUT kids. I never think less of another woman for the choices she makes about her body, career, money, relationships,  etc. As long as YOU are happy and fulfilled in your life, I am happy for you. NOT having them definitely allows for so much more flexibilty, and I would be lying if I said I couldn't see that or didn't feel like I was giving some things up to have kids at this point in my life.

But thank you so much for your kind words! You made my day! <3

• Options
    And on that note, I'm out! May be back later if I need a break from wrapping presents.

• Options
    THANK YOU for that link, Desert. The one thing that has been constant through almost my entire adult life has been my intense dislike of my body as it is at any given time. Now, of course, I look back to pictures of myself five years ago, and I would kill for that body again. In that moment five years ago, though, I hated my body and wanted to be 20 lbs lighter.

Obviously there's a lot that goes into my (and anyone's) constant struggle with self esteem, but I can say with confidence that a large part of it is the images that I am (and have been for my entire life) bombarded with showing the ideal of beauty as some ridiculous standard that no normal person could ever obtain healthily.

Honestly, the only time I've ever been entirely happy with the way I looked was while I was flirting with an eating disorder. And I still look at pictures of myself from that time, and wish I had the will power now to make myself look like that again. I acknowledge that those feelings are incredibly unhealthy, but that is what it is.

Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch, watching Love Actually (one of my all time favorite movies, plus Christmasy to boot) with BF and drinking wine. I made our traditional "Christmas" dinner of homemade Tomato Basil Soup and fancy grilled cheese. We're having Bread Pudding for dessert, and opening presents soon :)
  • Options
    Liv, yep, the one time I lost a lot of weight was the summer after my senior year of high school into my first year of college, which is when my parent's told us they were getting divorced. The second time was when my college BF and I broke up-I literally lost 20 lbs in two weeks. The only thing that made me feel better was going to the gym, and I literally could not make myself eat. Real healthy.

I asked for Love Actually for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it's become part of our tradition for the night we celbrate as a couple (much to BF's delight). He's getting Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation this year, so I bet we'll be watching that next.
  • Options
    Im around a little bit im at the bf's and we just got back from a party at one of my co-workers. so im a little drunk.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_roll-call-whos-here-lets-talk-body-image-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:59f17860-5c0c-4b73-b841-823b200d7bcaPost:76674eee-90dd-4cca-ae37-1e11164de6e5">Re: Roll Call -- Who's Here and Let's Talk Body Image (or whatever)</a>:
    [QUOTE]THANK YOU for that link, Desert. The one thing that has been constant through almost my entire adult life has been my intense dislike of my body as it is at any given time. Now, of course, I look back to pictures of myself five years ago, and I would kill for that body again. In that moment five years ago, though, I hated my body and wanted to be 20 lbs lighter. Obviously there's a lot that goes into my (and anyone's) constant struggle with self esteem, but I can say with confidence that a large part of it is the images that I am (and have been for my entire life) bombarded with showing the ideal of beauty as some ridiculous standard that no normal person could ever obtain healthily. Honestly, the only time I've ever been entirely happy with the way I looked was while I was flirting with an eating disorder. And I still look at pictures of myself from that time, and wish I had the will power now to make myself look like that again. I acknowledge that those feelings are incredibly unhealthy, but that is what it is. Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch, watching Love Actually (one of my all time favorite movies, plus Christmasy to boot) with BF and drinking wine. I made our traditional "Christmas" dinner of homemade Tomato Basil Soup and fancy grilled cheese. We're having Bread Pudding for dessert, and opening presents soon :)
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think beautiful comes in all shapes and sizes, and it makes me SO angry that we are bombarded daily with images that tell us thin is most beautiful. It's hard to have healthy body image when faced with such unrealistic images in media EVERYWHERE.</div><div>
    </div><div>So, I'm really glad you liked the link and hopefully it will help you feel better to have so many examples of just how unrealistic those images are. </div><div>
    </div><div>Your evening in with the BF sounds wonderful. Wishing you and him both a very Merry Christmas!</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>

• Options
    Also, I think life is too damn short to live deprived all the time just to look a certain way.

But it's really hard to find a healthy balance of taking good care of yourself and not obsessing.

Why can't being healthy be easier???

• Options
    I'm here, my brother and I are watching the first LOTR extended edition. I'll admit that there are some celebrities I use as inspiration to get thinner/healthier but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm going to look photoshopped.

• Options
    I'm working on the whole not hating myself thing.  There was a long period in my life when you couldn't name a body part I didn't have a complaint about.  I danced 6 nights a week, and I think most of the reason I had so much trouble is because I'm pretty busty, and if anyone's familiar with a ballerina body, boobs aren't included ever.  So I forced myself into a lot of unhealthy eating habits to try and get rid of them, which of course won't happen, because breasts are a natural part of women, and if you have larger ones there's only so much they can shrink.  I was 5'4" and weighed less than 105 pounds.  I had a 23 inch waist, and 30FFs.  I still thought I was fat.  And some days I still do, even though I've been working on it.
  • Options
    Thanks Desert! Merry Christmas to you guys too! Can you believe this time next year there will be a wee little desert celebrating his/her first Christmas?

Caitlin-I hear you on the dance thing. I was so, so lucky to be a part of a program where body shape/size was not emphasized, but it is still SO hard not to focus on that when so much about being a good dancer is being hyper-aware of your body at all times.

We are now watching Christmas Vacation, haha. And I've moved on to sprite and Pinnacle Gummy vodka. Yum.

Do you guys think that guys have anywhere near the kind of body image issues as women? I used to think they absolutely did not, but BF has put on a significant amount of weight since high school (he wrestled at 145lbs to give you an idea. It's not like he's super huge now, but he started off TINY), and he is super self conscious about his body. I feel bad, because where it is almost socially acceptable for women to talk about their insecurities and to be constantly dieting, it defintely is not that way for men.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards