Not Engaged Yet
Options

Questions of the Day - The WR Edition

Since we have so many recently engaged ladies on here now (or soon to be wed ladies!), I thought it would be fun to make the questions of the day WR. These are all worded so even us NEY-ers can answer...but I am in no way encouraging any BSC around here! Purely preference questions. Have fun!

1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds?

2. Do you think an open bar is a requirement for a good wedding?

3. Fill in the blank: "Having more than ___ bridesmaids is just ridiculous."

4. Do you judge a bride who doesn't provide a full dinner reception?

5. Are cupcakes, pies or other desserts an acceptable substitution for a traditional wedding cake?

6. Does the idea of an outdoor ceremony/reception excite or terrify you?

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is__________.

8. Are couples who choose to have a destination weddings selfish?

9. What is the most you've ever spent on a wedding gift?

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck? 

Re: Questions of the Day - The WR Edition

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds?
    $25,000- more than that, I would just feel strange

Nope- I've been to plenty that didn't have one. And the one I went to that had an open bar, too many people got drunk and puked, and the bride had red wine spilled on her dress!

No- if they can't afford it, they can't afford it! We all have different tastes and budgets

5. Are cupcakes, pies or other desserts an acceptable substitution for a traditional wedding cake?
    It's not my preference, but as long as there is dessert, I'm happy :)

Excite- I will probably do an indoor though because I wouldn't want to deal with the weather

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is__________.
    the ceremony!

Hmm... don't know... It's just really hard for the guests and family, but I guess if it's what you want- go for it

$50

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?
    I don't think it's bad luck. If I need to do a first look to save on time for pictures, I will!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

TBH, I have no idea. Nothing about our wedding is particularly luxurious and it certainly won't look glamourous. If I had unlimited funds, I could easily see spending 50K. I keep my sights focused, so if I had unlimited funds I don't know where we'd end up because I haven't allowed myself to get carried away.

For a wedding to be good, no. I do think it is an important gesture as a host though.

4. Do you judge a bride who doesn't provide a full dinner reception?

I judge those that don't feed their guests, If they want a dessert reception or just heavy hors d'oeuvres that's their choice. However, if you invited me to your wedding and then back to the dance only, yes I judge.

Definitely!

By having mine outdoors, you'd think I'd be excited. However, I'm actually quite terrified.

Seeing how the wedding and reception reflect the people getting married.

8. Are couples who choose to have a destination weddings selfish?

Only if they don't give people an opportunity to save so they can attend and if they expect huge gifts.

About $150

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?

I love the idea, not sure how FI feels about it though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine more than like 25,000 and that seems outrageous to me.

I think that it is polite. A wedding can be "good" without it, but come on...

4. I wouldn't be having any, but FI wants his brother up there with him, so we're just doing one each.

Not at all, as long as it is strategically planned.

Yes

That's what I originally wanted to do, but late October in Michigan, that just doesn't work!

You know, I've only actually been to one or two weddings in recent memory. They've been distant family or FI's distant family, so they weren't very enjoyable.

No

Haven't bought a wedding gift on my own. When we've gone to family weddings I was invited with my parents, so they bought the gift.

I like it. FI and I are doing it. It took a lot to convince him though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Probably 40 or 50K.  More than that, and I would just feel insanely guilty.  I'm looking at you, Kim Kardashian.

Not at all.  It depends on the nature of the wedding.  A Sunday brunch for a couple who doesn't drink?  No alcohol necessary.  A Saturday night dance party reception for a couple in their mid-20s and their wild families (AKA, my wedding)?  Yes, open bar is necessary.  I don't think it has to be a full bar though.  

No, but again, it depends on the nature (and time) of the wedding.

NO!!!!  All of those things make great extras, but there must be a wedding cake.  (I'm kind of obsessed with wedding cake).

Excite!  We're having our ceremony outdoors.   Even if it rains.  Because the lakeside ceremony space is the reason we picked our venue.

Cake.  And dancing.

Umm, generally no.  I guess it depends on their reasoning for having a DW, though.

About $100

I like the idea of a first look, but I also like the idea of seeing each other for the first time on the aisle.  I don't know which one FI and I are going to do.  I think I may try to talk him into doing the first look because we're not really planning on doing a cocktail hour.

• Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

10,000. And even that I think is crazy expensive. (But that's excluding the honeymoon, because I could easily plan an extravagant honeymoon... A romantic vacation is way more exciting than a wedding).

Not a requirement. You could have an open bar where the groom starts hitting on his MIL and everyone ends up arrested. It's a really great etiquette thing though. 

2... How many BFF and sisters do you have?  But I don't come from a large family and I have a small circle of friends, so that's just my perspective.

I don't judge unless I'm held hostage somewhere without any kind of food during a time I would normally be eating... especially if they went all out on other things. *cough*  Then I judge.  Then I judge HARD.

Depends.  Is it chocolate?  Chocolate is great!

Umm, sounds okay to me!

Getting to watch the bridge and groom smile like crazy at each other.

My least favorite part is not getting to spend any time with them when they're so happy.

Umm...  Maybe, sometimes. If they're helping people travel to the destination, then no. If they have a gazillion out of town guests from all over the country, then no.  If everyone lives in, say, Kansas, and they all have to pay to travel to Aruba and the bridge/groom throw hissy fits about people not attending... then yes.

$50, $75 if you include the bachelorette gift.

I love the first look! It makes it a more intimate moment. I'm think it's perfectly okay to see the groom before the ceremony. 
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    -Ok posting as NEY these are just my gut reactions/ thoughts. In no way have I (or will I) allow this post to inspire BSC.

I think the most I could spend would be $25,000-$30,000. I just can't imagine spending more then that, even if we 'could' afford to.

If you mean good as in 'proper ettiquete' I think an open bar or no bar are the only options. Cash bars are tacky. 

I honestly think this depends on the Bride and Grooms ages, past 30, I think more then 4 is a bit overboard, IMO.

Full dinner in my mind equals sit down meal served by wait staff, and no I don't judge couples who can't afford this. Buffets are fine, heavy apps are fine, and off time cake/desert/punch is fine. 

Yup.

It excites me, esp as a guest. I like to see what couples come up with to decorate such a space.

Besides seeing 2 friends get married, I would say having a reason for BF and I to get dressed up.

Depending on how exotic the local, and family finances, I don't think so. I do think the DW and at home PPD do over is selfish. (I'm on the fence for AHR)

$100

I think they are a good idea! I really like the idea of a private moment before the insanity of the ceremony and reception. It would be nice to have some time with just FI to enjoy 'our' day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $20k? That sounds so crazy to me...but I guess if I had unlimited funds. I just have a hard time imagining spending more than that on 1 day. I'd so rather go on an amazing trip or buy a home.

No. I think that alcoholic beverages should be offered for a period of time, but I don't think that has to go beyond 1 or 2 drinks (wine/beer). I love when couples have an open bar, but I certainly don't expect them to pay for me to get a buzz on.

4. I feel like your BMs should be your closest friends...and how many of us really need 8 people standing up there? I just feel it's for show or because you can't say no after about 4.

No. If you didn't provide any food at all I would judge, but I think a lot of non-traditional food options are actually really fun!

I love other desserts too, but I think you should at least have a small cake to cut...because i'm traditional like that.

I love the idea...but i think i'd be so worried about the weather.

The dancing! I love dancing and BF will almost never do it with me except at a wedding. Love!

I think it does work for some couples...but over all I think it ends up putting a lot of the financial burden on your guests. It I only wanted to have 10 guests or less, then no problem...but to invite 200 people to a DW is a little overboard in my opinion.

$200

I like the idea, but this is another area where i'm a bit traditional. I think I probably wouldn't do it myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

$15-20k

Nope, it isn't.  If people want to drink so badly, they should be willing to pay for it, guests should be happy with being fed.

Not at all.

No.  I look forward to wedding CAKE at a wedding!

I would like to have one, but the date I want in NM is way too hot to have one outside.

Seeing the bride and groom actually get married, and see how they set everything up.  Oh, and cake :)

Nope, I wish I could have a destination wedding! My great-grandmother won't be able to travel so I won't be having one.

I've only been to one wedding where I was old enough to give a gift, and FI and I got them a card.

I'm all about the first look.  I'm so excited to do my own! I already can't wait to have him see me in my amazing dress!!!
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If I had unlimited funds I would do everything anyway I want & just not worry about price since I wouldn't need to!

I would be annoyed if I went to a wedding & had to pay for my own drinks.

Hmm I don't know, I think to each their own! 

Nope, I think the reception should fit the couple! We're having an 'endless cocktail hour reception' & I hope people aren't judgey at my wedding.  There will be tons of delicious food just not your traditional sit-down dinner. 

Sure, why not!  Again, I think it should suit the couple.  If the couple doesn't like cake, why have cake as the dessert?

It excites me only if there is an alternative in case of bad weather.  Our ceremony & cocktail hour will be held outside but if it's rainy or too cold we can easily have both inside. No alternate though terrifies me, mother nature is too unpredictable for me!

The ceremony (I cry every time) and the dancing

Not at all, it's your wedding, do it how you want it! 

I've only been to 2 weddings since I've become an adult (my brother & FI's brother) and we gave $300 as a couple at each. 

I absolutely love it and I can't look at pictures of other people doing this with out getting misty. FI are definitely doing this & I get really emotional when I think about it LOL

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    $50K. Weddings are expensive in my area, and most of my friends spent $40k. I spent a lot less.

No, but I think you should provide something. We had open bar for cocktail hour and wine and nonalcoholic drinks at dinner.

Six. I actually think four or fewer is perfect.

No, as long as it's not at dinnertime. If it's at dinnertime and you don't feed me, there's a problem.

Yes.

Excite, but there is certainly a lot of risk. I was worried mine would be a 100 degree day. We visited our venue when they were setting up for someone else, and her ceremony was rained out.

The ceremony.

I don't think selfish is the right word, but I am not a fan of DWs. I've only been to one, and we all groused about the expense when we learned we had to travel to Hawaii. Yes, we had fun, but the $700pp wasn't easy.

About $100 (not including the $700 to attend the wedding above--I consider that part of the gift).

I think it's very practical. I would have done it if H wasn't adamant about not seeing me.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    15-20K.  Ours was about 10.  The only thing I would have changed would have been more free booze.  lol

Nope! I think you need to let people know if it's NOT open though.

Depends on the size of the wedding.  I think a wedding with 200+ could have 5 or 6 BMs but more seems too much.

Nope

Totally

Excite...as long as theres a tent option.  Weather here changes every 15 minutes

Right after the ceremony...when the bride and groom are still glowing!

Nope.  

$100.  Keep in mind I've only been to 3 weddings in my adult life...and one was mine. lol

I love the idea...but we didn't have time:(

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't spend more than $20,000 and that's still a LOT

If it's an evening wedding, yes.

Five

Not really

Yes, and often times it's better than wedding cake. I still like the traditional cutting of the cake.

I love it, and that's what we plan to do.

The dancing and booze.

Not all the time. I think it's important to do what you really want for your wedding, but you can't get all upset and bitchy if people don't end up showing up.

The most I've done is $400 for our best friends that just recently wed.

I like the first look idea, but it has to be right for the couple.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Whoohoo: no BSC for me, that's my sister's job :)
    1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds?  25k.  I think realistically I'd like it to be under 15k, though.  Or even 10k.  I'm cheap, dangit

2. Do you think an open bar is a requirement for a good wedding?  For my family, yes, but not for me (I don't drink much in public)

3. Fill in the blank: "Having more than ___ bridesmaids is just ridiculous."  For me?  More than 4.  In general, more than 6 or so.

4. Do you judge a bride who doesn't provide a full dinner reception?  I've never been to a wedding without full dinner.  And food is the most important part of the reception to me, so I might judge slightly.  But as long as there's ENOUGH food for everyone (assuming the reception is at a mealtime) then it's ok

5. Are cupcakes, pies or other desserts an acceptable substitution for a traditional wedding cake?  Absolutely.  I don't like cake :)

6. Does the idea of an outdoor ceremony/reception excite or terrify you?  Terrify, but that's because I've only been to outdoor ceremonies/receptions in FL.  It's hot there in mid-July, guys, don't do it!

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is__________.  Food & hanging with friends/family.  Also, at family weddings?  My family is awesome!

8. Are couples who choose to have a destination weddings selfish?  Nope.  But I don't think I will do it.  My family is too huge.

9. What is the most you've ever spent on a wedding gift?  $200-300, I think. 

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?  I like it because it gets the couple to the reception more quickly :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No BSC here. Promise :-)

IF I had unlimited funds, I could imagine paying $75-100k. Dream venue, designer dress, flowers, decor... yea, I could do that.

2. Do you think an open bar is a requirement for a good wedding? Yes, even if it's just beer & wine.

3. Fill in the blank: "Having more than ___ bridesmaids is just ridiculous." Right now, I'd say 6 or 7... But that's me thinking off the top of my head who I would have right now. My two sisters, BF's one, and my best friend are my absolute non-negotiables.

Depends on the time of day, I suppose, but I don't think buffets are a bad idea either.

5. Are cupcakes, pies or other desserts an acceptable substitution for a traditional wedding cake? Absolutely. I love me some cupcakes.

Excite - I would love to have an outdoor ceremony overlooking the ocean with a tented reception. Possible? Not sure. (See: Unlimited budget)

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is__________. I changed my mind. I originally said dancing, but my real favorite part is watching the bride & groom's faces when she walks down the aisle. Tear.

Not at all.

9. What is the most you've ever spent on a wedding gift? $150

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck? I LOVE the idea.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds? $20,000 tops.

No, but a cash bar makes me upset. A wedding I went to this weekend had a cash bar, and I cringed.

No way.

Yep, I think so! Whatever floats your boat!

Excite. I would LOVE this. But we can't find an outdoor location. So oh well.

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is__________.Dancing!

Nope

I usually spend about $50 each time. Sometimes less, depending on what they want off their registry.

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?   Nope! I plan to do this.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have no idea. $100K maybe? Designer dress, great flowers, venue, food...
    Probably wouldn't take long to spend that much.

Nope. I think it's nice, but not a requirement.

3. Fill in the blank: "Having more than 4 bridesmaids is just ridiculous."

Nope. Cocktails and appetizers can be just as nice if done right, depending on the time of day.

Absolutely. Most of the cake doesn't get eaten/isn't that good anyway, and it's super expensive. Might as well have something more worthwhile.

Excite (depending on the time of year...so, in December, it would be beyond terrifying).

7. Complete this sentence: My favorite part of attending a wedding as a guest is the last part of the ceremony - they say their vows, first kiss, and walk down the isle together. Love it!

Nope - that's actually what I want. I know a lot of people hate the idea (my Grandmother included), but to each his own.

$150 probably

Love love love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Probably like 40K.  I could do way more if I ended up doing a destination wedding, and then I'd fly everyone out.  So, let's add plane tickets to that.

No.  But I do hope to one day have one.  :)

Nope.  To each their own.  

Is the sky blue?  Honestly, I think everyone should do what they love.  And if there's a couple out there who really hates cake but loves parfaits, then I'd really want a parfait at their wedding.

EXCITE.  I love being outside for weddings.  I don't like church weddings at all.

Seeing the groom get all emotional.  And then socializing with everyone at the reception.

Absolutely not.

$40.  I got it on clearance marked down from like $150.  Because I'm a super shopper.

Both.  I have a several ideas pinned on Pinterest.  I love the idea of doing that hidden first look thing where you get to talk for a minute before the ceremony, but you can't see each other.  It's adorable.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure of a specific amount. I'm like rdr - I'd just do everything I want without worrying about cost. If I had to pick a number, I'd say $75-100,000.

I don't think it's what makes a wedding "good" or not, but personally I think it's a requirement for any wedding. And like others have said, it doesn't have to be a full open bar - wine and beer is fine. I just think cash bars are really tacky, but I know that can be a regional thing.

Six

Nope. I really like rdr's plan to have endless hors d'oeuvres. However, I do judge potluck receptions.

Absolutely! I want to have cake balls instead of a traditional wedding cake, and FI wants a cheesecake for the groom's cake.

I'm pretty neutral on outdoor weddings. I wouldn't do an outdoor ceremony b/c it's really important to me to get married in a church. We probably would have seriously considered an outdoor (or at least indoor/outdoor) reception if we were getting married in the fall or spring rather than July.

Getting to hang out with friends I don't necessarily see on a regular basis. Also, the food.

In general, no. However, I hate when I hear that someone is having a DW as a way to cut down on the guest list. As in, "we're going to invite all these people, but hopefully most of them won't come since it's so far away, and we won't have to pay for as many guests." 

I think $100-150. On average, I probably spend $50-75.

I love it! FI and I are probably going to do one.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not at all.

Depends on the wedding itself and the amount of people and what not. As long as some sort of food is provided if it's considered a reception i think is fine.

Definitely. Not everyone likes or can eat cake. Just because something is tradiotnal dosen't mean there is not another way.

i love them !

Seeing everyone celebrate.

This is a double edged sword. i don't think it's selfish unless the couple gets upset that everyone cannot make it and expect more than is doable. Destination weddings can be a hassle for guests especially if it's a large wedding - however it's a choice they must make - as long as they are happy with their choice that's what matters.

About 200.00

i think it's a very personal choice , and like both concepts. i don't think it's bad luck in any way however.
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love to be able to pay for all of our guests' traveling expenses and to have the wedding on the beach or a foreign country. But honestly, I think the max I would be comfortable paying would be $50k, with only 25 on the actual wedding.

Not necessarily

5. My FI wanted 8 guys standing on his side and I didn't want any.

No. Back in the day, wedding were only cake, punch, nuts and little mint candies. Just because it's the norm shouldn't mean you need to feel obligated to provide it. Just be sure and warn everyone not to come super hungry.

Most definitely! I like to try new things dessert wise and if it portrays something the couple loves even better.

I'm indifferent to it.

I love watching the groom's face when he first sees his bride.

I think weddings should be more of an intimate thing between the bride and groom. If people want to come and watch, cool but not necessary. I don't think weddings should put a couple in debt or be a sore point to argue over. If having the wedding in a far away location is what the couple needs to make that happen, so be it.

9. What is the most you've ever spent on a wedding gift? $100

I like seeing the groom's reaction, so as a guest I would rather they didn't. I do understand the thought behind it though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $50K ... I honestly wouldn't know what to do with more money than that. $50K would cover everything I would want.

It's not a requirement, it's a gesture.

Ummm, 5

No, not really. It's unusual, but I wouldn't judge.

Yes! I once considered doing wedding cupcakes instead of cake but ... I freaking love cake.

I don't know ... terrify maybe? Because weather is so unpredictable.

This is so shallow, but free food! OK and dancing. I don't mind the dancing either.

No, not really.

Well, the first time I went to a wedding without my parents, we were invited last minute and didn't have enough money to splurge on a really expensive gift, so we got them a $20 item off their registry =/

Yes, and no. I don't like the idea of a first look, because I really want that moment of him seeing me for the first time while walking down the aisle, but here's a fun bit of history: in Judaism, we have a ceremony called "bedeken". Not everyone does it, but it's a fun little tradition. It comes from the Biblical story of when Jacob was tricked into marrying Leah instead of Rachel. Jacob did not know he was marrying the wrong sister because Leah was covered by her veil. So, from then on, it became a tradition that before the ceremony even begins, the groom is allowed to go to the bride's room and peek under her veil to make sure he has the right bride! ;) 

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Probably about $50K.

No, I've actually only been to 2 weddings that have had an open bar (and they were $30K+ weddings).  The rest have been cash bars, but I haven't been to a completely dry wedding.

It depends on the size of the wedding, but regardless, I think any more than 6 or 7 is too much no matter what the size is.

Not unless it was at dinner time, and they didn't serve dinner.  If it was at 1 or 2 and they just had cake & punch, I'd be totally fine with that.

I think so.  Probably because I don't like cake, so something different is actually better for me.

Considering my ceremony is outside, I'm excited.  November is usually one of the best/most predictable months here, so it should be perfect outside.  My reception is inside though, I didn't want bugs and stuff around while serving dinner.

The dancing

If they get upset when people can't come, yeah.  But if they go about it saying "we are getting married here, if you can come, awesome, if not, that's cool too", then no.

Probably only about $100.  I was still in college for most of my 'recent' weddings and couldn't afford much.

I really liked the traditional way (not because I think it's bad luck though), but after seeing our photography timeline both ways, we decided to do a first look.  Pictures are way more important to me than waiting, so that was a compromise I made.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_questions-of-day-wr-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5acacc33-16f3-4ca4-ace8-3535cbb17392Post:62fbfd1d-973f-45dc-94be-b075b2b0eb87">Re: Questions of the Day - The WR Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE] 10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?  Yes, and no. I don't like the idea of a first look, because I really want that moment of him seeing me for the first time while walking down the aisle, but here's a fun bit of history: in Judaism, we have a ceremony called "bedeken". Not everyone does it, but it's a fun little tradition. It comes from the Biblical story of when Jacob was tricked into marrying Leah instead of Rachel. Jacob did not know he was marrying the wrong sister because Leah was covered by her veil. So, from then on, it became a tradition that before the ceremony even begins, the groom is allowed to go to the bride's room and peek under her veil to make sure he has the right bride! ;) 
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard of that tradition before. Thanks for sharing the story! I've only been in one Jewish wedding, and we took photos with the full wedding party before the ceremony, so the groom saw the bride. The signing of the Ketubah was also before the ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds? My parents, FI's parents and FI and I will be paying about 18,000-20,000 dollars. If we had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't want to spend more than this but I would have a lot less stress about the money we are spending.

2. Do you think an open bar is a requirement for a good wedding? Definitely not. Originally we didn't want an open bar because our families don't really drink and thought it might cut down the price a bit. 
    However, at our venue an open bar comes with our package and removing it won't  change the price.  Might as well have unlimited drinks :)

I wouldn't say that I would necessarily judge this bride. But I do think that is nice to provide a dinner reception for your guests and the most respectable thing to do.

I think that if you want to have cupcakes, pies oor other desserts instead of a wedding cake that is your choice. A bride and groom should be able to do whatever they want. Personally, we want to have a wedding cake for our wedding and it happens to be included in our wedding package.

6. Does the idea of an outdoor ceremony/reception excite or terrify you? Originally we wanted a completely outdoor wedding with just tents set up as back up. My FI and family members were a little fearful of that idea because of the chance that it could rain. Now instead we are just having our ceremony outside, our cocktail hour outside and our reception inside. If it rains, there are places to hold the ceremony and the cocktail hour.

Watching the bride and groom see each other for the first time when the bride walks down the aisle. 

Lol we had so many other plans before the one we eventually chose. Before we chose our current plan, we wanted to have our wedding in Cape May.  Cape May is about 2 1/2 hours from our house. That would have been a dream. We chose not to have the wedding there because it would be too difficult for our guests. Honeslty I am crushed a bit. I don't think it is selfish for couples to have a destination wedding, because you only get to do this once. But I think that it is important to think about your guests also. 

I have never had the chance to buy a wedding gift because the weddings I have been to, I was too young and my parents just bought the gift.

I don't think it is bad luck but I think it more exciting to wait until the initial walk down the aisle. I like the idea of it being the first time the bride and groom see each other on their wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_questions-of-day-wr-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5acacc33-16f3-4ca4-ace8-3535cbb17392Post:4a3ccf28-d651-4533-8f1c-3611513cc4cb">Re: Questions of the Day - The WR Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Questions of the Day - The WR Edition : I hadn't heard of that tradition before. Thanks for sharing the story! I've only been in one Jewish wedding, and we took photos with the full wedding party before the ceremony, so the groom saw the bride. The signing of the Ketubah was also before the ceremony.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

No problem! =D I love sharing things like that. Our rabbi explained all of the aspects of a Jewish wedding to us while FI was doing his conversion. There are many traditions that go into a Jewish wedding and they are very interchangeable. It's possible that the wedding you attended considered the pre-ceremony photos as the bedeken (which means "to deck"  or "dress").

The Ketubah signing can be done before or after the ceremony. We are probably going to do it before.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh god. I have such anxiety about spending money that I can't imagine spending more than we already have budgeted. :/

No; I think dry receptions or limited bar are both fine options. I'm really only having an open bar because FI insisted on it. And it's been drilled into my head that cash bars are bad and wrong and the worst thing you can ever do at a wedding, ever. Clearly I spend too much time on wedding websites.

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I initially couldn't imagine myself having more than three or four, and I ended up with six. *_* Then again, my mom had 5 and 4 junior bridesmaids for a total of 9 when she married my stepdad. That I thought was a little excessive. I guess large wedding parties are kind of a thing in my family.

Not at all. Brunch, cocktail, or dessert receptions are all cool ideas, and I wouldn't blink twice if invited to a reception of that type.

Absolutely. I am extremely tempted to either ditch the cake entirely or supplement it with pie. Or cheesecake! Mmm. :)

I love outdoor weddings. I kind of wanted to have one. And then we started talking about getting married in November. Yep, not happening. LOL

All the traditions and rituals involved, and seeing each couple's individual take on them. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Only if they decide to have one without considering the feelings and opinions of their families first.

I totally can't remember. :/

10. Do you like the idea of a "first look" or do you think seeing the groom before the ceremony is bad luck?
    It's a good idea, both for practicality and for giving the couple a few minutes to be a couple before their attention starts getting torn in 100-some odd different directions. I bounced the idea of doing one off FI and he flat-out refused. He apparently is slightly more superstitious than I am. :)
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

$30,000.  IDK even that seems high to me. 

No but that might have to do with why we aren’t having one.  I hate reading E about that, they make me feel terrible for not wanting to have one.   (Not that they are talking directly to me but reading their comments makes me sad, I can’t believe people would leave early just because there is no alcohol.)

7 or 8.

No I considered not doing it.  I think there needs to be food and depending on what time of day more or less food.

I think cupcakes might be the only one.  I mean you can have those others but why have dessert at that point?

My original wedding vision was to get married in the Swiss Alps in a giant meadow.  Sadly I can’t do that but I wouldn’t mind.  I also can’t have an outdoor reception in San Fran at the end of May :( 

Seeing the Grooms face as the bride comes down the aisle and the dancing!!

No… I am having one so no. I don’t think so.  In fact I never thought of that.  I think it is selfish to exspect people to attend. 

Over $100.

I like the idea but I am super traditional and I want my first time to be when I see him as I enter the church (I don’t get to walk down an aisle).  I am looking forward to that more than anything. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Unlimited funds for life or the wedding?  Haha. 
    If I truly had unlimited funds in my everyday life and that extended over to the wedding, we could have probably hit over $100K easily between more guests, more food and other extras. 

Yes. 

Yes.  More correctly, I judge the couple if they don't provide a full meal (be it breakfast, lunch or dinner as is time appropriate.) 

Definitely. 

Considering that we had an outdoor reception...

Since getting married, watching a couple exchange vows really gets to me.  I love a good dance party at the reception though. 

Nope.  They are SMART.  ;)  I wish I could have convinced DH. 

I honestly don't know. 

I think whatever the couple wants to do is gravy.  DH didn't want to have a 1st look because he is more traditional.  However, if he had been on board, we would have done it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm kinda with Mutley on this one. Unlimited for life or wedding? For life I think I'd do between $10-20k, but if I only had it for the wedding well then I'm sure I could go higher (covering my guests travel and hotel fees, being catered by my favorite vegetarian place...)

Nope. Beer and wine is fine, as is no alcohol. And to be honest I don't see cash bars as a big deal. I see why others do but I really just don't care. As long as some sort of beverage (aside from water) is served on the host I'm cool.

Six, which really is stretching it for me.

No, as long as there's enough food. I do feel slightly judgey when there is NO vegetarian option though, and a little pouty when the only veggie thing served is like...mashed potatoes. I loved mashed potatoes, but I'd like a bit more.

OK kidding. Anything is fine, but I sure do love cake!

Not at all (by which I mean it excites me). If I could have my ideal wedding I'd have it outside in a mountain forest while it was actively snowing. *wistful sigh* Unfortunately, that'd be rude to guests so... *sad sigh*

And seeing the venue.

Fo' realz this time.

Umm...$20-ish?

For me, we'll probably wait til I walk down the aisle. But, not because I think it's bad luck to see each other before. Just cuz I like the idea more. However, I do like the idea of the "meet around the corner" thing, where you talk without seeing each other and can hold hands and whatnot. We may do that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. What is the most you could imagine paying for your wedding if you had unlimited funds? 50,000

yes

not at all, everyone has different budgets and times for their wedding

no I love wedding cake!!!!!!

Terrify me too many variables

the cake duah
    No it is about the couple, depending on the time and the place I may not be able to attend

$300
    I wil judge that more when Im in the position of deciding... im not too keen on a first look though

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards