Not Engaged Yet
Options

As a wedding guest ...

Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next?

What's the cheesiest favor you've seen?

Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen?

Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding.

How many weddings have you been to?

How many have you been in?

Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances?

Neatest wedding moment you've seen?
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: As a wedding guest ...

• Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next?
    I've never even tried to catch the bouquet. I do not believe in the tradition of being next.

I've never actually seen favors at a wedding.

I haven't been to that many weddings but the 6 spotlight dances in a row, one of which was a dollar dance was pretty tacky and annoying.

I was three months old but my parents took me to Virgina from Idaho to go to my aunt's wedding.

Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances?

No.

I can't say I've ever seen a neat wedding.

• Options
    - Yes I have. I was probably 10 or 11 though, so needless to say I wasn't the next to get married. However, I think if you are of marrying age... then maybe? I'd like to think it is. :)

- Bobble-head dolls of the bride and groom. This also takes the "creepiest" prize.

- When the groom went "up skirt" to get the garter, the bride dropped her hands to her hoo-ha and moaned, faking...yeah... It was just a little much imo. Ah, I still get a little uncomfortable thinking about that.

- 6 hours plane flight. (Texas to NY)

- 6 that I can remember, though I've seen pictures of me at my aunts' weddings when I was a baby.

- One

- I never have, no.

- Wasn't really a MOMENT, but the Bride and Groom had a Dr.Pepper fountain, and all these syrups you could mix into the soda. It was pretty awesome because the wedding was in Dublin, Texas (Dr.Pepper factory, that used real cane sugar.)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ely, I love these questionnaires :)

No, and no.

A mini picture frame. Like, what am I supposed to do with this. I don't have any tiny pictures off hand.

I just hate the whole garter search tradition. It is so AWKWARD. We're definitely not doing that at our wedding. And then it gets tossed.. gross. What if it's sweaty?

45 min.

What is this?

I love seeing when the groom gets really emotional. It melts my heart.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_as-a-wedding-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:616cb65a-7433-4a71-a2ac-fea8988aed5ePost:ccd9e8b9-fd5f-4049-8242-640350cfe910">Re: As a wedding guest ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? - Yes I have. I was probably 10 or 11 though, so needless to say I wasn't the next to get married. However, I think if you are of marrying age... then maybe? I'd like to think it is. :) What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? - Bobble-head dolls of the bride and groom. This also takes the "creepiest" prize. Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen? - <strong>When the groom went "up skirt" to get the garter, the bride dropped her hands to her hoo-ha and moaned, faking...yeah...</strong> It was just a little much imo. Ah, I still get a little uncomfortable thinking about that. Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding. - 6 hours plane flight. (Texas to NY) How many weddings have you been to? - 6 that I can remember, though I've seen pictures of me at my aunts' weddings when I was a baby. How many have you been in? - One Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? - I never have, no. Neatest wedding moment you've seen? - Wasn't really a MOMENT, but the Bride and Groom had a Dr.Pepper fountain, and all these syrups you could mix into the soda. It was pretty awesome because the wedding was in Dublin, Texas (Dr.Pepper factory, that used real cane sugar.)
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. lol
  • Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? No, but I almost caught the bouquet at a wedding this summer, but someone jumped in front of me at the last second. And I don't believe in the tradition. What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? A cheese grater. I'm not kidding. They were the super small, bell shaped graters that were packaged to look like a bride or a groom, and they said, "To a 'Grate' Couple". The damn thing is so small I can't even use it. Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen? Hmm. I don't know if this counts but I was at a wedding once where they must habe arranged the seating by picking names out of a hat. Somehow, my mother, brother and I were seated at a table consisting of three other couples, all of them in their late-20s-early-30s, and we didn't know any of them. We knew other people at the wedding, and we couldn't understand how we ended up sitting with strangers when our friends were just two tables away. Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding? Saint Lucia for FSIL's wedding How many weddings have you been to? 6 How many have you been in? One, as a flower girl. Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? I don't know what those are. Neatest wedding moment you've seen? Hmm. Dunno. All the weddings I have been to have been pretty dull, nothing really "wowed" me or made me say, "Hey, that's cool."

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    Dollar dance are where they have the bride and groom dance with all the guests, as long as the guests pay them a dollar first. They usually try to make it a competition to see whether the bride or groom gets more money.

That's my experience with them anyhow.

-Ely

• Options
    wow really? that's tacky alright.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_as-a-wedding-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:616cb65a-7433-4a71-a2ac-fea8988aed5ePost:03989976-830f-4796-bc71-057a1b5102c5">Re: As a wedding guest ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dollar dance are where they have the bride and groom dance with all the guests, as long as the guests pay them a dollar first. They usually try to make it a competition to see whether the bride or groom gets more money. That's my experience with them anyhow.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

Oh. That is so weird. I had no idea what they were!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_as-a-wedding-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:616cb65a-7433-4a71-a2ac-fea8988aed5ePost:49b36833-1d7c-4f63-ba52-907bdc2d660c">Re: As a wedding guest ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? Two summers ago, I caught the bouquet at five weddings in a row. FML. This was AFTER I said I didn't want to go out and do that whole nonsense and was dragged out there by people. Clearly I do not believe in the tradition, or I'd be married by now.  What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? "Clappers" with their names on them. Like, those things that you shake back and forth and they "clap?" Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen? Ridiculous making out at the altar. Ridiculously inappropriate amount of time spent under the dress getting out a garter for the garter toss. The priest telling everyone to extend their arm out in "blessing" but it looking like everyone was in Nazi Germany. Groomsmen taking off everything except their boxers and dancing around at reception. The list goes on.  Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding. To California from New Hampshire.  How many weddings have you been to? Over 20.  How many have you been in? 8 I think?  Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? No. And I had never heard of one until TK.  Neatest wedding moment you've seen? I love when grooms cry. LOVE. I really, really hope Mo would cry. Though I don't know that he would. I think so, but I don't know. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've been to some pretty interesting weddings, lol. I can't imagine any grooms I've known to strip down and dance in their boxers. I've seen people pull out granny panties or thongs from the garter toss, but never any inappropriate actions.

I think the silliest thing I've seen was the bridal party, bride and groom included, came out on wooden horses to the song "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" at the reception.

My cousin's wife also got so drunk that she tucked her skirt into her underwear and didn't realize it until I told her ... after she had stalked the buffet and walked slowly over to the far side of the room, lol.
    -Ely

• Options

Once. And I did end up being next in that group. But I think it was coincidence/plotting more than fate or some such.

Damn. Everyone has way better answers already than anything i've ever seen.

I've seen some pretty awkward garter removal moments.

From Arizona to Wisconsin. Or Chicago.

Not all that many, actually. Less than 10 in the last 5 years.

None within the last 5 years

No

When my H cried during our first look and during our vows. <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? No and no, it depends on your height. I'm not tall, and I'm not a jumper.

What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen? Butt grab when kissing after saying I do

Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding. From Phoenix to Detroit

How many weddings have you been to? 4 friends, many Aunts/Uncles when I was a kid

How many have you been in? 1

Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? Yep! I think they are fun!

Neatest wedding moment you've seen? The groom cry, I love it.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    Never caught the bouquet...never really tried, either. I don't really believe in the tradition, unless the bride is aiming for someone specific she knows will be next.

Anything that's personalized with the bride and grooms names. I don't need that in my house. Just give me something to eat, please.

Ummm, I've seen some really inappropriate garter retrievals. I think they're just inherently inappropriate, though, so there's that.

To Maine, which is about 14 hours from VA.

A lot. Probably over 20.

Sure. I still think they're tacky as hell, though.

I've seen some really great toasts. I'll also always remember the Persian ceremony after the Catholic Mass at my aunts wedding...it was really beautiful (she married a man from Iran).
  • Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? Yep. I caught it at a wedding last summer, I was rather intoxicated and bet BF that I would catch it. There was actually a girl 4 times my size fighting another girl for it right infront of me, I was worried she would come after me too.

What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? I haven't seen anything too bad, but I don't care for things with the couples names on it - unless its a little bottle of alcohol with the wedding info on it, then it doesn't matter.

Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen? My cousin got REALLY drunk at her wedding. Pretty sure she was throwing up by the end of the night. Not terrible classy for a wedding. 

Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding. T-Bay to Ottawa, not sure how long it is since we made lots of stops along the way.

How many weddings have you been to? 6 or 7

How many have you been in? 1

Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? Until this thread, I had never heard of it.

Neatest wedding moment you've seen? Not very neat, but I love the parents speeches to the bride and groom. I think it's so sweet, and I always love the father/daughter dances, I always tear up a little at those for some reason.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_as-a-wedding-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:616cb65a-7433-4a71-a2ac-fea8988aed5ePost:89bf3aeb-1faf-470d-b69e-d9f404238a8d">Re: As a wedding guest ...</a>:
    [QUOTE] Neatest wedding moment you've seen? I've seen some really great toasts. I'll also always remember the Persian ceremony after the Catholic Mass at my aunts wedding...it was really beautiful (she married a man from Iran).
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

That does sound like it would be really neat to see!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next? Nope, not really I hate that part of the weddings

none really

the wedding party had to get up and their tables were cleared to make room for the dance floor

Ohio

over 6

2 three this summer

Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances? never been to a wedding with one

not sure

Anniversary

• Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet?
    Yes 
    Do you believe in the tradition of being next?
    No.  It was almost 20 years ago.
    Matches are the only thing I can remember seeing as a favor.
    Bride's friend showing us how high she could kick her leg.  I saw things I was unprepared for.
    Two hours?
    5-10 maybe?
    Yes, but I dance with the bride.
    My cousin was the first I had heard of doing the thing where the couple married the longest received the bouquet.  It was our grandparents, they were approaching their 60th wedding anniversary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Have you ever caught the bouquet?
    yes 
    Do you believe in the tradition of being next?
    No, I find it fun, but not real
    Its always been candy
    When they vowed to forsake all others and many guests knew it was an open marriage
     I went from Co to Hawaii

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I caught it at my best friend's wedding, then had it grabbed from my hands by the bride's ex-BF's date. Nope I don't believe in the tradition.

I can't think of anything cheesy. Useless, yes; cheesy, not so much.

Lots of garter retrieval moments. Music that has vulgar lyrics, played early in the night when grandmas are still there. Tables of booze where you just go up and make your own drink.

About a five hour drive.

Nope.

Love it when the groom is emotional.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_as-a-wedding-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:616cb65a-7433-4a71-a2ac-fea8988aed5ePost:03989976-830f-4796-bc71-057a1b5102c5">Re: As a wedding guest ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dollar dance are where they have the bride and groom dance with all the guests, as long as the guests pay them a dollar first. They usually try to make it a competition to see whether the bride or groom gets more money. That's my experience with them anyhow.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]
    I always thought a dollar dance was where the bride danced around and people tried to stuff money down her dress... I've never seen one or even read that much about them so I didn't know that it wasn't the bride trying to be like a stripper...<div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>Have you ever caught the bouquet? Do you believe in the tradition of being next?</strong> Yes, at my cousin's wedding like 15 years ago. I was not next. That would have been bad considering I was like 12 at the time. I don't really believe in the tradition.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>What's the cheesiest favor you've seen? </strong>I haven't seen any cheesy favours.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>Most inappropriate/weirdest wedding moment you've seen?</strong> My sister's entire wedding! It was all jus trashy and so wrong. I'd describe it but it would take forever.</span></div><div><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:12px;">
    </span></font></div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>Farthest you've traveled to go to a wedding.</strong> About 12 hours by car.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>How many weddings have you been to?</strong> A lot. I can't even remember how many I've been to!</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>How many have you been in?</strong> One, I was the FG in my cousin's wedding.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>Regardless of whether you'd have one or not, do you participate in dollar dances?</strong> Never been at a wedding that had one so I'd have to say no. Also, I would not participate even if I was at a wedding that had one.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"><strong>Neatest wedding moment you've seen?</strong> I've never been to a wedding that had any stand out moments. All of them have been cookie cutter/generic ceremony followed by cookie cutter generic reception (with the exception of my sister's wedding, but there was nothing "neat" about it). Some had buffets, some were table service. Some had the bubble send off, some didn't. They were all pretty Blah. But to be honest? I don't think I'd want to do any big "wow" factor at my own wedding. I kinda want the cookie cutter wedding...</span></div>
  • Options

I did!  I was so excited.  Funny thing is now that I think about it Fi proposed 2 months later! Haha

Wine corks

There are so many!  There is the best  man’s speech in where he let slip that they were welcoming a baby, there is the MOH’s speech about how the groom wasn’t good enough for the bride, the FOB who was the pastor to do their vows doing what he wanted and giving a 15 minute speech about how his son used to bring home “treasures” (sharks, rabbits, hawks) and now he brought home a new “treasure” FAIL!

The East coast.  It was in New York

Hmmm, maybe 8 or 9?

One.  My friends are just starting to get married.

I do.  I like doing it, I know they are rude and Fi is trying to talk me into doing one but I like them.

I am not good with these things.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I have and I do. Although people in my family don't really get married too often so it's fairly plausible. haha

Bride and Groom's face on the candybar wrapper. It was weird.

This guy was just a little too gung-ho for the garter toss after he saw who won the bouquet toss and tackled a guy for it. Kinda ruined the mood and freaked out the girl who caught the bouquet.

Florida from PA

I do.

My sister had two people marry her and her husband. One in English and one in German. I thought it was so sweet because my brother-in-law's family speaks basically no English so they were able to appreciate the ceremony as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards