Not Engaged Yet
Options

What's everyone getting for BF/FI/DH for the holidays this year?

I'm a little stuck on Christmas gifts for bf this year. We have decided to keep spending lower than normal - $200-300 each this year - because we still have a lot to do (i.e. spend) on our new house (furniture in two rooms, a minor remodel project, landscaping, etc). I was going to buy him a fancy new digital camera but with the budget limit that's out. So far everything I've bought or am planning to buy is dog-related. She is his baby so that's okay but I need a few other items. So far I have:
1. A really cool 11x14 wrapped canvas pic of our pup on the hill in our new yard. (It's pretty neat - digitally altered it to look like art.)

2. A mixed-breed DNA kit. (I know it's lame but we've always joked about it and I think he will geek out over it. I can see him checking the website every day to see if our results are back. I guess she'll finally know she's adopted.)

3. I'm making a cover for the back of his truck for the pup. He has an extended cab and puts the seats up, then she gets the whole floor to spread out.

I might get a sign for the garage. This house has a big man-garage and I found a cool vintage-looking sign that says, "My garage, my rules" with an old pin up girl leaning over a car. Cool? No? I can see putting vintage racing signs up in the garage, that sort of thing, over time.

I thought about framing some old race programs he has but if I'm stuck with the cast and crutches much longer, it will be hard for me to get out without him to do that.

I was trying to think of someting for outside. He loves to mess around in the yard but we have a ton of tools. He has two pairs of really good work gloves. He doesn't need outside clothes.

What are you getting for your BF this year? Thoughts on the garage sign? Should I try to get the framing done after all? I had planned on doing that anyway so I feel like it's a cop out. And not much of a surprise.

Help...

Re: What's everyone getting for BF/FI/DH for the holidays this year?

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the garage sign!

We're keeping spending lower than usual this year as well. I'd say under $200, since we also still have a lot to do on our house and a wedding to save/pay for. 

I'm getting FI some rock climbing training stuff. There are these boards you mount to the wall to practice your holds and grabs and so on. It's what he wants, so it's what he's getting. 

That's the main part of his present, but I'm also getting him a set of beer glasses, a chalk bag of his own, and a maybe trail guide for a place kinda near here that he used to hike all the time. I might also pick up some interesting sounding tall boys to go with the beer glasses, and a TV remote for our bedroom. 

I've also considered getting him new shoes, since he favourites are totally destroyed. 

Heh - I didn't realise how many ideas I had until now. It doesn't take long to spend $200.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Beads thank you! We just moved here and could definitely use a hiking guide. There's also a book about hiking with your dog in Colorado that might be good.

Thanks for sharing! Gave me a good idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Denver (this is a good series - we've owned one in every city we've lived - except Wichita because you can't hike in the flat land) and Best Hikes with Dogs - Colorado.

I also got Canine Colorado, which is a guide for traveling with your pup, but I'll give that to the dog. She doesn't read well but we can read it to her.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whats-everyone-getting-bffidh-holidays-this-year?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:630409be-e905-46f8-9229-46cb4b6248b8Post:78240b48-a35f-4790-81f9-907cb4ac4822">Re: What's everyone getting for BF/FI/DH for the holidays this year?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Denver (this is a good series - we've owned one in every city we've lived - except Wichita because you can't hike in the flat land) and Best Hikes with Dogs - Colorado. I also got Canine Colorado, which is a guide for traveling with your pup, but I'll give that to the dog. She doesn't read well but we can read it to her.
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>All that in 10 minutes?! Haha, the wonders of the internet!</div><div>
    </div><div>Glad I was able to give you an idea. Even just typing out everything I'd been thinking of helped me - I realise I definitely can't get all that for under $200, so something's gotta give. Probably the shoes - I'll do those for his birthday.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    rickylee244rickylee244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got H tickets to go and see Jersey Boys + the soundtrack which I got on super sale on black friday.  It was a huge splurge but I know how much he is going to love it.  Other than that we generally just do sockings :)  Now our parents and brothers, thats a whole other story - I am at a loss this year for christmas/hanukkah gifts!
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Photobucket
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what I'm going to get BF this year. Something zombie related maybe? We are awful at shopping for each other. We do usually end up getting each other something the other one loves but we never get it in time for Christmas :/

I love the garage sign idea!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I aren't spending much on each other this year because we are buying plane tickets to NYC for February.

I love all your dog themed gifts. That's super cute.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whats-everyone-getting-bffidh-holidays-this-year?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:630409be-e905-46f8-9229-46cb4b6248b8Post:78240b48-a35f-4790-81f9-907cb4ac4822">Re: What's everyone getting for BF/FI/DH for the holidays this year?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Denver (this is a good series - we've owned one in every city we've lived - except Wichita because you can't hike in the flat land) and Best Hikes with Dogs - Colorado. I also got Canine Colorado, which is a guide for traveling with your pup, but I'll give that to the dog. She doesn't read well but we can read it to her.
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

Cha Ching! Andrew will LOVE these exact books. Thank you!! :)
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lunar I thought of you and Allusive when I ordered these. I got all three for $38. Free shipping. Amazon.

Swhite - Our dog rules our house. We used to be apologetic or ashamed about it ("we will never be THOSE people") but we are totally "those" people. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're putting a deposit down on our vacation so gifts will be slim, but I am planning on getting him a giftcard to Gamestop because I know he has oh so many games he wants to buy.
  • Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paint, I think the canvas pic of your dog is an awesome idea...and I think it's so cute that it's something he would like :)
    A few of you aren't spending too much on gifts because of vacations. I feel like that's something I should be doing since we might be going back up to Canada this winter :\

I planned on making him a giant quilt with the "Guild Wars II" logo on it (kind of like World of Warcraft), but after consulting with peek (or stalking her craft blog...I can't remember) I realized it would be really, really, really hard and really expensive. I still want to do it, but it might take me about a year to finish.

I stumbled across this website: http://www.1paintme.com. You send them in a few pictures of yourself or someone and they paint them into different themes. They have a few Marvel Comic themed paintings so I think I might get one for him. They could make him into Wolverine or Magneto! Totally geeky, but I think he'd love it and it'd be perfect for his man cave.

I'll also get him some clothes and make him some butternut squash soup. Bitchez love butternut squash soup.
    White Knot
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI wants a cold air intake for his car, so I'm trying to work my connections at his dealership to make it happen one day while he's at work. But that's the biggest/trickiest one of all. Here's my list for him so far (I keep a draft saved in my e-mail so I can update whenever I find something on the interwebz)

Union Jack Cell Case
    Mighty Wallet
    Steelers Apron
    Steelers Ornaments
    Steelers Mugs

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    No clue -- he hasn't asked for anything.

• Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm still working on ideas...

BUT, he needs underwear, so he's getting some :)

And he wants tools, so he'll probably get something rather small (like a router table accessory or something, NOT a new bandsaw.  Holy cripes those are pricey!)

And I like getting him some sort of thing he doesn't know about - still working on that :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just bought BF a remote control army helicopter. He sort of ruined the surprise yesterday by asking "are you still getting me a helicopter or can I get one for myself?" Silly boy...

A woman whose blog I follow makes these really adorable personalized cards (you tell her what kinds of things the person likes to do, etc. and she draws up a card of that person) and I might get one for him as a keepsake.
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I got FI a pair of Dolphins PJ pants, gloves that have thingies on the index finger & thumb so you can wear them while using a touch screen phone/ipod/etc, & I just ordered him an external hard drive which he's been talking about for about a year. 

We agreed to keep our budget for each other around $100 this year because of our upcoming trip to Miami & since we're now saving for a wedding. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty stuck too so I'm no help- you seem pretty far ahead of me Paint lol. I love the idea of the canvas of your pup- that sounds awesome! I like the garage sign too- I love vintagey stuff and we're both big on classic pin ups :)

So far BF has told me he wants an updated disc for his GPS..that's almost $200 and while I don't mid spending that on him that's a pretty boring gift and there wouldn't be much left in the budget for other stuff. I told him we should set a budget for gifts for each other this year and he said "Why??". I don't know- why not? The rest of his list is dvds, cds and video games. I feel like I'm going to be xmas shopping for a teenager lol. I'm determined to find something fun that he didn't ask for.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Let me know what you find that's fun that he didn't ask for! I've got the same issue. I want something that he wouldn't buy himself.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's so hard- I always feel like I need to get people gifts that they're going to go crazy for and it's stressful.
    I was thinking of get this <clicky because I think it's cute and then I realized he bought himself an ipod dock and I totally forgot about it. So there goes that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just ordered him a hydration pack for hiking. I also ordered a first aid kit, which is a necessity if he's doing anything active with me! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is cute Leese! Darn him - why does he have to have a dock already?!
  • Options
    pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably getting FI a nice watch as a combination Christmas/engagement present. Probably a Citizen EcoDrive unless I can find something I like more in another brand. He doesn't currently own a watch at all, and I feel like a good watch is something every guy ought to have...plus, I like the idea of him having something he can wear that reminds him of me, the way my ring reminds me of him.

Plus, as previous posters have mentioned, the rest of his wish list is pretty juvenile - video games and whatnot - and the engagement makes me feel compelled to get him something with a little more sentimental value.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the garage sign Idea!

I got BF pretty good seats to a rangers game in february. we are both pretty rangers fans, he more so than me.

Anniversary

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I love the garage sign!  I am getting him stuff to fix his potato gun. I know he is a nerd.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Since we're saving for a wedding, we decided on a $300 budget for Christmas this year.  I will be purchasing FI a new pair of sunglasses.  I bought him a new pair the year before last and now they're pretty scratched up.

I'll also probably buy him a new pair of shoes (not sure if I''ll do running shoes or hiking shoes - he needs both). 

I bought him a beer brewing kit last year for Christmas, so I'll buy some more beer making stuff for him. 

He and I keep a running "wish list" on his computer for ideas for birthdays and Christmas.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spending less as well this year, but here's what I've gotten him so far...
    * portable speakers (nice but cheap)
    * digital candy themometer
    * Starbucks Via Coffee (for stocking)
    * Aerogarden seed kits

I'll probably also get him some other type of cooking gadget and a travel mug for the stocking.
    ETA:  Forgot to add, got him pajamas and slippers, but that's because he's mentioned wanting some.  I'll probably also see if I can't sew a robe for him... though that likely won't be done in time for christmas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We agreed to not get gifts for each other because we are getting a new computer instead. Our laptops are old. Mine locks up when I try to work from home, and FI's AC adapter is shot so it doesn't hold a charge unless it's completely still, and when it's fully charged, the battery lasts 15 minutes. Our desk top was a hand-me-down from a friend who was going to just throw it out. FI did a little maintenance on it and it functions well, but it's only good for web-browsing and word processing.

So, we're going to do that instead of gifts. BUT, I'm still going to be getting him a nice tie or something. He loves ties, and he loves that he gets to wear one at work.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I got BF a keyboard, mousepad and mouse which together were pretty pricey. His computer is his child, I swear! He specifically mentioned the keyboard he wanted and I looked through one of his magazine to pick a mousepad and mouse.

I also got him flannel pants, a Bengals beanie, and a big whiteboard for the office since he has been trying to find one for MONTHS to help with programming.

I keep coming up with other ideas but now I need to focus on what to get for other family members!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to try and find my BF a video camera, since he has been going on about wanting one for quite some time now.  I really want to get him a tablet, but those are a little more pricey, and he has a birthday in February.  He is a movie fanatic, so he will get some movies as stocking stuffers.  I've never had to do stockings with someone, but he wants to.  

I love the dog gift ideas!  We have two dogs that live with us, and one that lives with his mom, so I know how you feel about your dogs.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm big on quantity...I like DH to have a bunch of little things to open when we do our Christmas.

I ended up getting him two DVDs (Jeff Dunham Controlled Chaos and The Invention of Lying), a Denver Broncos t-shirt (his current one is practically a tattered rag at this point), a cookbook of BBQ & grilling sauces/rubs/marinades, a coffee mug from Disney (a yearly tradition), and a wooden sign for our porch that says "Please Don't Feed the Sharks" and has a sharkbite bitten out of it. I got him some Bronco ornaments, his favorite coffee, and a bunch of candies for his stocking.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards