Not Engaged Yet

WR help. I'm not creative.

Rdr and DoubleSS really helped me out with some wedding stuff this weekend, but through it all, I realized that I now need to do a seating chart. Help me come up with creative things for table names?

Our wedding is at the University of Houston, where we met and got engaged. I kind of want to do something related to UH. Here's where I get stuck. I have three ideas I'm tossing around:

1. Sports teams logo (baseball logo, soccer logo, football logo, etc)
2. "School" names (Moores, the music school; Valenti, the communications school; Farrish, the education school; etc.)
3. Famous alumni (Carl Lewis, Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Young, etc)

What do you think?
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: WR help. I'm not creative.

• I voted numbers, but maybe with a twist...maybe the block numbers that you see on the back of jerseys? So that way it's sporty-ish? Just an idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:5140f89d-ee1a-4da2-b3c9-277764494db7">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted numbers, but maybe with a twist...maybe the block numbers that you see on the back of jerseys? So that way it's sporty-ish? Just an idea.
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]

<div>I saw that someone clicked on numbers, and I was like "what hoar is the first person to vote and clicks on the boring one??" lol. But then you came and offered this idea, which I kind of like. We could do football jersey numbers of our award winning players, like Case Keenum at #7 and Andre Ware at #11</div>

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • I like the idea of schools with UH.  Also buildings? or Famous sites within the campus?  Like at my school at UCLA we had fountains, statues and sculptures that were well known to the student body. 
  • I actually was the initial hoar that voted for the boring one, without explanation.  I'm sorry...I just like classic.

Hangs head in shame.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:1557633a-3aa2-40a4-8af5-4db0ef7e6c3f">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of schools with UH.  Also buildings? or Famous sites within the campus?  Like at my school at UCLA we had fountains, statues and sculptures that were well known to the student body. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, that's cute! I'm doing little bi fold cards, so put the picture on the card with their name? </div><div>
    </div><div>We have lots of recognizable buildings and fountains that guests will come across as they're walking from the ceremony to the reception. 

</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:28ce9a31-99fa-454d-8445-3c2779b2f489">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually was the initial hoar that voted for the boring one, without explanation.  I'm sorry...I just like classic. Hangs head in shame.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahaha! Boo, you hoar! </div><div>
    </div><div>Classic isn't bad, but I'm not doing a whole lot of "classic" things. It's a bit more modern and casual. Although, numbers are easier. I just kinda wanted something fun. </div>

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:a5959ce3-db39-4103-9689-74e647304001">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR help. I'm not creative. : Oh, that's cute! I'm doing little bi fold cards, so put the picture on the card with their name?  We have lots of recognizable buildings and fountains that guests will come across as they're walking from the ceremony to the reception. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome, and guests will see how you incorporated the school into the reception.  They arrive at their table and be like "Oh we saw that dear on our walk over here!"
  • I do think you should use numbers for simplicity, but that doesn't mean you can't cutesy it up a little too.  You can still give each of your tables a name and then put the number in the parenthesis below it or something.  That way your guests can find their seats easily and you still get to infuse a little fun.

I was going to suggest that you zoom out a little and take inspiration from the city of Houston and not just the school, since UH is already kind of everywhere.  How about a Midtown table?  A Westchase table?  Montrose?  Rice Village?  There are so many!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:7295ebb6-cd2d-47ca-b371-6a02957b09d5">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do think you should use numbers for simplicity, but that doesn't mean you can't cutesy it up a little too.  You can still give each of your tables a name and then put the number in the parenthesis below it or something.  That way your guests can find their seats easily and you still get to infuse a little fun. I was going to suggest that you zoom out a little and take inspiration from the city of Houston and not just the school, since <strong>UH is already kind of everywhere.</strong>  How about a Midtown table?  A Westchase table?  Montrose?  Rice Village?  There are so many!
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>It really really is. And you make a good point with the picture and then still numbering the table. So maybe a pic in the background with the number superimposed on the picture? Does that sound neat?</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:b51bad57-bec1-46f4-b24f-9b4ad6129145">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR help. I'm not creative. : It really really is. And you make a good point with the picture and then still numbering the table. So maybe a pic in the background with the number superimposed on the picture? Does that sound neat?
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

It does sound neat. :)
  • I voted for the sports teams.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:de586a1c-45b6-419a-9c68-5826e08d4107">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR help. I'm not creative. : That sounds awesome, and guests will see how you incorporated the school into the reception.  They arrive at their table and be like "Oh we saw that dear on our walk over here!"
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I really like this idea, and agree with Elle that it still needs a number or you'll have people confused as to where they go.

And I just wanted to click on something:)
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:0e0964f7-e4f1-40a5-b78c-ba0b82b2f879">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like's Elle's idea the best about Houston areas/sites and incorporating those with numbers. As a wedding guest, I'm always a little peeved when I have to find the "such and such" table when there is no discernable order. Heck, I'm even peeved when there ARE numbers but there's no rhyme or reason to how the tables are set up and I spend 10 minutes searching for a place to set down my purse before I can hit the bar. So I think sticking with numbers and doing something cute behind them is the way to go. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>Note to self: make sure coordinator knows to put numbers out in an order! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:0e0964f7-e4f1-40a5-b78c-ba0b82b2f879">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like's Elle's idea the best about Houston areas/sites and incorporating those with numbers. As a wedding guest, I'm always a little peeved when I have to find the "such and such" table when there is no discernable order. Heck, I'm even peeved when there ARE numbers but there's no rhyme or reason to how the tables are set up and I spend 10 minutes searching for a place to set down my purse before I can hit the bar. So I think sticking with numbers and doing something cute behind them is the way to go. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Ditto all of this! I really like Elle's idea it allows you to personalize but still let's your guests find their table easily. I always feel stupid when I go to a wedding and can't find my table.

• You should have asked your wedding coordinator:
    Places on campus... this could be buildings, stadiums, fountains, streets, etc. Whatever has meaning for you and your FI. Please do tell me you'll let me help with the seating chart. I love this ish and I have nothing to do but unpack boxes all day, every day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:1557633a-3aa2-40a4-8af5-4db0ef7e6c3f">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of schools with UH.  Also buildings? or Famous sites within the campus?  Like at my school at UCLA we had fountains, statues and sculptures that were well known to the student body. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

<div>Oops, I guess I should have read the thread first. I second Lyn's idea!</div><div>
    </div><div>How many tables do you have? We had 10 tables, and we named them after cities we'd been to together. No one seemed to have a problem finding their table. If you have 20 tables, I'd suggest numbering them.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• beanbot2002beanbot2002 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Someone may have already said this, but what about building or dorm hall names?

ETA: I formally request to change my vote to "I'm a Clicky McClickerson." since way better ideas have been given.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I didn't vote, but if you do buildings, can you get creative and put them sort-of "in the map"? Like if Building X is between Library and Dining hall, put Library (1), Building X (2) and Dining hall (3) ? Someone might notice it and get a kick out of it... :)
  • Omgosh, your wedding is the next wedding!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-help-im-not-creative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6972e68d-ea7e-4ed5-9654-bd954f4e3f65Post:944fbc89-da7f-42f5-be92-90368a8e5cef">Re: WR help. I'm not creative.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Omgosh, your wedding is the next wedding!
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>IT IS!! And has been for a very long time. </div><div>
    </div><div>And Bean, consider your vote changed. :) </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! FI loved the ideas of school names, but he also understood the logic of numbers. I'm gonna play around with it a bit on photoshop this weekend and see what happens. </div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards