Not Engaged Yet

Easter Plans?

I know it's only Monday, but share your plans if you're doing anything nice for Easter (or Passover)! I'm half-Jewish actually, but my family hasn't celebrated the Jewish holidays for the past few years - I think it's hard enough getting everyone together once per season as it is!

I am soooo looking forward to Easter because my family is celebrating at my mom's house. I haven't been able to attend a holiday at her house since...Thanksgiving two years ago, I think? I'm making a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, lemon bars, and the best parmesan mashed potatoes ever. My mom is making a ham, baked ziti, stuffed artichokes, and a ton of other food. I cannot wait to see the rest of my family and especially all my little cousins, and we're bringing Kaya with us, so she gets to play with all the little kids too :-)
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Easter Plans?

• Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    I'm having my first ever EASTER here, haha.  My sister and her husband are coming as well as two of her friends that are displaced for Easter due to graduate school.  It should be pretty fun.  We're having a turkey breast AND a ham, so it can't be that bad :)

ETA: Apparently it's Easter, not Thanksgiving. Fail :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • That sounds fun! :)

My family doesn't really do anything for Easter anymore. I'm not sure I'll even be doing anything this Easter but I MIGHT be going to BF's church. He says he wants to show me what an Episcopalian church is like versus a Baptist church. So we shall see what happens. 

I'm just excited that after Easter, I can wear my white dress shoes again haha. 
  • Kelley, don't be too thrown off by a holiday service at a different denomination.  Granted, I came from Catholicism but I thought my ex's Easter services were the weirdest things ever :)

That's not why we broke up, lol.  But just wanted to warn ya that it's possible you'll be all "whaaaaaa?"
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Lol I'll try not to be too thrown off.

And no disrespect but I remember once attending a regular Catholic Sunday mass and I remember thinking..."I have no idea what is going on. And my knees...they hurt...why so much kneeling?!"

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:eebf2153-e0b2-43bf-9eaf-5a05f39d294a">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol I'll try not to be too thrown off. And no disrespect but I remember once attending a regular Catholic Sunday mass and I remember thinking..."I have no idea what is going on. And my knees...they hurt...why so much kneeling?!"
    Posted by kelley198721[/QUOTE]

Haha, it made total sense to me until I figured out Catholics don't like birth control.  That's simply not acceptable to me.  I'm a much better Methodist.  But really I'm more like a better Christian that doesn't go to church cause it makes me ragey :)
  • Hummingbird- Parm mashed potatoes sound amazing!!!

We usually go to Easter service and then have a big dinner at my parent's house with family. Mom makes a honeybaked Ham with a bunch of different things. Up until recently she even got my sisters and I Easter baskets haha and then she stopped last year because apparently 20, 23, and 25 year olds are too old to get Easter baskets...said no one ever!

This year we are going to Madison, GA for brunch with family and friends on Saturday and on Sunday I'm serving at church for the Kids Ministry and then attending service. I think Mom is going to be pretty exhausted so we might not have a huge dinner but we will still get together after church.
  • We are spending the morning early afternoon with my family then driving about an hour south to meet up with FI ( I still keep typing BF and catching myself) & his family for the rest of the day.  It will be the first time we get to see our full families since the engagement so I'm looking forward to it.  Only bummer is that we will probably miss the season finale of The Walking Dead...

Anniversary

• Mhollister - No one is too old for Easter baskets. 

Danser - That will be fun! It's great that your engagement was right before a holiday, so now you get to see everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be missing out on both holidays :( J's family is Jewish and is currently celebrating passover while I am at home on the other coast of FL. Then I will be heading to his house over the weekend since we are going to Univeral on Monday for my birthday. So I will be missing Easter with my grandma. It doesn't really matter to me from a religious point of view since i dont practice either but I hate missing holidays. 

On the bright side Grandma ended up making lamb chops last night since I would miss them next week and J will be making me potato latkes when I get there. I am going to pick up easter baskets for the both of us you are never too old for jelly bean filled eggs. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:7fff25b0-a46e-451c-bfe0-36ba6f420147">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE] On the bright side Grandma ended up making lamb chops last night since I would miss them next week and J will be making me potato latkes when I get there.
    Posted by PrincessBride2016[/QUOTE<div>
    </div><div>Latkes are the BEST. I wish my family still celebrated the Jewish holidays because I would love for BF to get to experience them, since he knows pretty much nothing about Judaism. I mean, I'm not religious at all, but I still think the stories and rituals are really interesting. I'm from Long Island, and I think at least a third of my HS was Jewish, but BF is from upstate NY and hardly knows anyone who is.</div><div>
    </div><div>Now I need to remind my mom that we'll be needing latkes for Easter as well....

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:bda01a8f-cf18-4347-b6e8-cb117237bf02">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easter Plans? : [QUOTE] On the bright side Grandma ended up making lamb chops last night since I would miss them next week and J will be making me potato latkes when I get there. Posted by PrincessBride2016[/QUOTE Latkes are the BEST. I wish my family still celebrated the Jewish holidays because I would love for BF to get to experience them, since he knows pretty much nothing about Judaism. I mean, I'm not religious at all, but I still think the stories and rituals are really interesting. I'm from Long Island, and I think at least a third of my HS was Jewish, but BF is from upstate NY and hardly knows anyone who is. Now I need to remind my mom that we'll be needing latkes for Easter as well....
    Posted by Hummingbird125[/QUOTE]

<div>I know what you mean about the difference between the boroughs and upstate. Me and J grew up in Staten Island everyone I knew was either Catholic or Jewish or both. In HS he would spend all the Catholic holidays with my family and I would spend all the Jewish ones with his. They even took me to temple for Yom Kippur (I found out afterwards that was very frowned upon since I wasn't jewish, whoops). I loved being able to experience the rituals and while I do not find myself to be religious the stories, rituals, and symbolism are interesting to me. </div>
  • I'm not sure what I am doing for Easter. Probably go to my parents house for dinner. I just know I want some Cadberry Eggs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have to go home.  Mom made a good effort of not buying me chocolate for V-day.  I requested chocolate and sugar for Easter.

I have no idea what BF's plans are, but I guess we'll find out!
    I french with my man
  • BF and I are going to a friend's house for Easter.  She's having lamb which I don't eat, so I'll be eating ALL the vegetables!  At least it'll keep me on track with the weight loss lol. 

In regards to latkes-they are my favorite food ever! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I think my mom's doing brunch at home and then I'm going to BF's GP's for dinner. I REALLY want to make sure I get some ham at brunch because I'm 85% sure the GP's are doing Chinese food for dinner (they don't cook on holidays... weird) and I LOVE ham. My Birthday is April 4 and it occasionally falls on easter - my mom always makes us dinner of choice and I always used to pick ham - she'd be making 2 hams within 3 weeks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:0fde49c8-bf8c-41df-b130-3f79f3150b64">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]BF and I are going to a friend's house for Easter.  <strong>She's having lamb which I don't eat</strong>, so I'll be eating ALL the vegetables!  At least it'll keep me on track with the weight loss lol.  In regards to latkes-they are my favorite food ever! 
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

<div>This makes me so sad.  I recently learned how to cook lamb, and now it's one of my favorites.</div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:4f2db8f3-97a1-4bcb-a2d3-35af69035d76">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easter Plans? : This makes me so sad.  I recently learned how to cook lamb, and now it's one of my favorites.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

This makes my BF sad as well.  He loves lamb and I won't cook it.  I think the only reason he's going to the Easter dinner is for the lamb.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • we are celebrating Easter and my dad's birthday on Sunday after morning church.  we are having fried chicken and other fattening, cheesy foods.  I'm going to bring some kind of a grilled chicken salad...  greasy foods do not agree with me.

Saturday night we have our Spanish-speaking services, so H is preparing something for Easter that night and I'm going to have some snacks ready for after our service.  so far I'm thinking cupcakes, crackers, cheese, and grapes.  not much, but it's manageable.

I'm sure the Easter Bunny will leave something for us 3 kids (my bro, me, and H).  he visits every year.  :)  the pups will all get a new toy or bone as well.  we love celebrating the holidays in our house!
  • We don't celebrate Easter, so we aren't doing anything on Easter Sunday. Both sets of parents are coming to our house on Saturday to install flood lights, light timers, window dowels and a fence (wood and barbed wire) with us because we had $4075 worth of electronics stolen from our house on Friday night and now I'm terrified of both being in the house and being away from the house. Saturday seems really far away.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:c860f0ca-2a57-486e-b02a-b08f549fea9f">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]B and I are headed up to NH to visit my parents. Hopefully we'll be able to make it up on Saturday night instead of Sunday morning. On Sunday morning the Easter Bunny will have left us some treats in my Easter basket, and then we will have lunch around 1 with my parents and grandmother. My parents are being really good about understanding my new diet, so on the menu is salmon with lemon cream sauce (I'm making the sauce), broccoli with butter, and green salad with vinaigrette, and they'll also have jasmine rice that I can't eat. I'm making a keto-friendly no-bake chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert, which I'm really excited about. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous!  my family is not so understanding of H and I trying to eat healthy, even on holidays, so it's fried everything on Easter.  I've tried to figure out the menu, but my mom is just getting offended, so I think I'm just going to bring a salad from Sprouts to eat, and then enjoy some ice cream cake as my splurge.  I would be so sick if I ate fried chicken, cheesy potato casserole, tater tot stuff, etc.  oh well! 

the lemon cream sauce sounds really good.  have you made it before?
  • sounds easy!  thanks!  :)  I think H would like it; he's recently gotten into salmon for the first time in his life.  I've only ever broiled it, so I've been keeping an eye out for sauces and other ways to prepare it.  sounds yummy!!
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_easter-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6cf8387b-b4b0-4f89-ad20-8f2bf2d60265Post:c860f0ca-2a57-486e-b02a-b08f549fea9f">Re: Easter Plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]B and I are headed up to NH to visit my parents. Hopefully we'll be able to make it up on Saturday night instead of Sunday morning. On Sunday morning the Easter Bunny will have left us some treats in my Easter basket, and then we will have lunch around 1 with my parents and grandmother. My parents are being really good about understanding my new diet, so on the menu is salmon with lemon cream sauce (I'm making the sauce), broccoli with butter, and green salad with vinaigrette, and they'll also have jasmine rice that I can't eat. I'm making a keto-friendly no-bake chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert, which I'm really excited about.  ETA: We will also be decorating Easter eggs. Because apparently I'm a 5-year-old.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Decorating Easter Eggs sounds like so much fun! I feel like it's been years since I've done that.

BF's grandparents called us on Friday and were kind enough to mention that "Oh by the way, we're coming to Atlanta to visit in a week" and we were like oh..uh...ok. Doesn't seem to matter that we already told them we were busy this weekend when they called a month ago to ask if we could go to Charleston over Easter weekend. Oh well I guess. So we'll be entertaining them. Friday we have plans to take the grandparents up to North Georgia and visit some of the cute little towns up there. Saturday we're going to an itty bitty town in Middle Georgia to celebrate Easter with friends and family at a converted antebellum home that's now a family style, Southern home cooking restaurant (going to be great for eating healthy I'm sure!). Afterwards they want to go visit Stone Mountain so hopefully the weather is nice. Sunday plans are still up in the air. BF's grandparents said they might be leaving that day so if that's the case BF and I will go up to my parents house for burgers and hot dogs and games.

• Yum, I may have to make that lemon sauce soon too!

Speaking of recipes, anyone have a great carrot cake recipe? I don't like adding nuts or dried fruit - just carrots. I made an awesome one last year but I don't remember what recipe I used.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BF and I are heading to my parents' place for Easter. The only thing I know is that we are having ham and raisin sauce. This year I have to pay attention while we're making raisin sauce since we don't have a recipe written down, we never will write down a recipe, and someday someone will stare at me when I don't know how to make raisin sauce.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards