Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Altar ideas

Our wedding and reception are in the same location. We are having in a huge ball room at the convention center in our city. We are using pipe and draping to divide the two areas, but I can't figure out how to do an altar. The wall is tan colored. Our colors are black red and white and we are on a budget. Would anyone want to share ideas or pictures? Thanks for the help!

Re: Altar ideas

• We had the same colors.  We used an arch decorated with fabric.  Pics in bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think an arch is probably your best bet.  If you need a table for any reason like a unity ceremony, you can probably just cover it in a white cloth.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'm also feeling the arch plan.  All you would really need to put that together is some power tools and some 2x4s or PVC piping.  The biggest tool you'd need is a chop saw so you can get the angles so it's not a square arch.  But a lot of theater departments even at your local high school would have that.  Or maybe a shop class for a modest donation.

If you did 2x4s, you could paint them in the same (or similar) color to the tan wall, so it blends in.  Then drape it with reds and whites for fabrics as well.

If you want to bring in natural elements, you could do fake vines and flowers for really inexpensive.  A friend of mine did that this summer... but their arch wasn't very well constructed, and we wound up using weights to keep it steady.

• I'm just starting my planning and I too am having my ceremony and my reception at the same place.  I'm having it in a hotel where I'm dividing the ballroom with the airwall--the larger side with the windows will be the reception and the smaller side will be for the ceremony.  One of the walls has gorgeous wallpaper panels on it that I will use as the backdrop.  Right now I'm considering a small stage for us (and possibly the BP) to stand on and having just 2 larger floral centerpieces on each end...perhaps on rented pedestals?  LIke I said, I'm just starting to think about this, so that idea could be thrown out based on $$$.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards