Not Engaged Yet
Options

Coming out of lurk-land... (into)

2»

Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:ee7fc190-0ec3-455a-99c3-37d2643edef6">Re:Coming out of lurkland... into</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Coming out of lurkland... into : How long is 'long'? I assume 3+ years since you want to get into a vet tec program (a 2 year program) and don't want to start planning until after you are finished. I would HIGHLY recomend waiting until after you are finished with the vet tec program to get engaged. This is coming from a 22 year old girl who skrewed that one up and regrets it...  Why do you NEED to be engaged now? Why can't you just wait until you're ready to plan a wedding to be engaged?
    Posted by polkadot111[/QUOTE]

<div>Also, were you in the tech program? what happened that interrupted it? Did you just kind of give up the studies for wedding mags?  :C</div>
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:cd9f0330-33f8-438c-bb5e-106a47deb990">Re:Coming out of lurkland... into</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Coming out of lurkland... into : This.  I wanted to get engaged years ago while I was in university thinking we'd get married after school.  Well, jobs are hard to come by, and we've been out of school for almost 2 years now.  I'm glad we didn't get engaged then, because we still don't have the money to plan a wedding.   I just personally wouldn't want to be engaged for years and years without planning a wedding.  It makes the most sense to me (now) to wait until we are financially capable/ready to actively plan to be married, versus get engaged right now when we can't really plan a whole lot. Not that you won't necessarily find an awesome job right away.  But coming from me (and BF) who have top honours degrees and can't find anything related to our degrees/that we're qualified for, don't assume like I did that work will be there.   Now, after that lovely downer post...welcome to the board :)  
    Posted by kaitlynmichelle[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Haha, thanks! As I said to pp, Its not that I need to be engaged right now. Its more that we've agreed that its in our future, and I wanted BF to know what to do when he wanted to do it. He can take as long as he likes  :)
    I get what youre saying though, I dont expect to get a super awesome job fresh out of the program. I will always have my feed store job, which im getting promoted to assistant manager in about a month (yay!), so even if its not my dream job, itll pay the bills until i find something better  :)</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:3d62a600-3481-4cc6-aff7-54863b52c15b">Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into) : <strong>heh I dated a 30yo at 18 and it was because he had a fast car, nice house, money and a rather large ahem so yeah it was definitely about that</strong> hehe To each their own though. Your cats are really cute OP
    Posted by doubleSS07[/QUOTE]
    Ditto.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hi OP.

I see that this got beaten to death a bit last night, but I'd like to do a couple things.

1. Welcome!  We're pretty much the shiit, so we're glad you're here.
    2. I want to quickly address the age issue.  Yes, I've read this thread all the way through, and I see that you've done your best to validate your relationship and whatever.

I, too, am 22.  When I was 18 I started dating a guy who was 23.  5 years difference.  That ended in a flaming pile of hell after we got engaged.  I was a freshman in college, he was a 5th year senior...  We were together for three and a half years.  And I promise you that I saw the end coming long before it actually did.  I think, actually, shortly before we got engaged, someone on here called the breakup.  I reiterate, these women are the shiit.

I'm not saying that your relationship is going to end.  You may be able to make it work.  But, as someone your age, I'm going to advise you to not put on the blinders and ignore the little things.  I'm not saying that every little thing is a reason to breakup, but I am saying that if there is a bigger issue there, it isn't just going to go away randomly.  You need to see the whole picture.

And with that, welcome to the board.  I hope you stick around.  :)
    I french with my man
  • Options
    hahahahahah oh man, your sig. I love that episode. Hell, I love every episode of The Venture Bros. And Brock Sampson? That Swedish murder machine? Best motherfucking character ever.

Well, him and Dr Henry Killinger.

And Molotov Cocktease.

And 21 and 24.

Everything about that show is amazing.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:2a955b4f-ba8b-4df7-a8df-a32996a521c7">Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi OP. I see that this got beaten to death a bit last night, but I'd like to do a couple things. 1. Welcome!  We're pretty much the shiit, so we're glad you're here. 2. I want to quickly address the age issue.  Yes, I've read this thread all the way through, and I see that you've done your best to validate your relationship and whatever. I, too, am 22.  When I was 18 I started dating a guy who was 23.  5 years difference.  That ended in a flaming pile of hell after we got engaged.  I was a freshman in college, he was a 5th year senior...  We were together for three and a half years.  And I promise you that I saw the end coming long before it actually did.  I think, actually, shortly before we got engaged, someone on here called the breakup.  I reiterate, these women are the shiit. I'm not saying that your relationship is going to end.  You may be able to make it work.  But, as someone your age, I'm going to advise you to not put on the blinders and ignore the little things.  I'm not saying that every little thing is a reason to breakup, but I am saying that if there is a bigger issue there, it isn't just going to go away randomly.  You need to see the whole picture. And with that, welcome to the board.  I hope you stick around.  :)
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]<div>Thanks for the welcome! A lot of people have told me their older-than-them break-up stories, and I try to see things coming as clearly as possible, but Im sure you know that you cant see everything coming! what happened between you and XBF to cause the breakup? I guess i just want to know what the downfall of the relationships were, because no one has told me details yet! Id like to know what, in your opinion, I should look out for.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:1e17c5f8-2261-4b27-b4ac-850a5c4b36b8">Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)</a>:
    [QUOTE]hahahahahah oh man, your sig. I love that episode. Hell, I love every episode of The Venture Bros. And Brock Sampson? That Swedish murder machine? Best motherfucking character ever. Well, him and Dr Henry Killinger. And Molotov Cocktease. And 21 and 24. ... Everything about that show is amazing.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, Venture Bros is pretty much my favorite show ever. EVER. Its definitely hard to settle on a favorite character, but I think i like 21 and 24 the best!</div><div>"And then Ill fly into her room, with a jet pack, and shell be dating the GOOD guy! and then Ill say, 'Ill spare his life, but only for you, <em>sugarpaaaaaaants...</em>"  XD</div>
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:d2aef141-289a-4a97-93fe-262e47c5a888">Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into) : Thanks for the welcome! A lot of people have told me their older-than-them break-up stories, and I try to see things coming as clearly as possible, but Im sure you know that you cant see everything coming! what happened between you and XBF to cause the breakup? I guess i just want to know what the downfall of the relationships were, because no one has told me details yet! Id like to know what, in your opinion, I should look out for.
    Posted by Battletoads[/QUOTE]

There were a lot of things.  Things that I really don't want to go into with a new poster.  My single, solitary bit of advice is to keep your head out of the fog.  I had a tendency to say things to myself like "oh, well, this isn't really a big deal" or "yes, but, this doesn't matter in the big picture."  When we got to talking about planning a wedding, those things mattered a great deal.

My point was, don't just brush things under the rug.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coming-out-of-lurk-land-into?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:78e343d5-b10e-4bcf-8077-5aba76fcab85Post:1a8be875-93e9-4b4c-8117-1779c93793a1">Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coming out of lurk-land... (into) : There were a lot of things.  Things that I really don't want to go into with a new poster.  My single, solitary bit of advice is to keep your head out of the fog.  I had a tendency to say things to myself like "oh, well, this isn't really a big deal" or "yes, but, this doesn't matter in the big picture."  When we got to talking about planning a wedding, those things mattered a great deal. My point was, don't just brush things under the rug.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

<div>I understand if you dont wanna talk about it with me. Ill try and make sure I perceive things as clearly as possible. I dont often find myself covering up for him, hes always been very considerate and kind, and if I have a problem, we figure it out together without getting into a fight. I will take your advice to heart, and keep a good head on my shoulders.  :)</div>
  • Options
    You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. And you like Venture Bros. So I'm just gonna say Hi and welcome!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards