Not Engaged Yet

When does the grouch come out?

Just because I'm curious, I have a question.  For those of you who are engaged and your SO got a little grouchy before they proposed, as I've heard some do, how soon did the grouchiness start? Was it just the day of, a few hours before, a week before?

My BF's coworker asked her (now) fiance if he was planning on breaking up with her because he was in such a bad mood and wouldn't talk to her for up to about a week before he asked. I think he was trying to make her think a proposal was the farthest thing from his mind, but he took it a little too far.

So just wondering what your experiences are.
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: When does the grouch come out?

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That is a shitty thing to do.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    I've never heard of that/didn't experience that. FI was probably happier if anything.
    5/27/12
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My sister told me today that she thought my (now) bro-in-law was mad at her for making him clean the bathroom that day, when really he was proposing that night and was just stressed/grouchy.

My mom thought my dad was breaking up with her the night that he proposed because he didn't eat anything at dinner (that is SO unlike my dad) and barely spoke two words.

My BF apologized last night for being so grouchy this week, but when I asked why he was so grouchy, he didn't really have a good reason... we'll see if I end up with a similar story to my sis and mom! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_grouch-come-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7cadad09-0573-4a7a-bc22-5390320968ffPost:beae8f7e-61ff-416f-b73d-1a42b41c1256">Re: When does the grouch come out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister told me today that she thought my (now) bro-in-law was mad at her for making him clean the bathroom that day, when really he was proposing that night and was just stressed/grouchy. My mom thought my dad was breaking up with her the night that he proposed because he didn't eat anything at dinner (that is SO unlike my dad) and barely spoke two words. My BF apologized last night for being so grouchy this week, but when I asked why he was so grouchy, he didn't really have a good reason... <strong>we'll see if I end up with a similar story to my sis and mom! :)</strong>
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

I hope soooo!
    5/27/12
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ely, I think you're really cool, but seriously, you need to get your mind off this shiit. You keep making threads about "oh, he's up to something," and "I had an engagment dream!" etc etc.

This makes me think engagements and weddings are on your mind A LOT.

I say this with love:

Stop looking for signs. Stop analyzing everything your BF does. Seriously. For your own good. STOP thinking about it so damn much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiger: I hope that it does happen that way for you too then and he's not just being moody!

Desert: Haha, you're probably right. I am stuck on it so much more now because my best friend keeps telling me it's going to happen on our vacation next week. I think it'll be better after it's over. I do need to stop though. This is why I like posting here; you guys keep me grounded...or at least try. I promise I will do my best to stop thinking about it so much. I definitely don't want it to end up stressing me out on our vacation. Every time I start thinking about it, I'll just think about this post and that I'm going to make myself looney if I don't stop.
    -Ely

• Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_grouch-come-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7cadad09-0573-4a7a-bc22-5390320968ffPost:b8715315-4824-4db1-8fbb-bcb08c1ea6c5">Re: When does the grouch come out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tiger: I hope that it does happen that way for you too then and he's not just being moody! Desert: Haha, you're probably right. I am stuck on it so much more now because my best friend keeps telling me it's going to happen on our vacation next week. I think it'll be better after it's over. I do need to stop though. This is why I like posting here; you guys keep me grounded...or at least try. I promise I will do my best to stop thinking about it so much. I definitely don't want it to end up stressing me out on our vacation. Every time I start thinking about it, I'll just think about this post and that I'm going to make myself looney if I don't stop.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]
    Well then you need to start posting about other things. What did you do today? Any stories from work? And with the exception of the borderline BSC posts I haven't seen much of you. Where have you been?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Usually I just lurk around and read. I'm kinda shy in person, so it's easier to comment on other peoples' posts than make one myself and I am on mostly at work too, so it doesn't take as long to read as opposed to writing a post and then following up on it.

You guys always have so much more interesting things to write about than I do too, lol.

But to answer your questions. Today I got to go visit my doctor for my yearly check up. I always freak out about this but had a different doctor today and actually wasn't uncomfortable at all even under the circumstances. I also found out that my cervix faces upward, or something like that. I'm not sure what that means but she said it wasn't bad, just makes her job a bit harder, lol. That may be TMI, but I figured I'd answer honestly. Other than that, I worked and am now packing for our vacation this weekend. Pretty boring stuff, lol.

Nothing particular exciting from work either. I work from home so no office stories.
    -Ely

• edited December 2011
    Dude, that is a serious engagement myth.  FI never got grouchy.

Oh, and Desert FTW.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_grouch-come-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7cadad09-0573-4a7a-bc22-5390320968ffPost:beae8f7e-61ff-416f-b73d-1a42b41c1256">Re: When does the grouch come out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BF apologized last night for being so grouchy this week, but when I asked why he was so grouchy, he didn't really have a good reason... we'll see if I end up with a similar story to my sis and mom! :)
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Oh Jeebus...4th of July sure came on quick!! When we first started talking about it....it seemed SOOO far away. And now it's here!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My FI wasn't grouchy at all, in fact, he didn't seem any different, not overly lovey, excited, nervous, etc.  Then again I wasn't really paying attention because I was not expecting him to do it when he did. 

FWIW, we went on vacation to Puerto Rico last year and all my friends were psyching me up telling me that he would propose.  I thought about it a little bit, but had convinced myself that it wasn't going to happen because I didn't want to constantly be expecting it and then getting myself disappointed when it didn't happen.  Well...it didn't happen.  And because I wasn't expecting it, it was one of the funnest vacations I've ever had.  You don't want to waste your whole vacation getting disappointed because he didn't propose, just remember to have fun because you are on vacation!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards