Options

Engagement Parties

What exactly happends at these events? 

Re: Engagement Parties

• Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    People gather, usually eat and drink. What do you do at parties?
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:14a5645c-f95c-4644-a170-8ccc76c8072a">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]People gather, usually eat and drink. <strong>What do you do at parties?</strong>
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]

<div>Play scrabble;)</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, pretty much a bunch of people come to the hosts house (not sure what the proper etiquette is for who's supposed to host these things), toasts are made, mingling happens, and I understand that there is oftentimes cake.

• Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:14a5645c-f95c-4644-a170-8ccc76c8072a">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]People gather, usually eat and drink. <strong>What do you do at parties?</strong>
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]

<div>Are we keeping it PG?</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:6ab0d48d-13cc-44c7-9167-6130eb60cc66">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engagement Parties : Are we keeping it PG?
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

..giggle giggle..
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to ones that are more formal/cocktail like. And I've been to some that are more bbq/summer pool party. It's just like any other party. You're there to congratulate the newly engaged couple and have a good time. I've never brought a gift unless you consider a case of beer or bottle of wine a gift. 

Other than that, yes there is probably a lot of wedding chatter, but there would be at any party where a couple that just got engaged would be. The guys congratulate their buddy, then talk about other things. The girls giggle a bit about the wedding, talk about the proposal, They may ask more details because let's face it, we're chicks and we like talking about that stuff sometimes, but the bride-to-be likely hasn't planned anything yet. So you get excited and giggly, then you talk about other things. Then you congratulate the couple again on your way out. 

Sometimes there's dancing! But the more I write the more this question confuses me. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The bride plays spin the bottle.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butane0kisses?

Are you a fire blower?

Fire eater?

Do you travel with the circus?

Are you coming to my hometown?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:c5ea8c1a-a679-42f0-9089-df5b462ad630">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]Butane0kisses? Are you a fire blower? Fire eater? Do you travel with the circus? Are you coming to my hometown?
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

Can we get the hook-up on tickets?
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:60d1b77e-b4e3-4cc8-be26-77137cfc47eb">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to ones that are more formal/cocktail like. And I've been to some that are more bbq/summer pool party. It's just like any other party. You're there to congratulate the newly engaged couple and have a good time. <strong>I've never brought a gift unless you consider a case of beer or bottle of wine a gift</strong>.  Other than that, yes there is probably a lot of wedding chatter, but there would be at any party where a couple that just got engaged would be. The guys congratulate their buddy, then talk about other things. The girls giggle a bit about the wedding, talk about the proposal, They may ask more details because let's face it, we're chicks and we like talking about that stuff sometimes, but the bride-to-be likely hasn't planned anything yet. So you get excited and giggly, then you talk about other things. Then you congratulate the couple again on your way out.  Sometimes there's dancing! But the more I write the more this question confuses me. 
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

Um, always.

I went to my best friend's and they had a cutesy outdoor one next to the pool, a friend catered the whole thing with BBQ type food, and they played some engagement games. One was to have the ladies (they are engaged lesbians) sit back to back and each was holding one of their own shoes and one of their FI's shoes. They are then asked a bunch of questions (which one spends more money, which one likes silly TV shows, which one snores, etc) and each one lifted the shoe (hers or her FI's) of who did that thing. Mostly they had the same answers but there were some - like which one makes more of a mess - where they held the oppposite person's and we all laughed. It was cute.
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to/helped plan an engagement party that the bride and groom threw. Their wedding was on the East Coast, but they had a lot of family and friends that were on the West Coast that wouldn't be able to attend the wedding. They wanted a party here so they could celebrate with family and friends that couldn't attend the actual wedding. They paid for everything and it took place at a local restaurant. They also had a small game with prizes.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    E-parties are what you make of it.  My In-laws threw one for my FI and I and it was a backyard BBQ where Danish and Vietnamese food meshed together for one delicious belly busting event.  And we cracked open a couple of bottles of bubblies and my FFIL made me turn red when he made a toast.  Oh and we got the cake below in  my signature to dig into.  It was INSANELY delicious.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You eat, make tentative plans for wedding and get drunk to celebrate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What everyone else said. Sometimes its the parents that throw the parties, but FILs, B&G, or other friends and family can throw them too. Food and drinks are given, all the women oogle the ring, toasts are given and hopefully a yummy desert is eaten. Sometimes very close family members bring small gifts, but most guests wont. Cards may also be given or sent by those who cannot attend. Hopefully everyone has fun and the B&G get good pre-wedding vibes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to an engagement party, but those and bridal showers aren't really done in my circle.

FI threw one for his friends, and it was just a casual BBQ at his house. I think he was annoyed that they didn't feel like doing the same for us.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:854f99ca-b296-4c6a-8342-6a4c2c3aa899Post:289fb1ba-a5c4-4b8e-9df0-d0fd30c6d267">Re: Engagement Parties</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been to an engagement party, but those and bridal showers aren't really done in my circle. FI threw one for his friends, and it was just a casual BBQ at his house. I think he was annoyed that they didn't feel like doing the same for us.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we've thrown 3 at our house for friends who got engaged.  No one's making any moves to throw us one.  Meh... whatever.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards