Not Engaged Yet
Options

Since people are saying there is a lack of non-engaged people...

I'll share a fun gem of a story that some non-engaged may relate to! (Or you engaged ladies may remember encountering).

I called my sister to catch up last night. After an hour long conversation, we say our goodbyes. In the last moment she comments that when she saw it was me calling, she thought I might be calling to tell her I'm engaged, since it's before the holidays and all.

No no no I said. BF is still unemployed and as secretive as ever. It could be tomorrow, could be next year. No idea...

We had a good laugh about it at least!

Re: Since people are saying there is a lack of non-engaged people...

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha yes I know what that's like!

This spring I went on a trip to Europe w/BF and I told me family that I had something to tell them when I got back.  Of course, everyone thought we were engaged, but really I just met Robert Pattinson.  It hadn't occured to me that they would think we were engaged.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everytime I talk to my BestF she asks well  do you have a ring yet.

I wish she would stop asking so I wouldn't feel so pressured to have one.

I know the time will come eventually
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah, anytime i talk to anyone who isnt part of my immediate family, i always get asked if we're engaged yet. it's getting really old, i hate feeling pressured.
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never felt pressured.  No one ever bothers me with the questions like "When is it your turn?" or "Aren't you engaged yet."  I probably would hate that too.

But usually, I just say something that people misinterpret and they get excited thinking that I might be engaged.  I don't have a problem with that really.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yes, I love this thread. What I have learned is.... Never go to Europe, I went to Spain this year and was asked constantly if he was going to propose there... um, no he's not going. Don't do anything except clean the house on the weekends and don't talk about what you are getting him for christmas. If I follow these rules then maybe I'll get away with not getting asked everyday. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    love this...it makes me feel like I'm not the only one! hahaha

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hear you guys about the 'proposal on vacation' questions. Two years ago we went to Curacao for my birthday. The first thing my boss said to me when I got back was, "WHERE'S THE RING???"  BF had gotten me some gorgeous diamond earrings, but that didn't satisfy the askers!

Honestly, getting laid off was the BEST thing that could have happened in terms of people asking. It was becoming an almost daily question, especially around my birthday this summer. As soon as I replied "BF laid off" people felt SO BAD and no one has really been asking since! Who knew it would be such a random blessing? This gem from my sister was the first in a long time so I could laugh it off easily!
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    same here! very much not engaged!
  • Options
    bekalinzbekalinz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ha  i can relate too.  last year over Christmas dinner my grandmother decides to drill my boyfriend as to why he had not proposed yet...well, here it is almost the holidays again and we are not engaged and he is dreading seeing my grandmother.

every time i talk to her she asks me where my ring is...i mean really, people, it will happen when it happens...and the constant bugging just makes him frustrated.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whenever people ask me it just makes me frustrated lately. I used to be like, get off my back, it'll happen when it happens. Now I'm getting really impatient lately and when someone brings it up I end up thinking about it more. Grrrrrrrrr
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ashleyjo09ashleyjo09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I can relate and I've only been with BF for 6 months. It doesn't help that every girl in my family (approximately 6  girls)that are either my age or younger and are already married. They graduated high school and slapped a ring on their finger. 9 months later a baby popped out! I'm not joking....my niece is 22 and she's pregnant with her 2nd child.

I realized after a family dinner that I'm still too young to get married much less have a child! Give me a few more years, please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    All the questions started up big last year around the holidays and I went from a normal girl who didn't care about getting engaged to a totally BSC biotch. It only lasted for about a week though.

Not gonna lie, a little nervous about surviving this holiday season with my sanity intact. It's getting to the point where my witty and clever combacks are starting to get on my nerves and I just want to punch anyone in the face who asks.

I've never asked anyone a question that personal in my life and can't imagine what would possess someone ask me, and then keep harping on it. Go ask BF damnit, it's pretty obvious that I'm as clueless as you are, except I'm apparently the only one alright with it being that way. lol
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Luckily I don't get that question.
    Friday some drama went down at my house.
    Sunday my BIL came over and was talking to my mom in the front yard.  I stepped out to talk to him. This is the convo:

me:  Did you hear?
    Him: You're expecting?
    me: What?
    Him: You are????
    me: NO! What the hell made you think that?
    Him: I don't know, you asked if I heard, heard what? heard you're pregnant?
    me: NO! heard what happened Friday. geeesh
  • Options
    RedMinxRedMinx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have been with my BF for over 5 years so I get these questions alot!  Even in the most random situations...

I went to my Cardio Kickboxing class last night and my friends wanted to grab a coffee afterwards with me.  I told her that I couldn't go because my BF was cooking me dinner when I got home...she was like "Ohhh I wonder if he is going to propose."

Ummm...since when does BF cooking dinner automatically put that thought in someone's head?  I was just excited that it wasn't me cooking dinner for once!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I told my mom earlier this year that BF and I are planning on getting married sometime in 2010.  Now she keeps bugging me about it.  We're not engaged yet because we're trying to save up some money.  Yesterday she asked me if I wanted to go dress shopping.  *ugh*  I wish I hadn't mentioned it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker this message was posted with recycled electrons.
  • Options
    MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    San.Marie, I did the same thing!  I told my dad (who is the biggest gossip and I should have known, but I'd had a few glasses of wine) that we were thinking about next September.  Next thing I know, my mom is calling me asking if I'm engaged and why I didn't tell her!  (parents are divorced by the way, so she heard it from my brother who heard it from my dad).

I have been surprised at the LACK of pressure from my family.   But definitely wondering if people will bring it up at Thanksgiving. 

I gave Matt my Christmas list and on it (as a joke) I put "a ring from Matthew".  He laughed when he saw it.  Maybe a good sign . . .Foot in mouth
  • Options
    babybchbumbabybchbum member
    edited December 2011
    People are so gossipy about engament news and ugh it stresses us all out.

Why don't people understand that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yeah, we get that from time to time, but it appears to have been picking up the closer we get to the holidays. I just want to throw snowballs at people's heads...it's like, "he'll do it when he d***-well feels like it!!!"

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    wishin4ringwishin4ring member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm non-engaged.. My bf finally told me about a month and a half ago that he was looking... now I'm going nuts!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards