Not Engaged Yet

San Diego

One of my BFFs is now living in San Diego. I just booked flights for BF and I to go visit for 5 days at the beginning of March.

I'm sure my friend will have lots of cool stuff for us to do, but is there anything in that area that I should make sure not to miss?

Neither BF or I have ever been to the west coast at all, so we're super excited about this trip!

Re: San Diego

• Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

I loved Sea World because I got to pet a dolphin.  =)

You can also go to the beach, but the water is still cold, especially in March.
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    Oh that will be fun :)  I am all with leia, she has great ideas!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:395ae109-c9f2-4a5b-b6e6-2cea3f0c950f">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. I loved Sea World because I got to pet a dolphin.  =) You can also go to the beach, but the water is still cold, especially in March.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Pacific Ocean scares me. I won't even get in the water anywhere north of VA...in July. I'm a huge baby when it comes to cold water.

I love seals, though. One of my friends said she went kayaking somewhere around San Diego, and the seals just came right up to the boat.

I definitely want to do the zoo.
  • Gas lamp district, there's an awesome Drag Show down there called "Lips" the drag queens are awesome.  You can have drinks and catch a show or dinner and a show.  Coronado Island is also a beautiful part of the city to visit.  No need to swim but how about a kayak tour through the bay and inlets?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:729991f2-b0f6-429d-b08f-fcef2f72a4b6">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego : Yeah, the Pacific Ocean scares me. I won't even get in the water anywhere north of VA...in July. I'm a huge baby when it comes to cold water. I love seals, though. One of my friends said she went kayaking somewhere around San Diego, and the seals just came right up to the boat. I definitely want to do the zoo.
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

I didn't see seals out and about so much, but I saw tons of sea lions. We went kayaking in Mission Bay. I don't know if you want to do that in March, though. We went in September.
  • I went to San Diego once and I so want to go back. Definately visit the zoo and sea world, Old Towne San Diego was cool, and the Gas Lamp Quarter.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:0fe04817-4e33-4325-a44e-b2baa9490b36">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego : I didn't see seals out and about so much, but I saw tons of sea lions. We went kayaking in Mission Bay. I don't know if you want to do that in March, though. We went in September.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

It's definitely possible these were sea lions mistaken as seals, haha.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!
  • Oh and p.s. can you pack me in your suite case? hehe

• Also, you are only about 2 hours to Disneyland. So that could always be a fun thing to do as well! Definitely the zoo and Seaworld, and the gas lamp quarter. And the ocean! If you don't like swimming in it, maybe just dinner over by it or walk it or something :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would definitely agree with going to the zoo. BF and I were there in August for the first time. We spent 9 hours there and still didn't have quite enough time to see everything...wish we would've went a bit earlier.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:3f76dbe3-dbf1-4a7d-8c9b-0981efdeb08f">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, you are only about 2 hours to Disneyland. So that could always be a fun thing to do as well! Definitely the zoo and Seaworld, and the gas lamp quarter. And the ocean! If you don't like swimming in it, maybe just dinner over by it or walk it or something :)
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

Is Disneyland much different than Disneyworld? I've been to Disneyworld, and we go on vacation in FL every year. Is it worth the trip to Disneyland?

I definitely plan on being as close to the ocean as possible, as often as possible. I just don't plan on doing any surfing or swimming :)

Thanks again for the suggestions...I'm taking notes!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:d023c530-ba45-4e9a-9d2d-1b95f12e2b2d">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego : Is Disneyland much different than Disneyworld? I've been to Disneyworld, and we go on vacation in FL every year. Is it worth the trip to Disneyland? I definitely plan on being as close to the ocean as possible, as often as possible. I just don't plan on doing any surfing or swimming :) Thanks again for the suggestions...I'm taking notes!

Disneyland is just a smaller version of Disney World in my opinion.  If you've been there then you aren't missing out.  But if you're interested California Adventure Park is slightly different, but the Tower of Terror has been at Disney World for a long time.  So I advise you that it isn't worth it.  Plus depending on where you are San Diego can be 2-4 hour drive.  I can make it from DisneyLand to SD in 2 hours doing 85 on a Saturday Morning at 8 am.  But that stretch of freeway between SD and South Orange County is a headache. 

They have great bicycle tours or rentals so if you like to cover some ground I suggest that as well.
  • That reminds me, I think it was in SD where we rented bikes and biked along the beach paths. You have to watch out for all the pedestrians, but it was fun.  I think that was at Mission Beach, but plenty of places rent bikes. Also, Mission Beach has a boardwalk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:d023c530-ba45-4e9a-9d2d-1b95f12e2b2d">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego : Is Disneyland much different than Disneyworld? I've been to Disneyworld, and we go on vacation in FL every year. Is it worth the trip to Disneyland? I definitely plan on being as close to the ocean as possible, as often as possible. I just don't plan on doing any surfing or swimming :) Thanks again for the suggestions...I'm taking notes!
    My understanding is Disneyland isn't as cool. Their castle is apparently fake! Like it's just a facade.<div>
    </div><div>I think you should go to Sea World and the San Diego zoo. BF has been there and he said their zoo is AMAZING and if we ever go to San Diego together and can only do one thing, that's where we're going.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_san-diego?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9e68abc1-3e46-49ec-bc5d-1b4122e1a8edPost:744905aa-97e0-4904-b108-fe64557dea79">Re: San Diego</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego : My understanding is Disneyland isn't as cool. Their castle is apparently fake! Like it's just a facade. I think you should go to Sea World and the San Diego zoo. BF has been there and he said their zoo is AMAZING and if we ever go to San Diego together and can only do one thing, that's where we're going.
    Posted by tdwpg1984[/QUOTE]

<div>It's an actual castle. You can go inside it and view an entire little diorama of Sleeping Beauty. FI later informed me he had actually planned on proposing inside the castle, but there was a family behind us and he felt it infringed on the moment or something, lol.</div><div>
    </div><div>Granted, Sleeping Beauty's castle is nowhere near as large as Cinderella's castle (which you can actually SLEEP in), but it is tourable. </div><div>
    </div><div>jorja - Check out the zoo and Sea World. And, if you have time (and the funds), you should definitely check out the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Take ANY of the safaris (segway, caravan, zipline) if you can. They're AMAZING. FI and I took the caravan (I think it was) and you got to feed a Giraffe. We were going to do the one where you can feed the giraffes AND the rhinos (my 2nd favorite animal), but it was all booked up. Still a blast, though! The giraffes will come right up to you (and the ostriches will pickpocket you if you're not careful ;) ).</div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards