Not Engaged Yet
Options

Really Upset (vent)

So as many of you remember, I'm trying to figure out what to do about grad school and the biggest obstacle is finances. My friend who also applied to the same program as me and got in just texted me saying she got a half tuition scholarship for all four semesters. I just don't get it. She went to the same undergrad program as me (architecture) at the same school (the grad program is at the same university that we will be graduating from and we are both from small towns in-state). She is a very similar student to me academically and we did a lot of the same extra curriculars. She is in a better position financially than me. I just don't get why she would get something and I wouldn't. I'm extremely happy for her, but I'm just feeling really bad about myself right now. I know I'm being extremely whiny, but I've really been struggling with this decision and this just adds to frustration.

Thanks for letting me vent. LOL cats or anything to make me smile would be appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Really Upset (vent)

• Options
    :( *hugs* I am sorry.  That really is very frustrating.  I don't have any good advice but hugs. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    That does suck, but there's got to be a reason in there somewhere.  Hmmm.

Did you make a decision yet on whether you're going or not?
  • Options
    It's still up in the air. I'm meeting with the advisor of the other cheaper program I got into tomorrow, but my heart is still set on 1. The loans are a big deal though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks. My school will put all the qualified applicants in a system then they randomly choose about 90 of who gets them. She could've just been selected. :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That really sucks, but there must be some sort of reason. They don't just randomly decide who to give scholarships to, especially not scholarships that big.

I haz no advice, but I haz lolcats:
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm sure there's a good reason, it just doesn't feel like it right now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That really sucks. It's completely okay (and I think kind of normal) to be happy for her, but bummed for you. Of course there's a reason why, but you'll just frustrate yourself trying to read the minds of the scholarship people. You may never know. Hugs! Keep your chin up and keep looking for options. Is there a way to re-apply? Or alternative, outside scholarships? Don't give up if this is something you decide you really want to do. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but I know it will all be worth the stress when it's done!

-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Are you POSITIVE you didn't get a scholarship?  Some programs will only tell you about your scholarships weeks after you've been admitted.

That happened to me with law school.  They admitted me, then a MONTH later, they were like, "Congratulations!  You've received a full-tuition merit scholarship."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-upset-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9efd03e6-ddec-4bf4-acba-2d74dec2995bPost:e67ac334-5fe2-480b-a877-af06ddc99524">Re: Really Upset (vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you POSITIVE you didn't get a scholarship?  Some programs will only tell you about your scholarships weeks after you've been admitted. That happened to me with law school.  They admitted me, then a MONTH later, they were like, "Congratulations!  You've received a full-tuition merit scholarship."
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I'm positive. It says in the admission letter "We have had a particularly strong pool of applicants for the 2012 incoming class, of which I hope you will be a part, and we are not able to offer scholarship awards to every incoming student. unfortunately I regret to convey that we are not able to offer you financial support. <strong>Please note also that the URP program allocates all of its scholarship awards at the time of admission and is not able to provide additional financial support for students once in residence</strong>."</div><div>
    </div><div>So pretty much, 'we're giving you nothing, don't even ask'.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hate to bring this up but in my experience sometimes people lie about these things... It's maybe not to be malicious but only because they're insecure. Also if it's true it could be that some particular test or class that she performed a little better on was weighted a lot more, even if you guys overall had about the same record. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it because if it's true then it's probably some dumb technicality. It sucks but it doesn't reflect badly on you and in the end I'm sure you'll be just as successful!
  • Options
    Perhaps you will be able to become a TA later on during grad school to offset some of the costs. I feel your pain, I also went to both undergrad and grad for architecture. I was a TA for my first year and typically it pays $500 a month plus full tuition. Well, that year they decided to send more people to Italy for grad school and they cut the tuition scholarship, then reinstated it the year after I left. So basically, I got screwed. It's going to be hard, but so worth it. Good luck in grad school, I found it much easier than undergrad!
    The Skinny Architect: www.skinnyarchitect.com
  • Options
    I'm sorry Snow, that sucks. PP had some good thoughts, but I would add that maybe she had some stronger recommendation letters, or was closer with a professor who might might have had a say in the scholarship award process. Either way, its sucks. But I do tend to think that these things happen for a reason.

Here's a funny LOL cat to brighten your day:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that really sucks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_really-upset-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9efd03e6-ddec-4bf4-acba-2d74dec2995bPost:c04002a7-d8e9-49e0-955e-355252ad8631">Re: Really Upset (vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry Snow, that sucks. PP had some good thoughts, but I would add that maybe she had some stronger recommendation letters, or was closer with a professor who might might have had a say in the scholarship award process. Either way, its sucks. But I do tend to think that these things happen for a reason. Here's a funny LOL cat to brighten your day:
    Posted by lennonkdc[/QUOTE]

That LOL cat made my morning =D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Liv. Honestly, I know that there's so much that goes into the process, it was really just a gut reaction, you know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards