Not Engaged Yet
Options

This is ridiculous! (vent)

Well, that was fun. I just spent 15 minutes going in a circle with my bank.

I called the number on the back of my credit card to notify them that I'll be in Mexico. I know with certain countries, the card won't work if I don't tell them first. So the lady asks for my name, card number, home phone, and work phone. I provide them all, and she says, "Sorry, that doesn't match what we have on file. You need to call the bank's member services."

Not a big deal. I changed jobs a year and a half ago. Maybe I never updated the work phone number. So I call member services to verify the phone numbers. After answering a whole bunch of questions, she says, "Yes, that matches what we have."

So now I think the first person just made a typo. I get transferred back to card services and provide the numbers again. Still wrong. I tell the person I just confirmed they're right with member services, but they have no other way to verify I'm me and won't talk to me. The person advises I have member services conference them in to sort it out.

So I call member services again. The person I talk says she can't help me, but will have someone call me tomorrow to sort it out. On top of that, I check online, and my profile matches the information the credit card people say is wrong.

All this for what should have been a two minute call to say I'm going to Mexico. Even more bizarre, I notified them of my trip to London back in February with no issue. Also, I think using my home and work phone numbers is a pretty lousy verification system.

Re: This is ridiculous! (vent)

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I hate banks. And that's all I have to ccontribute here. Sorry you're dealing with this.
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_this-ridiculous-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ae3c4704-bb87-4b05-b0d6-012ec03cbabbPost:473c6721-888b-4958-a96a-ceda14106bb9">Re: This is ridiculous! (vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate banks.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Works for me. Usually I don't have trouble with mine. It's just so frustrating when I have no idea how to get them to believe that I am me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually get this problem a lot because no one in this world can spell (or even say) my name right the first 5 times. Is your IRL difficult? 

I'm with Elle. I hate banks. They only make life miserable by costing you money to save/use your money.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lame, your bank must have a stick in it's butt.  I am always remember old addresses/numbers wrong conveniently when I need it for the bank, and all I have to say is that I have new info, they put it down, and they do what I needed done.  Your bank needs to take a little lesson from my bank.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ugh, that's so frustrating!!

I hope it all gets worked out tomorrow! *hugs*
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry!  *hugs*  That is so odd and stupid!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully you get another customer service rep and everything goes smoothly the second time around. I had an issue with my bank recently (that i'm still dealing with-id theft is a b!tch, ya'll. Good thing I am broke!) and it's been a giant pain in the @ss. Several calls, several people who apologize for the last rep who didn't know what they were talking about, but assure me they do, only to not know anything. ANNOYING!

I'm actually thinking of switching to a community bank or credit union. Anyone have experience with them? They are supposed to be better with this kind of thing. I will give up having an ATM on every corner and that kind of convenience for an overall better banking experience. 
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Most of the time- I hate calling customer service.

However- the last time I called Wells Fargo when I lost my card at 11 PM- I was sure I was going to be talking to India- not the case....I was SHOCKED!

What bank do you have?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Leia, dear banks and credit card companies suck eggs.  Don't get me started on them.  If I could not blow through cash in my wallet I would never use plastic again.  Yeesh.  I do hope that it gets sorted out quickly and less painful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is redonkulous!! 

And holy cow, THREE DAYS?   How did that freaking happen?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy! I don't think my credit card has ever asked me for my phone numbers before as verification.
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Finally! I think you ladies gave me good vibes.

I called and got someone who was familiar with the issue and was able to update Visa's system to match the credit union's system.  She put the travel notice so that my credit and debit cards would work (I didn't even think about debit cards, but I read that the best way to get Pesos is to use an ATM).

Thanks for letting me vent!
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Banks suck- sorry you have to deal with this. Blech!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards