Not Engaged Yet
Options

When Is The Appropriate Time....

to ask about salary in a job interview? 

I'm finding a lot of jobs do not list the salary or the pay, and I figured I wouldn't care about it until I was interviewed, but when I get interviewed, I am too nervous to ask about salary. I always thought that asking about the pay or salary in the interview was really rude and money-grabby, like I wouldn't be interested in the job unless it paid well. But if it doesn't pay well, what was I doing there getting interviewed...It's a weird mindgame I play with myself. 

Anyway, I am being interviewed for a job on Friday and I am dying to know what it pays, but when is the proper time and how do I ask?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....

• Options
    It might vary by job type, but I don't think I've ever talked salary until an offer came. I think it's a legitimate question, but I'm not really sure the appropriate way to bring it  up.
  • Options
    I actually don't know...

Here's what I'm thinking though: I probably wouldn't ask in the first interview unless it seemed like you were almost guaranteed the job/it's the only interview. I'd probably wait until the second one when you know the company/position better and they know you better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    I never ask. I get too nervous and I don't know if its an appropriate question for a first interview or now. The only time I do bring it up is when they basically come right out and say I have the job in the interview, even then I feel awkward and try to ask subtly. I don't see why it would be a bad thing to ask, you want to know what you'll be paid (especially when they call to offer you the job and you still have no idea how much it offers) and they should understand that. 

PS I just read the blog in your sig, I don't even know you but I'm excited you're going to start planning for your wedding!
  • Options
    For me, after their done asking questions they'll usually say "Now do you have any questions for us?" And that's usually where I'd ask about the exact hours, what the starting salary is, and if there's a possibility of advancement in the future. I always get super nervous also but when I was preparing to interview with my current company my aunt helped me practice a lot and she said to always ask what the salary is so I just took her advice!

• Options
    People work to get a paycheck.  You know that.  The employer knows that.  I see nothing wrong with asking for a "starting salary range". 

I've asked this flat out from the get go because let's face it.......if you are only willing to take a job that pays above a certain amount, and the range is lower than that, why waste your time or theirs with an interview?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_when-is-the-appropriate-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b0a677d8-9c81-4a40-ad72-7393bf526f8fPost:5a33c5fe-b1f6-4e8a-aaee-5ca756538e60">Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me, after their done asking questions they'll usually say<strong> "Now do you have any questions for us?" </strong>And that's usually where I'd ask about the exact hours, what the starting salary is, and if there's a possibility of advancement in the future. I always get super nervous also but when I was preparing to interview with my current company my aunt helped me practice a lot and she said to always ask what the salary is so I just took her advice!
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've always thought this was the right time to ask, but then I panic and freeze and say, "No, not at this time!" And then I kick myself. 

</div>

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    Same as rdr. Usually my interviewers will ask what salary I'm looking for, or they'll tell me what the position pays, but that might be my industry. If they don't, I always take the time to inquire about it when they ask if I have any questions and/or near the end of the interview!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_when-is-the-appropriate-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b0a677d8-9c81-4a40-ad72-7393bf526f8fPost:3694adaf-080c-4a73-88ac-a6a8fdd97c96">Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....</a>:
    [QUOTE] PS I just read the blog in your sig, I don't even know you but I'm excited you're going to start planning for your wedding!
    Posted by QuiltingNurse[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks!! =) We're gonna at least try. 

</div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_when-is-the-appropriate-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b0a677d8-9c81-4a40-ad72-7393bf526f8fPost:b5d70222-36d9-49ad-a7a8-76f4181e5379">Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was under the impression that you should never ask about salary. You should wait until the interviewer brings it up. I don't know if that's correct or not though.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here. This is what I've heard from hiring managers and HR people (mostly those that spoke to my professional group in college) so I'll continue to agree that you don't talk salary at all unless it's mentioned or you get an offer. Once you have an offer you can negotiate if necessary.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

• Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012

Never.
    This is appropriate to ask during the offer.

ETA: During the questions section of an interview- Ask about what the next steps of the hiring process will be, when they hope to fill the position, if it is a new position, ect.

End the interview by letting them know once again that you are interested in the position.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_when-is-the-appropriate-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b0a677d8-9c81-4a40-ad72-7393bf526f8fPost:b5d70222-36d9-49ad-a7a8-76f4181e5379">Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was under the impression that you should never ask about salary. You should wait until the interviewer brings it up. I don't know if that's correct or not though.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>This. It's what I've always done, and what I've always heard as correct.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the advice you guys! Now I know the correct etiquette for this thing =) 

• Options
    I agree with all who said never, not during the interview process.  Once you have an offer, you talk salary.  Not only because it's what right according to interview ettiqutte, but also once you have an offer you know they want you and you are in a better position to negotiate with them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I've never asked during an interview. Once you get an offer, that should include the information regarding salary.
  • Options
    Well then I'm really glad I've always been too nervous to ask! :D

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_when-is-the-appropriate-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b0a677d8-9c81-4a40-ad72-7393bf526f8fPost:5854f359-183e-4364-aa41-503a5591b2ea">Re: When Is The Appropriate Time....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all who said never, not during the interview process.  Once you have an offer, you talk salary.  Not only because it's what right according to interview ettiqutte, but also once you have an offer you know they want you and you are in a better position to negotiate with them. 
    Posted by dwest2201[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    What PPs have said, plus I hear it's better to try to draw a number out of them first, or frame it more as a question, e.g., "Well, from what I understand about the position's requirements and my qualifications, I think that [insert your ideal salary here] is appropriate. Do you agree? How much were you planning to offer someone with my credentials in this position?" Or something (less wordy; I make that mistake a lot).
    Cheers, Cara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards