Not Engaged Yet

Gift Ideas

I need some suggestions please! I am having two showers, one thrown by FMIL- this one will be small at her house with about 12 people, and one thrown by my 5 aunts - this one will have about 35 guests at a restaurant. I don't know what to get them as a thank you gift for the showers. If I got each of my 5 aunts a $20 gift, I'm up to $100. I'm not trying to be cheap but I'm a little broke right now...am I being a jerk?

Also, what should I get our readers? Any good ideas? There will be 3 of them, 2 readings and the Prayer of the Faithful.

Sorry to post and run but I have my makeup trial. If you have any questions I'll be back as soon as that's over hopefully with some AW pics.

Thanks ladies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Gift Ideas

• edited December 2011
    This is definitely a situation where a personal touch will make your budget worth a lot more.

I don't know how crafty you are, or if this would be something they'd like, but for Christmas one year I made everyone earring holders.  You buy an inexpensive frame from Michaels Crafts or Target (I like the ones that stand up on their own by bending in half), take the back off, and staple screen netting across the opening (you can buy a huge roll at Home Depot for $5 or so - the stuff that you put on windows and doors to keep bugs out). 

I glued ribbon over the edges of the wire where it was staples so it looked prettier.  If it won't stand up on its own, you can hang it on a ribbon.  I  decorated the frame with stickers that they'd like - you can get really classy stickers with gems or paper flowers with a sticky bottom at Michaels.  They ended up looking gorgeous!  My friends asked if I had them custom made (since I put their names on them) and were thrilled.  I've seen them when visiting my friends, over 5 years since I gave them to them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    First of all I just want to say that I'm sure that none of the people who are throwing you showers expect any lavish gifts.  However, because these people are taking the time to do this and probably spending money as well (invites, postage, food if provided, etc) it is nice to get them a small gift as a token of your appreciation for what they have done.  I'd suggest something like a bottle of wine ($15-20 range) and a nice heartfelt hand written card.  If they aren't wine drinkers then maybe a little bag or box of spa-like goodies and a note about how they should take some time to themselves and relax after all the work they put into throwing you a shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DWest stole my ideas! lol

Cate's idea is nice too. I agree that something small but heartfelt is the way to go:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG!! KD you are really counting down now!

I will tell you what I got my hosts:

For my FMIL and FSIL, I bought them a bunch of citronella candles that looked like watermelon slices for their patio. For my mom's friends I got them each a set of those cutesy mom-ish decorative teaspoon measuring sets with stuff engraved on them. For my GFs that threw me a shower I took them out to dinner.

My mom has thrown quite a few showers, and when I asked her she said that she always enjoyed getting a nice Yankee candle or something.

PIP from your trial please. ; )
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to be in the same boat as you are - majorly strapped for cash by the time the wedding comes around (this unemployment things really sucks sometimes).  I haven't bought them yet (planning to get one for each of my BM's), but I've seen them at Party City, Michael's and Hallmark (and I'm sure they can be found other places) - they're purse hooks (you hook them on to the edge of a table to hang your purse in a restaurant and such).

I also thought about getting a nice/inexpensive frame for different people in the wedding party.

As for your ceremony readers - since it appears it is a religious ceremony, check out the nearest Christian book store (do you have a Family Christian Store near you?) the one by me has a bargain book section that I can spend hours in and the same store also has a section of gifts for usually $10 and under.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions girls! I agree that I should get them something and you gave me some great ideas.

My makeup trial went great here are some pictures:

Also, while I was taking pictures of myself, the doorbell rang and it was the UPS guy delivering a box of flowers. Bill goes, "they aren't from me." I was confused because I couldn't think of any reason someone would send me flowers. Here's the note:

Ok so it's backwards because that's how my computer takes pictures but it says: Congratulations on your wedding. We wish you many years of happiness. From Britney and the Zappos family.

Yeah, Zappos sent me flowers from my phone conversation I had while returning a pair of shoes. Seriously, best company ever.

Here are the flowers:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, seriously?!  That's amazing marketing for them, because now I definitely want to support a company that treats people like that!  Not only do they have no-hassle returns, but they send you freaking flowers?!  AMAZING!
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that is so awesome of them. I wonder if they have a monthly budget for "customer appreciation"? Like maybe they get a small amount to do nice things like that.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Umm...I'm totally switching my alliegance from DSW to Zappos! Holy moley! It's hard to see your makeup in those photos, but from what I can tell, you look great! :)

ETA: I agree with PPs -- you don't have to spend much to get something that fits each person. I think a potted plant might be nice if that suits any of them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Oooh!  Desert's comment about potted plants gave me an idea - what about giving them each an herb of some sort in a pot, wrapped with a ribbon?  Maybe rosemary or lavendar or something that's fragrant?
  • edited December 2011
    LOL...I think we're shower twins. My MIL is throwing me a smaller shower, and my cousins are throwing me a big shower in a martini bar/restaurant. Woot WOOT!

I would definitely consider potted flowers or herbs, or the spa items, or candles - it's the gift that keeps on giving.

For your readers, I think it would honestly depend on the people doing the readings. If it's a friend or someone near your age, a bottle of wine or a set of martini glasses and shaker would be cute and inexpensive. For an older family member, maybe a pretty candle or picture frame.

Then again, you could be awesome like ricky. She gave me a flask and booze. WIN!

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• edited December 2011
    I have no idea about gifts, but I do have to say your trial looks great! And Zappos? Best company ever.
  • edited December 2011
    I've ordered a few things from Zappos but I will use them much more often now!

I LOVE the potted plant/herb idea! Maybe a potted plant and a candle. Great ideas ladies!
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay Zappos for the record is freaking epic ! Thats so awesome. I think the ladies above nailed the gifts already so best of luck with it all and where did your time go..ahhh! So happy for you :)
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I'm not a big fan of ordering shoes online (I like to try them on)... but Zappos is looking better and better!

ETA:  Oh yeah, and the makeup looks really good from what I can see but the pics are kind of dark.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gift-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b3d5dc68-e295-4855-aa02-529aae2ed579Post:34f7c038-7ebf-455d-a2cf-ec0bd639b724">Re: Gift Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]DWest stole my ideas! lol Cate's idea is nice too. I agree that something small but heartfelt is the way to go:)
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

You better put your foil hat back on Missy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gift-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b3d5dc68-e295-4855-aa02-529aae2ed579Post:8fc6f86f-7a8e-49b6-8e72-a85691e075aa">Re: Gift Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift Ideas : You better put your foil hat back on Missy!
    Posted by dwest2201[/QUOTE]

<div>It's too hot...had to take it off.  Maybe I can make one with a fan inside it....</div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You look wonderful, I love how dramatic the make-up is, mostly b\c I feel like the rest of your outfit is much more romantic.

target has adorable cups on sale. But I got people some fun jewelry and individual note pads.

But as I've noticed while moving, I might like cups too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_gift-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b3d5dc68-e295-4855-aa02-529aae2ed579Post:ca1a06e6-8863-4d2a-979a-3c7235a3ec82">Re: Gift Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]You look wonderful, I love how dramatic the make-up is, mostly b\c I feel like the rest of your outfit is much more romantic. target has adorable cups on sale. But I got people some fun jewelry and individual note pads. But as I've noticed while moving, I might like cups too much.
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

Apparently you have a cup fetish or something! Thanks for the comments about the makeup. I know the pictures aren't great but my camera broke and the flash was washing me out on my computer. I went over to my parents' house to show them the makeup and my dad even liked it and he hates makeup.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards