Not Engaged Yet
Options

Cooking and Food Poll

I've been doing a lot cooking and baking this week for the first time in forever (which in unusual for me), and it made me wonder about everyones' routine.

1. Who cooks more, you or your SO?

2. How many days a week do you cook at home? Do you meal plan?

3. Do you prefer cooking or baking?

4. What is your favorite thing to cook or bake (bonus for recipes!)?

5. Did you and your SO grow up with similar meal time routines and recipes (ex. did you both get home cooked meals, or did one of you get take-out more, etc)?

6. If you cook/bake, who taught you how?

7. Have you ever introduced someone to a new food?

8. Have you ever started liking a food you previously disliked?

9. What is your favorite cookbook? Cooking website?

10. Do you have any food or cooking quirks or restrictions?

Re: Cooking and Food Poll

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely me. BF grills a lot in the summer. I think he could be a really good cook if he was so inclined-he's good with seasonings, and makes some awesome marinades when he grills. For now, though, I try to cook some meals for him to reheat during the nights I'm working or else he ends up eating crappy fast food.

It depends on when I'm working. If I work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (like this week), I usually plan a menu Sunday, go to the grocery store Monday and make a meal Monday and Tuesday that will leave us leftovers. Then Wednesday, I cook something simple like pasta for that night. If I work the beginning of the week it's harder because I don't have the days to cook.

That's a hard one. I started off baking in elementary school, so I would say I'm probably a little more adventurous with that, but I think I'm a pretty good basic cook. I don't do anything gourmet or anything, though.

I love making my Macaroni and Cheese, because it's so delicious and BF LOVES it. I think I've posted the recipe before (maybe in my intro post?). As far as baking, I'm really into cupcakes. The best one's I've ever made are probably Bananas Foster Cupcakes.

5. Did you and your SO grow up with similar meal time routines and recipes (ex. did you both get home cooked meals, or did one of you get take-out more, etc)?
    His Mom made a lot more pre-packaged stuff like Hamburger Helper as well as homemade Campbell's Soup based casserole kind of stuff. My Mom was a lot more likely to throw some chicken breasts or pork chops in the oven with her own idea of seasonings. Three was also a much bigger emphasis on nutrition in my household when I was a kid.

Mostly my Mom, some recipes from my Grandma. Also, the woman I nannied for in college was an amazing cook, and lots of time had stuff in the slow cooker, or ready for me to put in the oven, and I have a lot of her recipes as well.

I've introduced BF to TONS. He thought he hated Feta cheese until I snuck it into a quiche, and he was like "what's this delicious salty stuff in here", haha.

I used to hate tomatoes, and I like them now. I still don't like most fish, but I'll eat some "less fishy" kinds.

I have a Better Homes and Garden cookbook that I love. It's a great source for basic, classic recipes. I love foodgawker.com and cookinglight.com, as well as allrecipes.com

I'm allergic to walnuts, which used to just make my mouth break out, but now give me hives also. I mostly cook with ground turkey whenever a recipe calls for ground beef. I HATE raw chicken. I usually make BF put it in the casserole dish for me so I don't have to touch it.
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I definitely do. He's a good cook, but just doesn't have a lot of time. 

I meal plan if you count thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner as I walk out the door to go to work. I usually cook at home 3-4 days a week? Not enough...

Lately, cooking. Mainly bc all I know how to bake is cake from a box.

I recently discovered how to make grilled chicken sandwiches that taste like they're from my fave restaurant! 

Similar cooking/eating at home routine, but way different recipes. His dad is Mexican, so his mom learned how to make a lot of mexican dishes. BF is really good at them now. Yum.

My BFF came over for my house warming and felt sorry for me, so she taught me a few ways to cook chicken. I've been researching and experimenting since. 

Eh, not really. My ex was a pothead and a foodie, so I tried a lot of different food when I was with him.

Asparagus. 

I like what you girls post here. Does that count as a cooking website?

I use about a million different utensils when I cook. It turns my tiny kitchen into a mess.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I do but FI cooks fairly often too.

I try to cook at least 2-3 times a week.  Doesn’t always happen though.  Not really, hopefully though that will change when we are living together.

I actually really like both

My awesome chocolate chip cookies recipe (it’s a family secret)

I think we had similar routines maybe with me going out more often then him.

My mom and grandma taught me some, the rest I taught myself.

Yes.  But I don’t think I made it.

Yep and I have gone the opposite way too, I hate bananas now.

I love my moms cook books!  I like allrecipes.com

I like really simple foods so its really hard for me to try out new recipes.  :/

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    . Who cooks more, you or your SO?
    me definitely

monday thru friday night

cooking mostly to me baking entails cookies and cakes and deserts

tomato, spinach and bean burrito and the veggie sausage, potato and apple recipe.  recipes are in my blog below

5. Did you and your SO grow up with similar meal time routines and recipes (ex. did you both get home cooked meals, or did one of you get take-out more, etc)? I believe so

I mostly learned myself

bf to quinoa

not really more so the reverse, especially w/ meat

i like allrecipes.com and foodgawker

no meat or meat based food or seafood

Anniversary

• Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm the only one that cooks and we prefer it that way lol.

Now we try to cook at home 5 to 7 days a week. I do meal plan and even cook ahead of time and freeze it for the follow weeks.

No preference actually , I love both!

BBQ Turkey Meatloaf - recipie here :http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/11/bbq-turkey-meatloaf.html

And Homemade Beef Stew - No recipie for that one , its a family tradition :)

We both had home cooked meals. While his grandmother brought him up for the most part while both his parents worked full time , my mom was the stay at home mother who cooked. Overall things were quite similar.

My mom - and later in life the internet :). I just always watched her and asked her tons of questions. I read food blogs non stop and watch youtube videos and cooking shows.

My husband , lol. He ate zero veggies when we met..i'm making progress slowly. Hwe now eats mushrooms and zuchinni.

Definitely. I used to despise spinach , now I can't get enough!

The Biggest Loser cookboks are my must haves. Sparkpeople.com has lots of yummy recipies too.

Not that I am aware of..
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

About a tie lately.  I used to cook way more.  Morning sickness does me in some days, and DH picks up the slack. 

On average, I would say about 6 nights a week.  
    In an overall way, yes.  In a specific way, no.

I love both.  I think that I am more known for baking though.

Depends on the season. 
    DH loves my meatloaf but I never follow a recipe. 
    I've posted my favorite sweet potato and pork stew recipe before.

I love to bake cakes. 

Yes and no.  I think that my family had more home cooked meals.  MIL tried, but apparently DH and his step-dad went out for Chinese a lot when her crockpot meals failed.  To this day, she doesn't know how often her meals sucked... and she is a fabulous cook now.

I learned from my mom in some respects.  I learned a lot from trial and error.  I am not afraid to change a recipe I find, or just cook based on what we have on hand. 

Don't really know.  Haha.  I don't think DH had much balsamic vinegar before I came into his life.  Now, he uses it as a condiment.

No.

Don't have one.  LOL.  Baking is Bakerella though.  I also like Pioneer Woman.

Not really.  I used to not eat a lot of red meat.  I eat more now because DH is a major meat eater. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I cook; H does dishes. Mostly.

Probably only three days a week. I dance twice a week, so I don't get home until late, and we usually go out Friday and Saturday.

Baking. Yum.

Cake or cookies.

I'm not really sure what H had growing up. My mom made dinner and we all ate it. When I got older, I started making my own food.

My mom and Betty Crocker. I love the big red cookbook.

Sure. H didn't eat Indian food much before me.

I would never touch refried beans as a kid. Also broccoli is okay now.

Betty Crocker. The original red super-simple cookbook.

I don't eat land animals, so I won't cook or touch them, either. H is allergic to shellfish.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Me!!

I cook about 5-6 days a week and yes, I meal plan! It's so much easier to go food shopping and for me to figure out what to do when I come home. I don't have to stand in the middle of the kitchen and panic about what I'm going to make for dinner.

Cooking. I share my father's view on baking: when you cook, you have all the control. You can touch it, taste it, smell it, make adjustments when you don't think it's right. When you bake, all you can do is put it in the oven and pray.

Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce <--- clicky for recipe!!

Pretty much. My dad was a chef, and my mom was a chef until she changed careers, so there was almost always homecooked food at home. FI's mom was always home to cook dinner too.

My parents, but a lot of it I learned on my own once I moved out.

Yes! My best friend had never tried tzatziki (cucumber sauce) until she came over on Greek Night and my mom had made gyros. We made her try it and now she loves it!

Yes, avocados. I used to haaaaaate them but now I could eat a whole one by myself.

My favorite cookbook is "Desperation Dinners" by Alicia Ross and Beverly Mills, and the Crock Pot Recipe Collection. My favorite websites are bettycrocker.com and allrecipes.com

No goddamn mushrooms. I f*cking hate them. I will take them out of every recipe they appear in and kill them with fire. I also do not like cooked fruit, and I especially dislike cooked fruit in my dinner entrees.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I definitely cook more.  FI only "cooks" when I'm not home.  And by cooks, I mean, makes a tuna sandwich.

I cook probably 5 days a week.  And, yes, I do meal plan.

I prefer cooking.  I'm not so good at the banking thing.

I looooove to cook my eggplant parmesan.  But, I don't have a recipe written down for it.  Sorry.

We did both grow up with home cooked meals.

My college roommate and another great friend from college.  I've also taught myself quite a bit.

Absolutely!  I introduced FI to sushi and a good friend to kale.  I'm sure there's more that I can't think of before.

Oh yes.  Brussels sprouts!

I love Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cookingwhen I want a challenge.  I use www.epicurious.com for 99% of my recipes.  I freakin' LOVE that website!

My cooking quirk is that I don't feel right cooking without a glass of red wine on the counter.  That is pretty much it!
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards