Not Engaged Yet

Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)

So, many of you know that my dad has been battling stage 4 terminal lung cancer for three years now. 

The chemo stopped working around May last year and my dad decided to not undergo any more treatment. In December, he found out FI (then BF) was going to propose soon and he changed his mind. Because the chemo was useless, his only treatment option was an oral medication that the insurance company had denied him for two and a half years. I posted back in January that the insurance company finally approved it. 

He's been taking Tarceva since January (had to go off for six weeks in February bc of a bad reaction) and had his 3 month scan four weeks ago. I called and got the results from him today:

- the main tumor on his left lung has shrunk 50% in 3 months
- the liver spots are non cancerous
- the spots on his bones have not grown or developed
- the medicine is not allowing the cancer to take hold and grow in any new parts
- there is activity around his heart, but they don't know whether or not it's the cancer

He's going to continue the medication and the doctors have no idea what to expect since it's a new medication (only 4 yrs old). All of his doctors and nurses have been telling him he's lucky and miraculous. He hasn't looked or sounded this good in more than 3 years. He's so happy and he finally feels like he can live his life again. 

Looks like my dad will get to walk me down the aisle AND dance with me!! When we got engaged in February, his mere presence at the wedding was in question.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)

• Oh my god Aud, that is FANTASTIC! I'm ecstatic for you! Your post brought happy tears to my eyes :)

• The best news I've heard in such a long time. I'm so excited for your dad and you and your whole family, Aud. This is really fantastic :)

• Audre! That is wonderful news! I am so happy for you and your family. I seriously have tears in my eyes right now. I can only imagine how it must feel to get this information for the both of you!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aud that is awesome news! So happy for you, your dad and your family. I cannot imagine having my wedding someday without my dad there.

• This is absolutely fantastic news!  I am so happy for your family!

My dad has been on medication (not chemo) for his stage IV cancer for 10 years with no further spreading.  The doctors originally only gave him 5 years. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That the BEST news I have heard in so long!  Wow how awesome Aud!
  • Drew, I'm so freakin' ecstatic about this. I am so happy for you and your family!!!
  • Wow Drew I am so excited for you!   This is such great news, I am beyond happy for you and your family

Anniversary

• Yay for erlotinib :D!!

• <3! no words.
  • Wahooo! So great to hear : Big hugs for your family. Im really happy things are looking up 3
  • Sooooo happy.
  • Miracles do happen. This is wonderful news. I'm so happy that you will have your father for your special day.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Great to hear! 

I'm happy for you all. I hope he continues to improve.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That's great news!!! :D Hope he just keeps getting better!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you so much ladies for your vibes, prayers, and thoughts and now, your happiness. I'm so glad I have friends like you that I can share this news with. My parents have known the scan results for a couple of weeks, but they both thought the other had told me. It's such a huge relief to relax in the fact that he's healthy and will stay that way for more than a month. 

Now I get to cope with changing my mindset from "how to manage my dad passing a month before my wedding" to "what will our father/daughter dance be and can we get him lessons bc he sure as hell can't dance!" 

And if the treatment keeps going well, he may get to see grandbabies. That thought truly makes me cry. Confession: every time FIL's talk about grandbabies, it makes me really really sad that my dad won't be around, but now, who knows what is possible. 

Guys, this is unbelieveable. 

Still, thank you for the work you do and the care you give your patients. 

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • :) That is seriously amazing news. Yay!
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • That's awesome!!!  I'm so happy for you and for him and for your entire family!! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_good-news-read-this-post-youll-enjoy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c419ba4f-cd33-4d18-b42b-8c71eda007c9Post:f38a4039-ccba-4d44-b8b4-34bb7791981f">Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Still, thank you for the work you do and the care you give your patients. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]
    I can't begin to explain how happy cancer success stories make me. I mean, it's wonderful to see success here in our clinic, but it's always kind of bittersweet because while it's available to our patients, it's not available to the general populace. When we get past phase I and it makes it to the market, however, it's one of the greatest things ever. I think about all of the bother we go through to submit enough information to the sponsor so they can in turn convince the FDA of the efficacy of their drug and suddenly it's worth it. Our work gives people more birthdays, they're able to see the marriages of their children, they get to hold their first grandbabies... sometimes, they even go cancer-free (though we never take them off their meds because we treat cancer as a chronic disease).

I'm so happy to see this. So, so happy. I'm in such a great mood today because of this success :D!

• I'm so happy to hear that Andrew! I will squee appropriately in private. 3
  • That is SO awesome, Aud. I'll keep him in my prayers that things keep moving in the right direction.
  • what a wonderful gift for your family!
  • edited August 2012
    Wow!! That is truly amazing and so wonderful to hear! :-D Continuing to keep you and your family in my prayers!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• I'm so happy for you...my dad has lung cancer too (small cell, extensively spread) and I know exactly the feeling you describe of "how to manage my dad passing a month before my wedding". 

I am so very glad the medicine is working...lots of positive thoughts coming your way that he continues to improve.  It is such a blessing to have this time with him.

• Aud that is the best news evar!!!  I'm so happy for you and your family that your daddy gets to walk his girl down the isle and hopefully meet his grandkids.  How exciting to be able to now pick out your song and teach him to at least sway gracefully HAHA!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love miracles.  :)  I am so happy, I teared up.  That is such a blessing.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_good-news-read-this-post-youll-enjoy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c419ba4f-cd33-4d18-b42b-8c71eda007c9Post:9d20c6b1-f6fb-4dfc-b6af-11448aa0fb48">Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy) : I can't begin to explain how happy cancer success stories make me. I mean, it's wonderful to see success here in our clinic, but it's always kind of bittersweet because while it's available to our patients, it's not available to the general populace. <strong>When we get past phase I and it makes it to the market, however, it's one of the greatest things ever. I think about all of the bother we go through to submit enough information to the sponsor so they can in turn convince the FDA of the efficacy of their drug and suddenly it's worth it. Our work gives people more birthdays, they're able to see the marriages of their children, they get to hold their first grandbabies... </strong>sometimes, they even go cancer-free (though we never take them off their meds because we treat cancer as a chronic disease). I'm so happy to see this. So, so happy. I'm in such a great mood today because of this success :D!
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I know that if he hadn't started this treatment, he wouldn't be pain free enough to walk today. But because of the work you and others like you did 6, 7, 8 years ago to get Tarceva on the market, he's here and loving life. The doctor's won't tell him what he can expect over the next few months even because it is such a new drug, but we're hoping for the best and my dad's outlook on the whole thing has completely changed. And, as we all know, when it comes to cancer, sometimes it really is mind over matter. 

</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_good-news-read-this-post-youll-enjoy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c419ba4f-cd33-4d18-b42b-8c71eda007c9Post:3e31848b-188f-4f60-bbe2-3a823f621b9f">Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so happy for you...my dad has lung cancer too (small cell, extensively spread) and I know exactly the feeling you describe of "how to manage my dad passing a month before my wedding".  I am so very glad the medicine is working...lots of positive thoughts coming your way that he continues to improve.  It is such a blessing to have this time with him.
    Posted by minskat30[/QUOTE]

<div>If you ever need to talk, I'm always available. :) I know exactly what you're going through. I've been riding the same roller coaster for 3 years. Sometimes I feel sooo alone and just want to talk to someone else who is in the same situation as me because they'll be able to empathize. So, I'm here if you need me. </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_good-news-read-this-post-youll-enjoy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c419ba4f-cd33-4d18-b42b-8c71eda007c9Post:b7f07d4f-43d3-4500-bec6-90ebeb685e0d">Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aud that is the best news evar!!!  I'm so happy for you and your family that your daddy gets to walk his girl down the isle and hopefully meet his grandkids.  How exciting to be able to now pick out your song and<strong> teach him to at least sway gracefully </strong>HAHA!
    Posted by doubleSS07[/QUOTE]

<div>This made me giggle. A lot. Hahaha! My dad is so gifted, musically and rythmically, but the poor guy cannot dance his way out of a bucket. </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_good-news-read-this-post-youll-enjoy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c419ba4f-cd33-4d18-b42b-8c71eda007c9Post:204908cd-bc5a-4dc1-8b9c-3696627835a8">Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good news!! (Read this post, you'll enjoy) : If you ever need to talk, I'm always available. :) I know exactly what you're going through. I've been riding the same roller coaster for 3 years. Sometimes I feel sooo alone and just want to talk to someone else who is in the same situation as me because they'll be able to empathize. So, I'm here if you need me. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that means a lot to me.  It can be a lonely journey.  I may take you up on that offer...my family is close but they expect me to be the "glue" that holds it all together.  We have a family trip planned next month- my dad implied it was a "last request" type of trip and I nearly broke down trying to plan everything. 

FI's family is visiting this month in fact because they want to make sure they can meet him while he is still "with it".  Life is so funny- you get engaged and are on cloud 9 at the same time as you experience tremendous heartbreak.  Rollercoaster is an apt description.

Again, though, I'm so happy for you and your family for this miracle.  Cherish the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards