Not Engaged Yet
Options

its like a real like SLAP BET

My BF and I have been together for almost 2 years. We moved in together last September, have 2 great dogs. We started talking about babies and houses a few months ago... and then eventually starting talking about weddings (mainly because I make him watch David Tuttera with me every Sunday.. and he does! Such a trooper!). So I finally a cracked.. I told him how frustrated I was because he holds ALL the power! He just laughed and pretended he didn't know what I was talking about until he made me say it! He told me to calm myself down.. that he had a plan (I should mention a month or so earlier I told him that proposing is his job, and that I don't want to "pick out" my own ring... I like the surprise!). So I was SHOCKED when he said he had a plan. I really had no idea he had already started thinking about it! I mean I knew he loved me.. and I knew he wanted to marry me ONE day.. but I just didn't know his timeline (which was the frustrating part.... I'm not a patient person). So later that night we were talking about rings and he started spurting out knowledge about diamonds that I was unaware of! He even told me that because my finger is so small (4.25), any ring he picks out with side stones will have to be custom ordered and take anywhere from 4-6 weeks! So the next day we were at the mall and he made me start trying on rings! It may have been the most fun I have ever had shopping. We both thought we found the one. We went back and looked at it a few times. One day we went to another store, and found a ring that blew it out of the water!!! So the jeweler and him started chatting.. that's usually when I walk away.. I still want to be surprised! So they talked, signatures were obtained, diamond numbers given out all that jazz.. I totally think he bought the ring.. well he told me later that night that they were going to reset the ring we liked with a different setting to see if we like it.. (lies.. .. I overheard way more than that!). I obviously let him have this.. and its wasn't a complete lie. They did resent it AND LET HIM BRING IT HOME TO SHOW ME!... He did not realize bringing home a ring I could not keep was not cool... but he took it back. Its been almost a month and we have not looked at another ring! I am getting soooooo anxious! Its like I know its coming, but I don't know when, and I don't know how... but its coming.. and its killing me! Did I mention I am not a patient person. But Jon loves to surprise me, and I would never want to ruin whatever he has in store.. so I sit and suffer silently Smile

Re: its like a real like SLAP BET

• Options
    Would someone like to summarize that for me? I cannot handle reading the wall of text today.

• Options
    Paragraphs are your friend. :) 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:2b843ee3-c59d-4b39-92f3-438c3624fb6d">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would someone like to summarize that for me? I cannot handle reading the wall of text today.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]
    HE HAS THE RING ZOMG!!!

Lots of extraneous stuff about diamonds, settings, and her tiny ring size.

The end.
  • Options
    Also, this is nothing like a slap bet.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    OP - I know it's an exciting time, but you need to try to not think about it too much.  There are many ladies on this board whose SO's had the ring for MONTHS before proposing, so even if he has a ring, a proposal may not be in your immediate future.  Just enjoy the time you have now because if you obsess over when you'll be getting engaged, you'll miss out on a lot of good time that you'll never get back.  And whatever you do, don't start pre-planning anything, it will make you go crazy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:e291e4d5-0d0f-4d50-bd6b-c408ab25f3fb">its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BF and I have been together for almost 2 years. We moved in together last September, have 2 great dogs. We started talking about babies and houses a few months ago... and then eventually starting talking about weddings (mainly becasue I make him watch David Tuttera with me every Sunday.. and he does! Such a trooper!). So finally a cracked.. I told him how frusterated I was because he holds ALL the power! He jst laughed and pretended he didnt know what I was talking about until he made me say it! He told me to calm myself down.. that he had a plan (I should mention a month or so earlier I told him that proposing is his job, and that I dont want to "pick out" my own ring... I like the suprise!). So I was SHOCKED when he said he had a plan. I really had no idea he had already started thinking about it! I mean I knew he loved me.. and I knew he wanted to marry me ONE day.. but I just didnt know his timeline (which was the frusterating part.... I'm not a patient person). So later that night we were talking about rings and he started spurting out knowledge about diamonds that I was unaware of! He even told me that because my finger is so small (4.25), any ring he picks out with side stones will have to be custom ordered and take anywhere from 4-6 weeks! So the next day we were at the mall and he made me start trying on rings! It may have been the most fun I have ever had shopping. We both thought we found the one. We went back and looked at it a few times. One day we went to another store, and found a ring that blew it out of the water!!! So the jeweler and him started chatting.. that's usually when I walk away.. I still want to be surprised! So they talked, signatures were obtained, diamond numbers given out all that jazz.. I totally think he bought the ring.. well he told me later that night that they were going to reset the ring we liked with a different setting to see if we like it.. (lies.. .. I overheard way more than that!). I obviously let him have this.. and its wasn't a complete lie. They did resent it AND LET HIM BRING IT HOME TO SHOW ME!... He did not realize bringing home a ring I could not keep was not cool... but he took it back. Its been almost a month and we have not looked at another ring! I am getting soooooo anxious! Its like I know its coming, but I don't know when, and I don't know how... but its coming.. and its killing me! Did I mention I am not a patient person. But Jon loves to surprise me, and I would never want to ruin whatever he has in store.. so I sit and suffer silently
    Posted by abwatts[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>JIC</div><div>
    </div><div>Is there anxiety? Yes. That's about the only parallel I can pull between your situation and a slap bet. </div><div>
    </div><div>Now, take a deep breath and chill. 
    </div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:8914aec8-02dc-4c5a-972c-46e35cb0c01f">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: its like a real like SLAP BET : HE HAS THE RING ZOMG!!! Lots of extraneous stuff about diamonds, settings, and her tiny ring size. The end.
    Posted by eirwyn[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>You forgot to add that this is really hard for her cause like OMG it's killing her.</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:3a6c2fbe-d43a-463c-af28-a5cbb34130bb">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: its like a real like SLAP BET : You forgot to add that this is really hard for her cause like OMG it's killing her.
    Posted by prbright[/QUOTE]
    Which makes her unique to all the other ladies on this board who are also waiting.
  • Options
    Don't worry, OP.  Lots of posters have trouble finding the spellcheck button at first.  I'm here to help.

• Options

I had to google slap bet - lame

• Options
    Elle, I want to *like* your post.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:89db4654-fb14-4d4c-b635-b78e45d8102b">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle, I want to *like* your post.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

<div>This :)</div>
  • Options
    I was disappointed that there were no How I Met Your Mother references in this post, considering the title subject of slap bets...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:997ffb4e-680c-465d-82f3-e3b54c3c12ae">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, this is nothing like a slap bet.
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]

I don't know...it sure makes me want to slap someone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:2b843ee3-c59d-4b39-92f3-438c3624fb6d">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would someone like to summarize that for me? I cannot handle reading the wall of text today.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]
    She has been dating for 2 years and impatient on when he will ask her, although she has pushed the subject along every which way possible, it doesnt seem like it will be a surprise at all like she thinks she wants. Plain and simple, she needs to stop fretting about and enjoying life day to day until he does surprise her I say!
  • Options
    I don't get it. You guys went ring shopping together, picked out a ring at two different places, heard the jeweler talk numbers and get signatures, you know about custom ordering because of your ridiculously small fingers, HE BROUGHT A RING HOME - so what's the surprise? You already know everything. Also, you can't be a lurker for like 10 months or whatever and then just pop in one day with ZOMG he totally has a ring and blah blah blah. Nobody even knows who you are.
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    OMG WHAT IS GOING ON????
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:e291e4d5-0d0f-4d50-bd6b-c408ab25f3fb">its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its been almost a month and we have not looked at another ring! I am getting soooooo anxious! Its like I know its coming, but I don't know when, and I don't know how... but its coming.. and its killing me!
    Posted by abwatts[/QUOTE]
    We just hit the year anniversary of my boyfriend having the ring in his possession, and we are not engaged yet. I think you need to chill yo sh*t.

• Options
    Hangover + wall of text = Grrrrr.

OP.  Cool it.  Really, that's all I've got for you.

Also, ZOMG GIVE ME A RING NAOOOOO only ends badly.
    I french with my man
  • Options

Are you fvcking kidding me with this BS?

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    ok I get this is a close community but some responses were kind of rude. 

so OP to add in my 5 cents

just because he has a ring doesn't mean he is going to propose anytime soon. Like PP said some ladies on here have SO who have had their E-rings for a while and are still NEY. Also you need to take a bbreath, if you keep thinking about when/how he is goind to propose you might go crazy. Trust me I know, and me and FI had a huge fight about it. 

Our whole situation ended with us getting engaged and I won't have a ring for another year or two. So try to find a hobby, plan a trip, join a gym, anything to keep your mind from driving crazy over a proposal. 

H2H

• Options
     Wow, I am shocked at all the rude comments. I thought this was a place where people could share there experiences, and this is mine. Nobody know what kind of journey it took to get to this point, and that doesnt make my anxiety/excitement any less valid than anyone elses.

I call this my 'Slap Bet" because I know its comming, it just dont know when.. and thats drives me  nuts for all those HIMYM people who I didnt appease. I read through these blogs all the time, and have never picked apart someones grammer, or subject line, or experiences like I feel I have been picked apart here.

Thanks guys..
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:e6eab4c3-f59b-4336-aaa3-840d75c9cb81">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP - I know it's an exciting time, but you need to try to not think about it too much.  There are many ladies on this board whose SO's had the ring for MONTHS before proposing, so even if he has a ring, a proposal may not be in your immediate future.  Just enjoy the time you have now because if you obsess over when you'll be getting engaged, you'll miss out on a lot of good time that you'll never get back.  And whatever you do, don't start pre-planning anything, it will make you go crazy.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the supporting words!! I am trying to remain calm, but thats a hard thing for me to do!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:63483928-5980-427c-b3e4-b8074612af6c">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE] Wow, I am shocked at all the rude comments. I thought this was a place where people could share there experiences, and this is mine. Nobody know what kind of journey it took to get to this point, and that doesnt make my anxiety/excitement any less valid than anyone elses. I call this my 'Slap Bet" because I know its comming, it just dont know when.. and thats drives me  nuts for all those HIMYM people who I didnt appease. I read through these blogs all the time, and have never picked apart someones grammer, or subject line, or experiences like I feel I have been picked apart here. Thanks guys..
    Posted by abwatts[/QUOTE]

It is, but not until you let people get to know you.

The way it sounds and no I didn't read the whole thing because it is all clumped together, you need to sit back and wait and try to forget about whatever is going on. My FI had the ring for 6 months before I got it. He came and told me the DAY he bought it, but I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, that is hard.

Try introducing yourself and post in other people's posts for a bit and let us get to know you before you SLAP something on strangers like you did.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_its-like-a-real-like-slap-bet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ccdb9383-b8a2-4533-a8e8-74e7d430c649Post:1c9c2971-dc50-48fb-a638-9c828859ec99">Re: its like a real like SLAP BET</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: its like a real like SLAP BET : It is, but not until you let people get to know you. The way it sounds and no I didn't read the whole thing because it is all clumped together, you need to sit back and wait and try to forget about whatever is going on. My FI had the ring for 6 months before I got it. He came and told me the DAY he bought it, but I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, that is hard. Try introducing yourself and post in other people's posts for a bit and let us get to know you before you SLAP something on strangers like you did.
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness! How did you deal for 6 whole months? I am a very impatient person.. and as my bf always reminds me the world does not run on "Ashley Time" as I tend to move quickly.. while my BF is very layed back and relaxed.. which I love about him.....but still.. patience is a virture I am REALLLLLY working on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards