Not Engaged Yet
Options

American Turkey Day questions!

I know we've had a lot of Thanksgiving questions in the past couple of weeks (favorite side, where are you going, etc), so I'll try to make these fresh and new :)

1) Do you have any Turkey Day movies that you watch over the break?

2) Do you ever have T-Day Round 2?

3) Which relative/friend are you most excited to see around T-Day?

4) Which relative/friend are you least excited to see?

5) Do you have any traditions around this holiday?

6) Which is your favorite - the sit-down dinner itself, the reheated plate of leftovers, or the all-in-one sandwich?

7) Did you have any traditions when you were younger that you now miss?

8) Are you shopping on Black Friday?

9) What traditions have you heard of that you wish you did or want to start?

10) What sides do you not normally have for T-Day dinner that you would like to have?

Re: American Turkey Day questions!

• Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yes, my mom and sister and I watch Home for the Holidays EVERY year - sometimes more than once. It is one of our all-time favorite movies. Also, a few years ago we started watching Pieces of April, which is a little sad but a nice story.

Mostly, we watch a lot of Christmas movies during this break when we see each other. High on that list are:

Fred Claus
    The Family Stone
    Prancer
    Jingle All The Way
    Christmas Vacation
    Home Alone
    A Christmas Story
    Elf
    White Christmas
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    Christmas in Connecticut
    and many more...

Yes, we have Round 2 at my mom's house almost every year - even the years when she hosts the actual Thanksgiving dinner. This year we have to go to my grandmother's, so we already have plans to do Round 2 on Friday. The boys have to work until 4ish, so the girls are going to hang out and cook all day beforehand - replete with jammies, wine, and that list of Christmas movies above :)

I'm most excited to see my aunt Sandy, my cousin Eric and his GF Emmy. They are so much fun and I only see Eric and Emmy a few times a year.

Well since my uptight, bigoted uncle won't be there, I guess my recently late aunt's kids. I love them, but I'm not close to them at all and they lost their mom last month, so I have no idea how to act around them. Obviously it is out of awkwardness, rather than dislike, that I don't look forward to seeing them.

Currently the only tradition we have, is that BF and I go pick out a Christmas tree at the tree farm around the corner from his parents the weekend after T-Day. It's so much fun, and I always buy a few ornaments from the little shop as well. My sister and FBIL usually come too.

6) Which is your favorite - the sit-down dinner itself, the reheated plate of leftovers, or the all-in-one sandwich?
    Reheated leftovers and sandwich are tied. Those meals are more about escaping off with your favorites and lounging by the fire/TV than the button-down proper dinner.

When I was little, the Friday after T-Day my mom and sister and I would always make Christmas chains to count down to Christmas. It is a chain of linked paper strips (usually red and green), with a fun cut-out at the top for Christmas day (a bell, star, snowman, Santa hat, etc). Every night before we went to bed we would take off another link. My mom started it because she wanted us to have a way to count to Christmas, but couldn't afford an Advent calendar at the time. I think this way is so much better, and I intend to do it with my kids. Last year, when my sister and FBIL lived with us, the four of us made chains and hung them in the living room :)

Probably not. I always want to do it in theory, but actually going is another story altogether.

My BFF always went to Midnight Madness at the Wrentham Outlets (an outlet mall with such outlets as Coach, Bloomingdale's, 7 for all Mankind, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc), the night of Thanksgiving with her mom and sister, and that's something I want to try with her sometime. I'm not sure I have the stamina this year, but hopefully next year :)

Also, I've never gone out the night before Thanksgiving. Not once. I always had to help my mom get ready for hosting the big dinner the next day, and was too tired to go anywhere after that. Plus I never wanted to be hungover on Thanksgiving. Now that I can go this year, I don't really want to, but my sister and I may grab a drink at the bar down the street from my house, just to say we did it!

10) What sides do you not normally have for T-Day dinner that you would like to have?
    We have a sweet potato side every year, but it's not the fancy one with marshmallows and all. I would love to try that. Also, we've never done a green bean casserole and I want to try that too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving! Tell me one person who doesn't love Charlie Brown!

2) Do you ever have T-Day Round 2? Yep, this year Round 1 is today and Round 2 is tomorrow.

3) Which relative/friend are you most excited to see around T-Day? My mom's friend Linda... she has had a rough couple of years, but I've known her since middle school when they worked together. I can't wait to give her a hug.

4) Which relative/friend are you least excited to see? My mom and dad when they bring up Christmas plans...

5) Do you have any traditions around this holiday? Shop on Friday morning, play and or watch footbal friday afternoon.

6) Which is your favorite - the sit-down dinner itself, the reheated plate of leftovers, or the all-in-one sandwich? The reheated leftovers for the next week!

7) Did you have any traditions when you were younger that you now miss? Yes, helping my Dad make the stuffing (it's a 24 hour recipe that was Grandma's secret)

8) Are you shopping on Black Friday? Yep! Shop at 4am, work from 7-4, shop at 4pm!

9) What traditions have you heard of that you wish you did or want to start? Next year I want to host Thanksgiving at our house for my family.

10) What sides do you not normally have for T-Day dinner that you would like to have?  Vichysoisse soup
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Hmm I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head!

Well sort of. After dinner tomorrow we'll make leftover pies. We each bring our own pie crust & then take all the leftovers from dinner & put them in the pie crust (I prefer turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce, & lots of gravy), put the top of the pie on, & take them home.  Then the next day or that weekend you heat it up and it's delicious!! 

I'm looking forward to seeing my whole family. This holiday is going to be hard on us (first holiday with out my grandpop plus my uncle & my cousin are both in rehab).  

None, I seriously love them all & we have a really great time when we all get together. 

We always play poker after dinner, the whole family.  Sometimes we'll have to make it 2 tables & then as people get knocked out we consolidate into 1.  We usually play for about $10 so it's a pretty hefty jackpot. I'm not sure if we'll play this year though, it was kind of my grandpop's thing. 

The sit-down dinner itself!! 

I don't think so, we pretty much do everything now that we've always done. 

Hell no. Well maybe online but definitely not in person. 

Well the leftover pie thing is new, we just started doing that last year & it was a big hit so we're continuing it. 

My mom makes pineapple bread stuffing and it's SOOOOOO good but she won't make it for T-Day because it's "not a Thanksgiving dish". Hmph.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Trains, Planes & Automobiles. It's a classic in our family!

Of course! We eat around 2:00 and then everyone goes around again for "dinner". How can you not have round 2?

My Aunt Jan and her family are going to be in town, so i'm excited to see all of them on Friday!

We're spending T-day with BF's brother & his wife. She invited all of the family from both sides...so i'm not stoked about her side. We just spent a whole weekend with them for the wedding and they're not really "family" to me.

We always get up and make cinnamon rolls before the turkey goes in. Since we're traveling this year, we'll to our own t-day at home Saturday...so we'll have the rolls then!

The original dinner. It's all amazing, but the first bite of everything is the most anticipated!

I always got up early with my mom and got everything started. I miss that time with just her and I. I also always made the pecan pie with my grandma. This is the first year since she passed...so I'm getting a little choked up about thinking of doing it on my own this year.

No way Jose!

My uncle always gives funny cards for every holiday. Everyone gets one and it's his thing. I think it would be fun to do this with our own family when we start one someday.

I like to stick with the classics. We have a lot of family recipes and I don't like to mess too much with tradition.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Nope

Nope

My best friend :) Tomorrow night we are having a get together with all of my friends who just got back from their missions. I haven't seen most of them in at least 2 years! I'm so excited!

Hmm...no one I guess. There isn't really anyone I have to see over the break if I don't want to.

Not really

The actual sit down dinner

Nope. Any traditions my family did when I was little they still do.

Hell no. Never.

I can't think of any.

None. I love the Thanksgiving dinner that my mom makes.

• Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I usually start watching Christmas movies, and I don't stop until New Years!

No, but this year I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at BF's parents' house (where everyone has to either sit on the floor or stand) and going to my parents' afterward for dessert and conversation. I'm going to make some pies tonight.

I can't wait to see BF's neices. I love those girls!

I'm excited to see everyone.

I'm making new ones. In the past I always went to my parents' by myself and had a quiet informal dinner, and would look at the sales papers and talk to my parents after dinner.

I prefer warm, fresh food... but the turkey sandwiches are pretty great.

Not really. It was always just me, my mom and my dad.

Oh heavens no. I might go in the evening when most people are done, but not any earlier than 5pm.

I love that BF's family does the secret santa drawing on Thanksgiving. I'm excited to be a part of that in person this year (last year I had to text bf what I would want)

Hmm, I don't know! I think I will miss my mom's sweet potato casserole this year, but I'm sure she will make it for Christmas.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No movies, but we watch the parade then football.

Yes! We have super awesome sandwiches with turkey, cranberry sauce, and cream cheese on asiago bagels, with a side of stuffing and green bean casserole! I'm gonna miss it this year since we are going out of town. :(

This year, my cousin Danny and his wife Tiffany! I haven't seen them in about a year.

They are the only ones meeting up with us for dinner, so N/A.

MY sister and I always do our bday shopping on Black Friday. Her bday is the 28th and mine is the 29th, so our parents give us our bday  money and we shop. This year we are doing it in Kansas City, should be fun!

All-in-one!!!!!

Not really. I do miss everyone being together, but we are all older and have families of our own.

See #5.

None, really.

Again, our food is pretty awesome. So, none.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I just realized I forgot one of my own family traditions. (BAD wink!)  Every year we put up/decorated the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving weekend. Once I moved out it turned into Thanksgiving night instead.

I hope we still do that this year, even though I'll have less time at my parents' since I'm going to BF's parents' for dinner.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No but we should!

We already had round 1 with FI's family on Sunday..round 2 will be with mine on Thursday..and then I'm sure FI and I will be eating leftovers for a few days haha.

My grandparents I suppose

My alcoholic uncle we all feel obligated to invite. Last Thanksgiving he proposed to his girlfriend of one month, who said yes, while we were all standing around saying a prayer. It was hilarious and awkward cause no one said anything lol. They are of course no longer together.

Not really..we have a lot for Christmas though.

Definitely the sit-down dinner

Nope, I do miss when my cousins and I were all little though.

FI and I are supposed to, not really sure if we are though.

None, but I could use some ideas.

Nothing..my family has all of my favorites :)
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Charlie Brown!!
    Not this year, FI's mom has to work
    My niece and newphews
    My sister's FI, cannot stand the guy
    We have orange jello at my grandmas for every holiday, made with mandrian oranges and sprint/7up as the cold liquid, it is fluffed half way through the cooling process!
    All of the above!
    I think they are all still the same
    Starting at Midnight!!
    That the older grandkids (ones moved out of parents home) also bring a dish to pass, some of my cousins still rely too much on their parents and they are in their mid 20s
    I am a picky eater so what we have that I will eat is it.

• Options
    caitlin.cavecaitlin.cave member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That round 2 sounds so cool, rdr!  Jaycee... there are no words for how awkwardly hilarious that is.

We don't have any movies for Thanksgiving.  Lots for Christmas though.

We usually go to my aunt's house for Thursday and then my dad makes another whole dinner on Friday.  This year, we're just doing dad's on Thursday.

I haven't seen one of my cousins in a while, so I'm super excited to see her.

Nobody is coming that I'm not excited to see.

My dad dries out the wishbone of the turnkey and we break it the next year to see whose wish is going to come true.

I loooove the sit-down dinner.  My dad makes so many interesting side-dishes for his, and I'm really excited to try those.  This year, I think it's mashed sweet potatoes I'm most excited for.

I think we still have all our traditions.

Goodness, no.  But FI works at Barnes & Noble when he goes home on holidays, and he's opening black Friday. 

Jaycee's pie tradition! That sounds so cool.

Eh, I can't really say there's anything.  If I do see something interesting, I'll just suggest it to dad.  He usually likes adding interesting stuff.
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm excited to watch Elf 17 times in the next month!

Usually round two (and three) is at FI's house. That night we'll usually make delicious sandwiches.

None, mainly because I see them all on a regular basis.

My DB cousin who told my grandmother she was "boring and talks too much" last week. The woman lives alone and is lonely FFS, let her talk.

My mom and I go to the ho-dunk mall and shopp Friday afternoon. There's never anyone there, even on Black Friday.

sit-down dinner

Not really for thanksgiving.

I may go in the am with my aunt, I'm not sure if I'm that crazy though. I will be going in the afternoon with my mom.

None

Macaroni and cheese!
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Nope.

Nope.

We just go to my parents' house. We live a mile from my parents, so I see them at least once a week.

N/A

Just dinner. It also kicks off the Christmas season for us. Sometimes we watch the Macy's parade.

I really only get the first one.

Nope.

My mom and I are going to the Harvest Festival craft fair.

I don't know of any.

Since I only eat sides (no turkey) I get all the sides I want.  =)

*sigh* my answers are so lame.

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Nope.

The last two years I have done two meals.  I am not this year though.

Usually my aunts.  I really love them

My cousin.  Though I don’t think (thank God) that he will be here this year.

Pealing burning hot chestnuts, straight out of burning hot oil.  I hate it!  It hurts like no other and you get bits of the chestnuts shells wedged under your finger nails!

6) Which is your favorite - the sit-down dinner itself, the reheated plate of leftovers, or the all-in-one sandwich?

The sit down dinner.

We use to each get three dried kernels of corn and say what we were thankful for.  We don’t anymore though.

I was going to for the first time but now I am not.

IDK, I don’t really like T day

Beans and bacon, rolls and mashed potatoes and gravy!  NOM NOM

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    sadly no

not really

no one in particular

my sister, she is being particularly mean lately

None really, just splitting up time between mine and bf's family

dinner itself

going to my grandma's when she lived in the city but that stopped when she moved when i was 12

I get to work on black friday.. stupid stock market

none that i can think of

tofu...if that is considered a side or not I don't know...

Anniversary

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Home Alone, and It's a Wonderful Life (that's on TV on Thanksgiving, right?) I actually hate it, but my Mom loves it, so we always watch it. We also never miss the parade or the dog show.

I've had as many as three Thanksgiving dinners in a year. We always do my Grandma's on my Mom's side the weekend before, then we're usually with my Dad's family on actual Thanksgiving, and I've done "Friendsgivings" a couple of years also.

My whole family.

BF's sister. She's already made a huge deal about having to come down here, and is mad that not every single dish is going to be made the exact way her Mom always made it (aka, out of the box).

Hmmm, not anything too unusual. I'm going to miss seeing my Dad's side of the family this year-there are always lots of Whiskey Sours at dinner when we're with them-it's kind of our family drink.

The actual dinner.

Not really...we pretty much still do everything the same.

God no. Although, I did get some awesome deals on Amazon last year, so I'll definitely check out what they have to offer.

Hmmm, I don't know.

We have pretty much everything. I really can't think of anything that we're missing!
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm coming back to this later tonight - I still have 3 hours to drive.  :(
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) Do you have any Turkey Day movies that you watch over the break?Not unless the parade counts!  

2) Do you ever have T-Day Round 2?When I was with my ex, we did his parents and mine.  Before that, nope.  And I'm going to run with "probably not" this year as well :)

3) Which relative/friend are you most excited to see around T-Day?This year, it's my brother!  He's been gone since August, which is totally weird.  Also, our extended family is all in CA, so we never get to see them for T-Day.

4) Which relative/friend are you least excited to see?N/A.  Oh, wait.  My dad.  Long story.  He's on my shiit list right now though and he knows it.

5) Do you have any traditions around this holiday? Mom and I always go shopping on Friday, and lately I've been adamant about putting the tree up.  We have food traditions as well - cornbread stuffing, fresh veggies...stuff that my ex's family didn't do that weirded me out.

6) Which is your favorite - the sit-down dinner itself, the reheated plate of leftovers, or the all-in-one sandwich?Reheated leftovers.  OM NOM NOM

7) Did you have any traditions when you were younger that you now miss?Not really.  If anything I appreciate it more now - mom and I spend a lot of time together around Thanksgiving.

8) Are you shopping on Black Friday?Yes.

9) What traditions have you heard of that you wish you did or want to start?I can't think of any right now.  But I do know that I want to be able to host Thanksgiving within the next year or two.  That's a goal for me.

10) What sides do you not normally have for T-Day dinner that you would like to have?Mom and I plan the menu - I get everything I want.  :)  
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards