Not Engaged Yet

Help!!! I have an interview tomorrow!!

And I was an idiot this weekend.

A friend of mine and I went to Diwali this year (an Indian festival), and we both did the henna thing.  It's pretty awesome, and I love mine, but I got it on my hand.  And my interview is with a law firm...

So, would it be better to just leave it and tell them all about my love of experiencing other cultures?  Or try and get it off?  And if the latter is better, any recommendations?

Also, outfit advice would be helpful...egads.  I'm a mess.  This is a smidge of a P&R, because I have to go to work in like 20 minutes.  TIA!!
I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Help!!! I have an interview tomorrow!!

• edited December 2011
    I would leave it and not draw attention to it. It's not permanent, and it is a cultural practice. How do they know you're not Indian or have friends who are and you are respecting their culture? Besides, isn't henna pretty ornate and expensive? I wouldn't wash it away!

If they ask say, "Oh, this? It's temporary henna. I got it during Diwali. It only lasts a few weeks!" There - you've explained it's not permanent, and shown your interest in other cultures.

It might even be a good conversation piece. I used to wear a bracelet made out of a fork to job interviews. I got it in England. Sometimes it was mentioned, sometimes it wasn't, but it made for a good story to tell!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would leave it.  Makes good conversation.  But I wouldn't say anything about it unless they ask.

Outfit:  I would wear a pencil skirt with a cool blouse on top and cute black heels.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    I worked for a law firm for a couple of years, in the HR/Marketing dept and IT dept (woman of many trades, I guess!).

at this law firm, your interview would have lasted about 5 minutes if you'd come in with any kind of tattoo (even a small ankle one) showing, never mind henna on your hands.  :(  to work there, you had to have your tattoos covered.  some people with the little ankle tattoos covered them with bandaids.

I would definitely find out about the vibe of the law firm.  you'd hate to miss out on a great opportunity just because of some henna!  and, if you REALLY want the job, I'd err on the side of caution and get rid of it.  you don't want them to think you're a silly, early/mid-twenties girl that they can't rely on or take seriously.  you want to look professional, intelligent, and mature.  it sounds awful, but that is definitely the attitude of a lot of professionals (especially lawyers).  of course, it's not EVERYWHERE, but many law firms are still really conservative.  I can honestly say that if a candidate had shown up for an interview for any type of position at our law firm, they would have been dismissed as "immature and unqualified" and the interview would have ended as quickly as possible. 

:(  I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, I promise.  I guess I'd find out more about the particular law firm and go from there...  but if you really want the job, like I said, I'd err on the side of caution.

• lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interview-tomorrow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cff9cfe7-8d95-49ce-b357-018961be7698Post:9de73c2e-c21c-417c-908a-04c9b5b39b1b">Re: Help!!! I have an interview tomorrow!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I worked for a law firm for a couple of years, in the HR/Marketing dept and IT dept (woman of many trades, I guess!). at this law firm, your interview would have lasted about 5 minutes if you'd come in with any kind of tattoo (even a small ankle one) showing, never mind henna on your hands.  :(  to work there, you had to have your tattoos covered.  some people with the little ankle tattoos covered them with bandaids. I would definitely find out about the vibe of the law firm.  you'd hate to miss out on a great opportunity just because of some henna!  and, if you REALLY want the job, I'd err on the side of caution and get rid of it.  you don't want them to think you're a silly, early/mid-twenties girl that they can't rely on or take seriously.  you want to look professional, intelligent, and mature.  it sounds awful, but that is definitely the attitude of a lot of professionals (especially lawyers).  of course, it's not EVERYWHERE, but many law firms are still really conservative.  I can honestly say that if a candidate had shown up for an interview for any type of position at our law firm, they would have been dismissed as "immature and unqualified" and the interview would have ended as quickly as possible.  :(  I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, I promise.  I guess I'd find out more about the particular law firm and go from there...  but if you really want the job, like I said, I'd <strong>err on the side of caution.</strong>
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>CocoBella is right, most firms are very old school and would not tolerate such a thing. Get rid of it, or risk loosing the opportunity to work for this firm...Sorry.

</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interview-tomorrow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cff9cfe7-8d95-49ce-b357-018961be7698Post:8e60beaa-0dcb-43ce-8aa0-4e84bf2529c3">Help!!! I have an interview tomorrow!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]And I was an idiot this weekend. A friend of mine and I went to Diwali this year (an Indian festival), and we both did the henna thing.  It's pretty awesome, and I love mine, but I got it on my hand.  And my interview is with a law firm... So, would it be better to just leave it and tell them all about my love of experiencing other cultures?  Or try and get it off?  And if the latter is better, any recommendations? Also,<strong> outfit advice would be helpful</strong>...egads.  I'm a mess.  This is a smidge of a P&R, because I have to go to work in like 20 minutes.  TIA!!
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

forgot to answer this part!

a couple examples of what our HR dept would have liked to have seen: 

<a href="http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=50356&oid=OUT23847" rel="nofollow">http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=50356&oid=OUT23847</a>
    (but maybe a subdued cardi, like a rich dark teal or purple)

<a href="http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=50356&oid=OUT23839" rel="nofollow">http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=50356&oid=OUT23839</a>

hemlines should not be 2 inches above the knee.  no boobs showing.  heels.

the best combo is a sheath dress or modest skirt + blazer or cardi.  try to steer away from bright colors.  once you get the job and you're there for a little bit, you can get a feel for it and start wearing brighter colors, flats, etc.

minimal jewelry.  minimal-ish make-up (just the basics, nothing too fancy or attention-grabbing). 

some of the really old school law firms are weird about pant-suits on candidates.  your best bet is a knee-length sheath or skirt...  but if it's not so conservative, a pantsuit would also work.

probably no open-toed shoes, at least for the interview.

and, uh, I hate to say it...  but probably panty-hose. 

if you do some googling, there are LOTS of helpful guidelines for interviewing at a law firm.  good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I did a little research ... some sites I went on said you can't remove henna as early as a day because it was designed to last. It can take up to two weeks for it to disappear completely, with or without help.

However, some other suggest you can speed up the process by scrubbing with natural oil or rubbing alcohol. One suggested soaking it in salt water for 15 minutes. Another said using a scrub of coarse salt and lemon juice.

According to what I read, I'm afraid that you won't get rid of it completely in 24 hours =( I tried!

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I read all that too, bside.  not sounding good.

I still think that it would be better to try and get it off or fade it.  maybe if you can fade it, and apply some concealer, you could make it less noticeable?  I dunno. 

can we see a picture of it??
  • edited December 2011
    You know, there's always makeup. I don't know why I didn't think of it.  

I'm sure you can find tattoo camouflage at a tattoo parlour or some drugstores carry it. It can be expensive (mine was $20) but it might be worth it?

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.

The good news is that I've been scrubbing, and it's starting to really fade.  I'm going to hit it with more dish soap and lemon juice tonight....

As far as outfit goes, I was thinking about my black pencil skirt and blazer with hose and my black leather heels.  It's good to know about the bright colors.  I was totally going to wear bright turquoise.  But tonight when I'm getting my heels fixed I'll find another top.  :)

Dark nailpolish?  Or light pink?
    I french with my man
  • edited December 2011
    Light pink nail polish but the rest sounds good. 

I would try to find a patterned gray and black top with some visual interest. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    light nail polish!!  for sure.  stick with a neutral color, like beige or pale pink.  go with very clean cut.  you don't want to draw attention to your hands, ESPECIALLY if you've been doing all that scrubbing.  it's likely your hand will be a little red.  I would even think about powdering it or something if it's raw or red.

my favorite trick is to use the pink that salons use for american manis, minus the pearl tip.  it gives it a little bit of color but looks really clean.

or something like OPI's Malaysian Mist or At First Sight.
  • edited December 2011
    oh, and good luck!!  be sure to update us!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    cute tops Mutley!  I think I need the first two! 
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I picked up a grey and white striped long sleeve button-down, and my nails are actually Malaysian Mist.  I didn't see your posts until I got home, so thanks for the mind waves :)

The shoe repair man gave me dirty looks like "how dare you abuse your shoes so badly" but he managed to fix them mostly.  At this point, if they're that concerned that the leather on the heel near the tip is messed up, seriously?  Buy me some new shoes.

I'll post in the morning with a PIP of the outfit.  I'm not planning on wearing much makeup, just enough to give me some definition and color.

Thanks for all your help tonight ladies!  You all rock!  And the henna is mostly gone - my finger looks a little dirty, but we're going to keep scrubbing at it!
    I french with my man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards