Not Engaged Yet
Options

NWR Dress dilemma, need help fast. PIP

Hi ladies. You all seem awesome at providing honest opinions on stuff like this, so here goes:

I've got a work dinner tonight and 3 dresses to choose from. It will be at a rooftop garden and at last year's dinner people dressed semi-formal (think short but nice skirts, sequins, cocktail dresses, etc). I only have 2 hours to decide, so any input is most appreciated! Thanks!

Please excuse my lack of makeup and  messy hair :P

Dress #1

Dress #2

Dress #3 (probably too short for a work function...)

Edited because I can't spell when I'm in a hurry...

Re: NWR Dress dilemma, need help fast. PIP

• Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like #3, but not with the boots. Also, isn't it super hot in Alabama this weekend? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be hot everywhere. I'd go with something more summer-y. On a rooftop, you're going to be roasting.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, Liv, that's my problem... nothing I have really works. I realized last night that I left any cocktail dresses I had in AL, so I don't have anything that's perfect. But people wear a weird combination of stuff to these dinners anyway. Some dress super classy, and others come straight form work (we work in the tourism industry) so they're in jeans and t-shirts. But, yeah, maybe the boots are way too casual.

bourgehm- You're right, it is roasting in Alabama, but fortunately I live in Italy now :) Still pretty brutal heat during the day, but the evenings have been nice and breezy lately.
  • Options
    Olliee1607Olliee1607 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do dress #1 but only if you wear some sort of pump. The boots are deff a no-go for a work function. Or dress # 2 if you don't have pumps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Alice in Wonderland Planning Bio

image 83 Invited
    image 47 Attending
    image 5 Declined
    image 31 Unknown
    RSVP Date: May 2, 2012
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally prefer dress #2 since its work related - though I can see dress #1 with some pumps , it just , I don't know seems too club style to me , but then again I don't know much about fashion , I just wear what feels good , but I am personally wary of wearing anything too short to a work function and definitely no knee high boots. When in doubt classy and elegant is always a good choice.
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like #1 with pumps...Or Dress #2....dressed down a bit- maybe with a belt?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Liv on the boots.  If this is what you have to choose from, I would go for #1 with a pair of heels.

Do you have any high waisted black skirts that you could pair with a nice top?

I really like this look, but with a colored top:

IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like dress #1 with heels also.  I also like dress #3 (with heels) but I think #1 would be the best choice.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_nwr-dress-dilemma-need-fast-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d00f0780-84f3-4697-9157-a7124d68b789Post:3b3033f3-97ed-4f43-ba2a-fa09bbe67cd2">Re: NWR Dress dilemma, need help fast. PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd do #2 with less-formal hair and accessories.  I find that something long and breezy is better (AL humidity or not) over something more formfitting and short.   I'd say dress #1 is a definite no-go. And Italy!  Fancy!
    Posted by sunbird627[/QUOTE]

Yup, I vote for number 2.

Do you have some cute flat dressy-ish sandals? And a coordinating chunky necklace? i feel like that could work nicely.

ETA: I also like the belt suggestion. A colorful patent leather maybe?

I really don't like dress 1 for a work function. I feel like the one shoulder thing is just not work appropriate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_nwr-dress-dilemma-need-fast-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d00f0780-84f3-4697-9157-a7124d68b789Post:7468d5b1-520e-4a39-b46f-d7a7922dbc78">Re: NWR Dress dilemma, need help fast. PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Liv on the boots.  If this is what you have to choose from, I would go for #1 with a pair of heels. Do you have any high waisted black skirts that you could pair with a nice top? I really like this look, but with a colored top:
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]

I like this suggestion, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'm kinda KUI right now but...
    Thanks ladies... I ended up going with #1 with heels and a different belt and it fit in pretty well with what my coworkers were wearing. I guess since we don't work in an office we go a bit more casual for work-related stuff. Anyway dinner turned into clubbing afterward so I think it was a good choice of attire. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm super glad I didn't wear those boots!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards