Not Engaged Yet
Options

S/O What is your reaction to babies?

Saphire's adorable batgirl got me thinking about babies.  What is your reaction to the following...

Seeing an adorable baby?

Holding an adorable baby?

Seeing your SO holding/interacting with an adorable little one?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    *Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

I wanna steal it.

My heart goes out of control. 
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Seeing an adorable baby?

Aww cute!  Please don’t start crying. *tries to make baby smile*

Aw *damn hope I don’t drop it.  Awh no please stop crying!*

Sh!t he wants lots of kids…

I have bad luck with babies!

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love other people's babies.  But I'm still a few years off from getting excited about having one myself.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm kinda horrified of them.  All the adults in my life say that will change when they're mine, lol.  We'll see.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    I usually smile at them and waive. Sometimes I try to play hide and seek or peek-a-boo depending on their age. Kids usually like to play with me.

Side note - I once played peek-a-boo with a shy little boy at a restaurant. When BF and I were walking out he told me to turn around. The little boy was standing on his chair waiving goodbye to me. His whole family looked so confused. I don't think they ever noticed we were playing all through dinner. haha.

I love holding babies! I'm the oldest of my cousins, but some BF's cousins have kids. His aunts always say "Isn't she a natural?" when I'm holding one of their grandkids. I like to think i'll be a good momma one day.

Makes me swoon. I know BF will be a wonderful dad. He is a little nervous about the idea of having kids...but he's so patient and loving that I know he'll be a natural. Seeing him hold a baby makes me realize how gentle he really is. It's super cute!
  • Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    edited December 2011
    Reaction to an adorable baby:
    "Aww" *squeeeeee*

Holding an adorable baby:
    I just get all happy inside and think about how much I someday want babies of my own!

BF with an adorable baby:
    I LOVE watching BF interact with babies. Last night when we were out with my little cousin he got called "Dad" and he LOVED it! It was thee cutest thing ever. I can't wait to have kids with him because I know he is going to make an awesome dad.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I WANT A BAYBEH!!!

That's my answer for all of the above questions.
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:71171ded-2f1d-4d3e-8677-16aa028fe74d">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I WANT A BAYBEH!!! That's my answer for all of the above questions.
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div><div>
    </div><div>Here are the more elaborate answers:</div><div>
    </div><div><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><strong>Seeing an adorable baby?</strong>

Squee! I want to hold it!

<strong>Holding an adorable baby?</strong>

Squee! I want to take it home with me!

<strong>Seeing your SO holding/interacting with an adorable little one?</strong></span></div><div><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><strong>
    </strong></span></div><div><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Squee! He's so wonderful with kids!  (Sometimes, depending on the day, followed by a twinge of sadness since I don't know whether he wants to have kids with me...)</span></div>
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Give me one NOW!

That's my answer. 
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby
    I usually will smile, make funny faces, wave...it depends on where I am and whose baby it is.

Holding an adorable baby

I pretty much become absorbed in paying attention to the baby, making him/her smile or laugh. I LOVE holding babies :)

Seeing your SO holding/interacting with an adorable little one

It makes me think he is going to be a fantastic father :)

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've said before that I don't have a maternal instinct. Babies are all right if they're quiet. If they make noise, I want to get as far away as possible. I don't want to hold one. I don't think H wants to hold one, either. Babies just aren't my thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:cd702113-fa40-4c0f-8f84-921d84ecf4f6">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI makes fun of me for how I react to kids.  Whenever I see a cute baby and go "Ohhhh I want one" he just laughs.  Mostly because of my responses below... Seeing an adorable baby? "Awww...  Don't throw up." Holding an adorable baby? "Please don't throw up.  Oh he made a noise." *hands him back to mommy*  (FI's godson has some serious reflux issues and vomits constantly.) Seeing your SO holding/interacting with an adorable little one? "At least he's awkward with kids too." Once kids are older and can walk and interact, I'm much more fun.  I'm not one for holding babies though.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who is like that so when his mom had a baby any time I helped him babysit for her when the baby made any sort of noise he just handed him to me. I don't think he could've watched him on his own.

• Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    I try to make them smile. Or just think, "Cute!"

"Don't cry!"

The sweetest thing. Makes me think he'll be a great ffather.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My reaction to all of the above is for my ovaries to start going into hyperdrive producing would-be future babies. I've had horrid baby fever since I was about 5.

BF lovingly calls it, "Tink Tink, rattle rattle."

My mom said to my sister and I the other day, "I hope you guys are either off BC or get off soon so that you can knocked up ASAP."

I'll get on that Mom!!

Disclaimer: No, I do not intend on getting myself knocked up anytime soon. I'm not quite *that* crazy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:0410adbb-f9ae-47a0-8074-92f9f6f78334">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My reaction to all of the above is for my ovaries to start going into hyperdrive producing would-be future babies. I've had horrid baby fever since I was about 5. BF lovingly calls it, "Tink Tink, rattle rattle." <strong>My mom said to my sister and I the other day, "I hope you guys are either off BC or get off soon so that you can knocked up ASAP."</strong> I'll get on that Mom!! Disclaimer: No, I do not intend on getting myself knocked up anytime soon. I'm not quite *that* crazy.
    Posted by csousa1[/QUOTE]

My mom has said similar things. She wants grandbabies.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not a fan of babies. At all. Keep them away from me. I have very strong feelings about this but I will refrain from truth-telling so I don't hurt feelings.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    edited December 2011
    I have baby fever something fierce right now. Especially after last night. Ugh.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:940f087e-97dc-4cd3-9120-480bc491b24a">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shhhhh bside - I get it.  I'm not a huge fan, but I have my moments.   I just tried to quote you, btw and it took me to a thread about menus.  WTF?   My mom is already talking about being able to take off work when my kids are sick to take care of them (her job lets her take sick days for family members).  I was like ookkkkay Mom.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

My quoting works fine. Your computer's special =P

The first thing my grandmother said to my mom when I got engaged was, "I can't wait to be a great-grandma! Are you excited to be a grandma?!"

Needless to say, that led to a panicked phone call from my mother.

*headdesk*

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    OMG... Can I hold them, please, please, pretty please????

I'm never giving you back, I hope you like me as your new mommy... Then they cry and I panic to find their mom.

I never have, weird.... There just aren't any babies round us usually. I bet it would make me all gooshy though :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HAHAHA. My mom has the exact opposite reaction. She's told me many times she does NOT want to be a grandmother, that I shouldn't have children, and that she only wants to be a grandma to dogs.  No pressure to have babies from her! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    I melt and try not to verbally gush praise. Until they start crying and are no longer adorable. Then I'm very happy that I don't have one.

Stuck somewhere between "awwww" and worrying that I'm holding him/her wrong or about to drop him/her.

Same as CCO, I never have either! I'd probably wonder how long it would take SO not to be all awkward around babies, because I'm sure he would be.. ^_^;;

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love other people's babies/kids for the most part, as long as they're quiet & smell good. I don't like crying, I don't like obnoxious, and I don't like poop. Or puke. My favorite thing about my friend's babies is that I can give them back, whenever I want.

BF and I have talked about never having kids. We both were willing to compromise on one, if the other really wanted them, but neither of us do. We're okay with being selfish & not sacrificing the things we want to do in life for kids. His sister has two boys, and both of my sisters want kids (one as soon as possible) so we'll be the cool aunt & uncle for life. Totally okay with that.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    He's actually wanting more in the baby department than I am. I was a nanny for years, so when I see babies, I'm not too interested. If the baby does something that could lead to trouble, I'll stop it. If the baby seems interested in me, I'll humor it. I've never seen Tyler with children, but according to his friend who recently had a baby, Tyler was hilarious to watch the first time that he held her baby -- alas, I did not get to view this, as I'm sure he held it like a bomb that was about to explode.

So in short: babies? eh. Some day we'll have them, but for now, I just couldn't really care less. We have our dogs.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally posted this then ran to lunch...sorry! 

Seeing an adorable baby?
    "Awww".  Follwed by the urge to hold, talk to, make faces at them. 

Ovaries start screaming!  I REALLY want a couple more babies, one day.

It makes my heart melt.  He is such a natural with kids of all ages, but I'm super impressed by his lack of fear with newborns.  Last night he was playing peek-a-boo with my cousins baby and we were talking later about how cute the baby was and he was like "oh I held __ & __'s new baby yesterday, did you see the pictures on facebook...that was me holding him....he was just tiny and sweetly sleeping in my arms while we were all watching football."  My smile had to have been huuuuge when he was talking about it.  He talks about having kids often, brings it up more than I do.  I seriously cannot wait to have his babies...well I can, and will, but I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

ETA: New baby he was holding is like 10 days old, if that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    Aww - what a cute baby! I hope no one asks me if I want to hold it

Ah sh!t - they made me hold it. I probably look like an idiot. I hope I don't drop it/it doesn't cry. Ah fvck - it's crying.

Very cute. He is definitely good with kids.

Generally, babies scare me a bit. Once they're old enough to stand up I'm fine, but they just seem so fragile when they're really little and I'm afraid I'll do something wrong so then it's just awkward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:c12b2509-1ba0-472e-944d-bda80d01b297">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not a fan of babies. At all. Keep them away from me. I have very strong feelings about this but I will refrain from truth-telling so I don't hurt feelings.
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

Now I'm curious about your opinion!

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Seeing an adorable baby?
    Squee!

Eeeee as long as it doesn't barf on me.

Awwwwww.

I love babies, but I prefer children over the age of about 4.  I love playing with all the little ones in our families.  But, I still don't think I ever want my own.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:5f6608fd-dfd5-4649-8810-835b7c6a4a9b">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies? : Now I'm curious about your opinion!
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

x2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_reaction-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e1b5d548-2bae-4537-b91e-d06ffe4cae04Post:1aa5b092-0049-44a4-96bd-2b47d8220a0b">Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O What is your reaction to babies? : I could have written this post, exactly, except insert "friends" instead of "sister." Thank you for articulating how I feel and not making me feel like an ass for feeling it. :)
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I think it's sad that our society makes women feel as though they have to want kids. One of my mom's good friends doesn't want kids and people constantly assume that the reason she doens't have kids is she can't have kids so they offer unwanted advice on options for having kids.

You shouldn't feel like an ass for feeling a certain way about a personal decision.

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My reaction to all of those situations is: Oh my God, I wannnntttt one, and I can't wait until we're ready for that stage. Right now, we have multiple friends (including our best "couple" friends) who are expecting, and I'm really excited to have some babies in my life that I can enjoy, but not be responsible for. I always joke that I'm disappointed BF and are both the oldest, since I would love to be an aunt right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards