Not Engaged Yet
Options

Anyone still awake?

Sorry for being somewhat of a PW, but I had a crazy afternoon (and have had a couple of drinks since)...and now I can't fall asleep. Anyone else still around?

Tell me about:

-your best memory
-your worst memory (if you want)
-your siblings/your family
-your freshman year of college/your first year out on your own/when you realized you were an "adult"

or, random chatting...I need some entertainment :)

Re: Anyone still awake?

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ohhh...do you have a link to the picture of the ring??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm awake. I think we picked the date! Yay!

Buggle-I really like those rings, the first is my fav.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    I think I like "not as twisty" better, but they are both beautiful. It's exciting that you know it's coming...even if it takes a year.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Jaycee-sooo, when's the date?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    5/27/12. So weird to think about it!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow! That's not too terribly far away...so exciting. You're in school right? When do you graduate?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buggle- You're welcome and thanks! Waiting and trying not to be BSC is a lot harder when you know they have the ring.

Jorja- I'm finished the first week of May, and then I will take my boards in July. It worked out well because I should've finished last year and it would've made it more difficult to get married if I was already working.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Buggle-I hope it doesn't take a year too! You just never know...I have a feeling my BF would not be able to hold on to a ring for too long, but everybody's different. I would not be able to stand it knowing it was purchased. I know there are ladies on here who have known their BF's had rings for a whilllle. It would drive me nuts. I bet it's really exciting though.

Jaycee-That should work out well for you and taking NCLEX...you'll have plenty of time to study after you get married :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buggle- I'm going for my BSN (nursing) and it takes a while for the state to get documentation that you have completed your degree and they have to permit you to take boards. Of all my friends who graduated this year, only 3 have jobs lined up already and only 2 have taken their NCLEX. It seems that most people wait until July (I'm assuming for extra study time) to take their boards. What field do you work in?

Jorja-That's what I'm hoping! How soon after graduating did you take your boards/start looking for jobs? It seems that everyone I know is doing it differently.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Ah, I see...well, the designs are beautiful, and at least you know that he wants to buy you a goregous ring sometime fairly soon :)
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Oh man...I started applying for New Grad Internships that were posted at various hospitals from DC to NYC the February before I graduated. I graduated at the end of May, continued applying for every job under the sun all summer, took boards in August.

I had my first interview in September (ironically on the floor I ended up working on for the past year and a half), but I was holding out for an internship in the NICU that started in November up here where BF lives. When I didn't get it, I finally had to face the music that I was NOT going to get a job in the northeast, and I needed to buckle down and take the job in VA. So that's how I ended up "commuting" for the past year and a half.

The job market is better now, though. I just graduated at a really crappy time for nursing, especially in this area.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-still-awake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e5f0a5b2-212b-4ebd-a577-78f8722e5ed7Post:fbc019e6-e4af-4a1c-8f7b-ad275f1ee273">Re: Anyone still awake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh ok, that makes sense then. I can't imagine not job searching your last semester! I'm getting<strong> my masters in civil engineering</strong>, and I'll graduate next December. The goal is having a job lined up when I graduate, so my last semester will be filled with career fairs and interviews and lots of stress! Are you just supposed to save enough money before graduation to support yourself for an indefinite period of time between boards and getting a job? I think that would be the most stressful part since I live on financial aid during the school year, worrying about running out of money before getting a job!
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

Smarty pants...that's awesome! I was good friends with a girl who was an engineering major in undergrad (don't remember what kind)...her homework was always completely crazy looking to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jorja- That does not sound fun. How far is your commute? I really want to work in the NICU as well :)

Buggle- Yeah, nursing seems to be a lot diferent than most other majors. It's hard to relate to my friends sometimes because we all have such different schedules and everything. I think most people compare clinical to internships. Luckily, FI and I own a pizza shop and make enough money to support ourselves without me being a nurse yet. It will definitely be nice to have additional income once I do start working, but I will have college loans to pay off as well.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes. I think a lot of people right out of school are drawn to OB/Peds/NICU. I definitely was (and still am to some extent). In my experience, it's pretty hard to get a job in one of thoese areas, and I love my job where I am, so I've kind of put it on the back burner for now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-still-awake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e5f0a5b2-212b-4ebd-a577-78f8722e5ed7Post:e064c114-ed2d-43cd-a0be-4b6fe8e99de5">Re: Anyone still awake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it a common thing that the most sought-after jobs in nursing are in OB or nicu or peds? A friend of mine is a CNA and working on her BSN. She had an interview for some other floor at a hospital, and they flat out asked her if she was applying for this job to get her foot in the door so she could transfer to peds later.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I personally do want to work in peds, and if I can't find a job in peds my second choice is OB.

After doing my peds and my OB rotation I have decided they are what I am most interested in. I have 3 different clinical rotations next semester (ughhh) and one of them we got to choose our specialty. I obviously chose peds and will be at the hospital or a school. According to the list there are a good number of people who picked peds or OB, but a lot more picked other specialties.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jorja- What do you work in now?

Buggle- I hate math..I give anyone credit who loves it. haha
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    I work telemetry/progressive care. I say "commute" because I've been living at home in VA with my Dad for the days that I work. I work 6 nights in a row, then have 8 off, during which I've been here. It's 3.5 hours one way.

I just got a new job (still tele/PCU) up here though, so I moved in with BF full time this past weekend, and no more "commuting".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buggle- I only have experience from clinical and my internship, but what I have experienced so far can absolutely be hard and sad at times. I can in a way block it out  so that it doesn't hit me too hard but I am still able to be compassionate. It's hard to explain, I don't really know haha.

Jorja- Well that's a lot better. I can only imagine how rough that must have been. I really hope the job market is good next year. We are stuck in Pittsburgh because of the pizza shop, so I'm kind of limited.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah...I am super excited to not have to do the drive once a week. I'll miss my crazy family...but not that much :)

Buggle, It's funny, I'm not a super social person either, but somehow I'm able to "turn on" that part of me at work. I think the key is separating your life at home, and your life at work. I've seen some terribly sad things happen, but I also like to think that I've helped prevent some terribly sad things from happening. Also, it might sound awful, but I rarely think about the speicfics of work, or my patients when I'm not there. You just have to segregate it. Otherwise, you'd have nothing left for the important things in your own life.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    It might also have to do with my schedule...I'm in "work mode" for 6 days, then not for 8.

I have never been a bachelor/bachelorette fan. I do watch SYTTD, but it seems like it's always reruns. I'm kind of interested for the new bridesmaid version.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Alright ladies, I'm finally going to try to get some sleep. It's been nice chatting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards