Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Outdoor Ceremony Altar Alternatives? PIP

So we are having an outdoor ceremony, and I'm stumped about what to do about a wedding altar area. We don't want an arch or anything over our heads, we don't really want flowers to frame us, and we don't want fake marble pillars. What can we do?? Here is a picture of the altar space at our site... pardon the bad angle. I really like the stone wall and ivy, and wouldn't want to cover it with some kind of backdrop. I'm almost considering having nothing at all in the altar space. What do you think?

Thanks!!

Re: Outdoor Ceremony Altar Alternatives? PIP

• Options
    i agree with you. The natural backdrop is beatiul. What about adding some flowers into the ivy/stone wall? You could stick to one type of flower/color or do many
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_outdoor-ceremony-altar-alternatives-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ed643aca-d526-460a-8045-49f17886d3d2Post:521596b7-c9b1-42c9-9557-5c3a6701c63f">Re: Outdoor Ceremony Altar Alternatives? PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]i agree with you. The natural backdrop is beatiul. What about adding some flowers into the ivy/stone wall? You could stick to one type of flower/color or do many
    Posted by schadbourne[/QUOTE]
    This is what I was going to suggest.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    my aunt and uncle had a balloon arch at their wedding that was beautiful.
    but I agree with has already been said, add flowers to the stone wall, it's beautiful
  • Options

I like the idea of adding the flowers to the wall, but you could also create the illusion of the wall extending out to you by placing potted topiaries of varying sizes and heights several feet in front of the wall and then angled towards the wall, this would "encircle" you and your husband to be. The flowers you add to the wall could also be added in small pots in this ground level arch and it would tie everything together and give you a Special spot to stand rather than just standing in the middle of the open space. Depending on the time of day for your ceremony you could add a couple ornamental hanging lanterns to your arch of topiaries and flowers casting a soft glow to the area.

• Options
    belysiabelysia member
    First Comment
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I kind of like the idea of the potted topiaries. Might go with that. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_outdoor-ceremony-altar-alternatives-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:ed643aca-d526-460a-8045-49f17886d3d2Post:6f6e5f64-671f-4999-bb74-8f107ac3d365">Re: Outdoor Ceremony Altar Alternatives? PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of adding the flowers to the wall, but you could also create the illusion of the wall extending out to you by placing potted topiaries of varying sizes and heights several feet in front of the wall and then angled towards the wall, this would "encircle" you and your husband to be. The flowers you add to the wall could also be added in small pots in this ground level arch and it would tie everything together and give you a Special spot to stand rather than just standing in the middle of the open space. Depending on the time of day for your ceremony you could add a couple ornamental hanging lanterns to your arch of topiaries and flowers casting a soft glow to the area.
    Posted by RachelJohnson2b[/QUOTE]

I like this. I like the idea of using plants to create a more natural frame out from the wall. I like the idea of lots of greens to like ferns.
  • Options
    bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree that keeping the natural setting is a beautiful idea.  I'm surprisingly not a fan of arches at weddings.  I think they are kind of cheap and awkward looking for some reason.

I think some potted plants would be pretty.  Something with some sort of bloom on it might be beautiful, or just color of some sort to help break up the area and make it obvious that it's your altar.  After the wedding you can plant it at your home, or a family member's, or you can donate them somewhere.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards