Not Engaged Yet
Options

AW: I have GREAT news!

So, my dad has been battling Stage 4 Lung Cancer for two and a half years now. He stopped chemo about 8 months ago because it was no longer having any effect on the cancer. I figured at that point he was done fighting. Well, around Christmas, Bob and I told my parents we were talking about getting engaged and so on, which apparently sparked my dad to get another biopsy last week to test his tumor for a genetic defect. 

Now, we've known since his diagnosis that his tumors were caused by a genetic mutation, not any of his life style choices. Over the last two years, the FDA has approved two oral medications that target this specific type of cancer. The medication isolates the gene and melts away the existing tumors while preventing more from growing. The insurance company, however, has denied THREE of my dad's requests to switch from chemo to these oral medications. They only recognizes the medication as being 80-90% effective on two different types of lung cancer genes. There was a 8-10% chance his tumors were being caused by one of these two genes.

He told me today that he does have one of the mutated genes!! His amazing doctor has agreed to join my dad in the fight against the insurance company now that they "have sufficient proof" that the medication will be effective!!

CN: Dad fighting lung cancer tested positive for mutated gene that can be "cured" by oral medication. Doctor is joining fight against insurance company to get them to cover the costs.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: AW: I have GREAT news!

• Options
    yay congrats on the good news and I hope that you Dad wins the battle with the insurance company!
  • Options
    That is fantastic news. I'm glad that your dad has decided to continue to fight. Good luck to him and your whole family with the new treatment!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is SO awesome!! I am sending you & your dad - and his doctor, that rockstar! - HUGE hugs!!

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    That's so great!!  

• Options
    That is amazing news! Here's hoping the insurance company comes around soon!
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    That's amazing news!!!

Vibes towards your dad that the insurance company comes around!!
    I french with my man
  • Options
    That's awesome!! : )
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the vibes!! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much as this is some of the first positive news we've gotten in a very long time. My dad's excited that he has a leg to stand on against the insurance company now. It's like he gets to say I told you so. 

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    Yay for your dad. Sending vibes your way that him and his dr win the fight against the insurance company!

• Options
    That's incredible news! Congrats and definitely stick it to the insurance companies. THEY SUCK!
  • Options
    That's amazing! Good for your dad and his wonderful doctor!
  • Options
    What incredible news! Congrats to your family!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is awesome news!  I really hate insurance companies sometimes.  I'll be rootin for you guys that he's able to get the meds and that they work for him!

• Options
    That's awesome news! As someone else said, just don't give up against the insurance company.
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    Targeted therapy is amazing! That's all we do here at my research institute. There are typically less side effects than you see in conventional chemotherapy and they work very well if you have the genetic mutations required for treatment. It's incredible what we can do with cancer now because of genetic testing :D!

Good luck to your dad, and congrats!!

ETA: And insurance companies suck. I hate having to talk to them. BUT even if they deny coverage, a lot of oncology practices have payment programs and discounted prices -- any good oncologist isn't gonna give you a big ol' fuq you if they know what therapy you need. But keep stickin' it to the man -- he deserves it T_T.

• Options
    That is great news!! It's so awful how insurance companies get to decide whether or not someone should have a certain treatment/procedure as if THEY are the doctors who know what's best. Prayers that they win this fight ASAP!!
  • Options
    If they deny this claim, I'm going to have to ask beanbot for her herd of unicorns. 

I'm so glad targeted therapy (thanks for the name, ahstillwell!) has gotten such an uptick in approval from the FDA in the last few years. At least, that's what it seems like to me. I'm hoping researchers can develop a test for the genes before they mutate and become cancerous cells. I would like to know if I'm a carrier of this gene, especially since I've had so many lung issues over the last few years.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yay what great news!!

Anniversary

• Options
    This is great! Please keep us all updated on his fight!
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    That is wonderful!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    That is awesome that he has the proof to use to fight the insurance company!  They can be a real pain in the arse! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome news! Sending good vibes to you and your dad, and his awesome doctor. Keep up the good fight! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards