Not Engaged Yet
Options

I got the dress!

Haha, not a wedding dress, obvi, haha.

I'm giving my senior voice recial on October 15th and just bought my recital dress! This is a big deal since it's an hour long solo program and it's the last thing I need to do to finish the performance part of my double major. Then I student teach for 7 weeks, and I'm DONE with undergrad :)

It's this dress:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=469574&CategoryID=20486

but I got it in light gray. It's really elegant and very different from the dresses I usually buy. I'm thinking about getting silver shoes and just wearing chandelier earrings, since the one shoulder draws a lot of attention. What do you ladies think?

My hair will be short for the recital (bob length with side bangs). Any hair suggestion for me? The only idea I have now is wearing a thin rinestone headband.
And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: I got the dress!

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful dress!  I agree on the chandelier earrings.  Not sure about the hair.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I really like it! I agree on the earrings with no necklace theory, because you're right, the one shoulder draws attention. Maybe a bracelet or something on the non-shoulder side? (for lack of a better term?) Silver shoes would be good, just make sure they're comfy to sing in, an hour feels reeeeally long when your feet are hurting!

Be careful that your bangs don't go in your eyes if they're side-swept. A famous Canadian soprano gave me sh!t for that in a competition once, so now I'm overly careful about it! If you wore a thin headband, you could probably tuck the end of your bangs (depending on how long they are) in and avoid them covering your eyes.

What rep are you singing, have you decided yet?

Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SopChick - that was what I was thinking. For my last recital I had my hair curled and I was able to sort of get the bangs to curl inward so they weren't in my face. The teachers at Ithaca hate the hair-in-the-face thing too! I actually have a bracelet that might work really well...thanks for the suggestion!

I'm singing:
    Naqui all'affanno and Non piu mesta from Cenorentola (Rossini)
    Some pieces by Reynaldo Hahn (A Chloris and Mai, I haven't finalized the other 2)
    Mignon's Lieder by Robert Schumann
    6 of Moore's Irish Songs by Benjamin Britten

aaaaand I'm crossing my fingers that my voice teacher will let me sing a piece from Jane Eyre the Musical called Sweet Liberty at the end. :)
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! I can't see why they wouldn't let you sing something like that at the end, but you never know. Some schools/teachers are so picky!
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4af5653-c493-4b4c-9671-007df4fa05f0Post:7cab0078-65ef-46a4-95bf-21fbd778a49e">Re: I got the dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love that dress and grey is my favorite, so good choice. I think sparkly chandelier earrings would be perfect. I feel like maybe a rhinestone headband + sparkly earrings + the floral shoulder detail might be a lot going on. <strong>Maybe like a satin headband? </strong>
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. Especially if you're going to be on a stage with lights - all the sparkle will be amplified.

(sorry I'm kinda being a PW in your thread... lol)
  • Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    edited December 2011
    Oh the satin headband might be really nice actually! I hadn't thought of the too much sparkle issue. I do love sparkles, but I don't want to look like a giant rhinestone onstage! lol

SopChick - My teacher is a little bit weird about musical theatre at the classical recitals...it's annoying. I'm hoping to really impress her with the other repertoire first and then bring in the MT piece all learned.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do sparkly, big earrings (which I think would look good, since a necklace isn't necessary), a satin headband will look nice. Not too much sparkling around your head. The dress is definitely elegant on it's own though - I love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful dress! I love the chandelier earrings idea...wouldn't do the headband through. I don't think you'll need to do much with your hair - just style it nicely and don't worry about any bling or clips. Sometimes less is more.
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous dress!! And I agree with the chandelier earrings and satin headband.

I was going to mention the bracelet thing as well.  I read the other day at work in a magazine that it helps you look balanced.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    swimlibswimlib member
    edited December 2011
    I love the dress!

For your hair, try just one barette. You can have most of your bangs secured, and one barette gives a mature look (I have hair just longer than chin length and sideswept bangs and this is how I do it for business meetings and dates to give it a different look). You could always go with a very simple one to not take aways any of the focus from your performance!!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards