Not Engaged Yet
Options

WSG: Are you a smart snacker?

I just came back from my Saturday morning WW meeting, and since I haven't seen our 'online meeting' for this week, I thought I would start it off. (I'm sorry it won't be as epic as when Lunar starts it...)

This week was all about the difference between snacks and treats. It's all pretty much common sense, but sometimes reminders are helpful. Wink

A snack is something that you eat when you are feeling hungry between meals. Snacks are an important part of your weight loss program, because they help keep you from getting so hungry that you lose control. A healthy snack should satisfy you on both a physical and an emotional level. A snack satisfies a NEED.

A treat is something you have purely because it's delicious. Treats have their place in your weight loss plan, but need to be in moderation. A treat satisfies a WANT.

What is your favourite treat? How often do you allow yourself to indulge? How do you keep control and not over-indulge?

What are some of your favourite snacks? Are they planned ahead for them, or do you choose something when hunger strikes? Do you make sure to have a balance of nutrients?

~~What are stumbling blocks and defeat before you, can be stepping stones to victory if you remain determined. ~~

Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: WSG: Are you a smart snacker?

• Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your favourite treat? How often do you allow yourself to indulge? How do you keep control and not over-indulge?

My favorite treat changes day to day. I alternate between craving something salty like chips or something sweet like ice cream. I usually have one small treat a day. If it's ice cream, I really like the Weight Watchers popsicles. Their chocolate-covered raspberry ice cream popsicles are really good! I wish they weren't so pricey. If I eat chips, I try to choose something slightly healthier, like baked chips instead of fried.

What are some of your favourite snacks? Are they planned ahead for them, or do you choose something when hunger strikes? Do you make sure to have a balance of nutrients?

I try to plan my snacks ahead. I almost always have food with me. It depends on where I'm going. If I'm doing something pretty active, I usually bring Goldfish crackers, because they're easy to carry and don't smash to badly, like a banana would. If I am at home I eat something like a banana and string cheese or a bagel thin with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. Hmmm, I am seeing a pattern. All of my snacks involve some sort of cheese...
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't "snack" often.  I don't feel the need to.  When I do, it's some kind of fruit or a 100-cal bag of popcorn.

I have "treats" a couple times a week.  There's a bakery right next to my office and they have petit fours that are to die for.  And really good cupcakes and cookies, too.  So I'll pick up one thing at the end of the day before I head home.  It's important that I don't deprive myself of that stuff.  One of the main reasons my diet has been successful this time is that I've finally learned how to include desserts in it.
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wsg-smart-snacker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f8a62f6d-2a6e-4908-a22c-60dfb4d72f6cPost:a33d56b8-59a1-4cb9-80c8-3b3a76de98a5">Re: WSG: Are you a smart snacker?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of the main reasons my diet has been successful this time is that I've finally learned how to include desserts in it.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]
    I'm slowly learning this too. I have lost weight before with serious deprivation type diets - the medically supervised one where they yell at you if you cheat (and cheating was sometimes as silly as extra strawberries). Since gaining back the weight, I have learned that it's really not realistic for me to lose weight that way, because I can't maintain it for life. Now I just need to figure out the treats in moderation thing. The past few weeks I have been so off-plan it's not even funny. I've been over-indluging in treats, and healthy foods/snacks have been basically non-existant.

I don't normally plan snacks ahead of time, though I probably should. I'm really bad about getting enough protein, and I'm a carb-aholic, so they're also not usually very balanced.

Some of the healthy snacks that were suggested by members at my meeting this morning were:

- Banana
    - Greek yogurt with honey & almonds
    - Veggies & hummus
    - Apples with peanut butter (one member said she also sprinkles some Splenda & cinnamon on them)
    - Fruit & Babybell or Laughing Cow Cheese
    - Fat-Free Sour Cream mixed with Splenda as a dip for fruit
    - Fat-Free Ricotta or Cottage Cheese, sweetened with Splenda and mixed with fruit
    - Smoothies (with or without protein powder)
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like to plan my day out ahead of time and leave a certain amount of points for snacks. Lately I've been having peanut butter on toast. It's a good source of protein and healthy fats and still satisfies my cravings. I also like to munch on carrots or celery with tuna. Fruit is always good too, but I try not to eat a ton of that because of all of the sugar in it. I've found I can't have snacks that are carbs (even though I allow PB on toast) because that triggers more cravings, so I try to plan ahead to know what to grab when my blood sugar gets low and I NEED something. That way I can grab something healthy and smart and not regret it later.

I usually try to eat every few hours to avoid cravings attacking.

My treat is sugar free jello with lite whipped cream. Sugar free and light food items generally are bad for you, but I don't eat it often and it's low points and satisfies my cravings for something sweet. I usually have it later at night too, so it doesn't have time to trigger more cravings.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, I love sugar-free jello!
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely should have read this post before I helped myself to a handful of M&Ms and a glass of milk for my afternoon snack. And yes, it was a snack, I was hungry.

I do really really well when I'm at work because I plan my snacks and treats ahead of time. I will pack zero points foods like carrots and apples and grapes as well as a fiber one brownie (not bad and only 2 points!). I have a much harder time at the house because I don't plan ahead and I'm tempted by foods we have in the house. It could be as simple as throwing them out, but the truth is I'd find a way to bring them back in the house. I just need to get smarter about eating during the day when I'm home.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First of all, I hope it's ok for me to join your weight loss group...I've started trying to lose weight recently...watching calories, trying to excersize EVERY day...etc...so far, no lbs lost according to my scale, but it also might be broken (as I will get on it 3 different times in a minute and it will tell me 3 TOTALLY different weights LOL)

My favorite treat...hmm...anything chocolate or horribly sugary?! LOL i love sugar and its horrible (diabetes runs HIGH in my family)...I allow myself a small treat every day to thank myself for the hard work I do (I work 2 jobs 7 days a week and have a 3 year old..) I remind myself that its healthier to have a little something than deprive myself of it and over indulge later...I just do extra sit ups if I do eat a little worse than usual ;)

oh, i LOVE fruit...strawberries, cherries, apples, bananas, apricots, you name it, i LOVE it...and yes, again, the sugar...but I figure it this way...it's NATURAL sugar, so it should be ok as long as I have some veggies too...carrots are my favorite veggie snack...also asparagus and some 100cal popcorn...I'm keeping myself at about 1500 calories a day..have a calorie counter on my phone and use it EVERY day... :)
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wsg-smart-snacker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f8a62f6d-2a6e-4908-a22c-60dfb4d72f6cPost:7dd55ce9-219a-46b5-b728-5b6dac712c90">Re: WSG: Are you a smart snacker?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First of all, I hope it's ok for me to join your weight loss group...
    Posted by CLR+VCR[/QUOTE]
    I don't have an issue with it, and I'm sure none of the other girls do either :)

[QUOTE]I work 2 jobs 7 days a week and have a 3 year old..
    Posted by CLR+VCR[/QUOTE]
    Wow, that must be really busy! I would need to eat sugar too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards