Not Engaged Yet
Options

Stole this link from SB (7 Billion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4HxPxNrZ0&feature=share

I thought it was interesting. I'm taking a class called structural violence, it's really depressing but at the same time really eye opening. Right now about 1 Billion people in live poverty - that's 1/7th of the population. It really makes me think about how the population reaching 7 billion people puts stress on our resources.

Re: Stole this link from SB (7 Billion)

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Lol. I must have missed it :/

• Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You guys totally posted only 1 minute apart... that's some serious NEY voodoo shizz

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Great minds think alike :D

• Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Such an interesting video. We watched it in one of my social work classes and then tried to write out a budget for if we lived on minimum wage. Pretty powerful.

I think it's interesting that shoulder to shoulder 7 billion people could fit into LA. It's also really interesting how many people are without clean water or sanitation or electricity. I sure am privileged.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of people don't realize how privileged they are.

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_stole-this-sb-7-billion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fa3584e0-2cc0-4ab1-bed9-1afaa14fdd60Post:1f444d64-5aa6-4673-ad56-98123db6e5c1">Re: Stole this link from SB (7 Billion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a lot of people don't realize how privileged they are.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

I think the majority of us don't realize how privileged we are. I try to take time to remember all the amazing things and opportunities I have in my life, and be thankful for even the very simplest things, like clean water to drink, and access to basic things like vaccinations.

It's really easy to forget, though. We all have our own lives that can be overwhelming at times. There was an e-mail forward or something I had printed out and taped on my college desk that related to this...I'm going to see if I can find it on the interwebs.

ETA: Here it is; it's a little simplisitc and kind of corny, but it always helped put things in perspective for me.

<h2><strong>IF THE WORLD WERE A VILLAGE OF 100 PEOPLE</strong></h2><p><strong>In the world today, more than 6 billion people live.
    If this world were shrunk to the size of a village of 100 people, what would it look like?</strong>

59 would be Asian
    14 would be American (North, Central and South)
    14 would be African
    12 would be European
    1 would be from the South Pacific

50 would be women, 50 would be men
    30 would be children, 70 would be adults.
    70 would be nonwhite, 30 would be white
    90 would be heterosexual, 10 would be homosexual

33 would be Christians
    21 would be Moslems
    15 would be Hindus
    6 would be Buddhists
    5 would be Animists
    6 would believe in other religions
    14 would be without any religion or atheist.

15 would speak Chinese, Mandarin
    7 English
    6 Hindi
    6 Spanish
    5 Russian
    4 Arabic
    3 Bengali
    3 Portuguese
    The other would speak Indonesian, Japanese,
    German, French, or some other language.

In such a village with so many sorts of folks, it would be very important to learn to understand people different from yourself and to accept others as they are. Of the 100 people in this village:

20 are underonurished
    1 is dying of starvation, while 15 are overweight.
    Of the wealth in this village, 6 people own 59% (all of them from the United States), 74 people own 39%, and 20 people share the remaining 2%.
    Of the energy of this village, 20 people consume 80%, and 80 people share the remaining 20%.
    20 have no clean, safe water to drink.
    56 have access to sanitation
    15 adults are illiterate.
    1 has an university degree.
    7 have computers.

In one year, 1 person in the village will die, but in the same year, 2 babies will be born, so that at the year's end the number of villagers will be 101.

If you do not live in fear of death by bombardment, armed attack, landmines, or of rape or kidnapping by armed groups, then you are more fortunate than 20, who do.

If you can speak and act according to your faith and your conscience without harassment, imprisonment, torture or death, then you are more fortunate than 48, who can not.

If you have money in the bank, money in your wallet and spare change somewhere around the house, then you are among the richest 8.

If you can read this message, that means you are probably lucky!<strong> </strong></p>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My structural violence has really open my eyes to the horrible things that go on in the world. It's also made it clear how insanely complicated these issues are. There are so many other issues at play other than just economics. It gets really overwhelming at times. I think that this type of class should be made a general requirement at colleges because so many people really just don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards