Chit Chat
Options

Deep Breath

For 6+ months, I've had 0 regrets about any decision we made about our wedding - not even my dress, which it seems like a lot of people struggle with. Picking everything has been easy, we're working with some wonderful vendors who are prompt, responsive, and friendly, we're even staying (mostly) within budget. Our families are excited, everyone gets along, so forth, so on. 

In a wash of regret today, I'm suddenly upset we're having a daytime wedding. We're getting married in a Catholic church, so we don't really have any say on the timing of the ceremony - we took the latest time slot they offered on a Saturday, which was 2:00. We added an extra hour to the reception, but I can't help but feel a little sad that everything will be over at 8:30. 

We were originally planning on having an after-party at a bowling alley, but the logistics for that are proving to be really difficult, not to mention costly. 

I guess this is just a vent, and I know other people have real problems, but I'm just sort of...bummed. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Deep Breath

• Options
    Your wedding is going to be great. Maybe you can have people over your house after?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just think I had to wait an addtional 3 hours before I could be married.     Being done at 8:30 is not really badf.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Think of how tired you'll be when it's all said and done, and how nice it will be to sit down with your husband at the end of the day and have a quiet, private glass of champagne (or hot tea, take your pick!)!  Would it be possible maybe to plan something special for just the two of you to unwind and enjoy being a newly-married couple together for a few hours before you go to bed?
  • Options
    I had the exact same issue as you do!  Our friends and family are mostly party people, and I didn't want the party to end at 9:00.  We also had the 2:00 ceremony, so there wasn't any choice.  

Since so many of our guests were from out of town, we blocked rooms at a hotel with a bar and pool.  My H and I had planned to meet up with everyone at the hotel to continue the party.  It turns out that after all the events and excitment that by 9:30, all we wanted to do was retreat and relax together.  Our guests ended up partying all night, but we didn't join them.

Don't struggle with planning an after event.  If you and your guests want to continue the party after the reception ends, people can always figure out an impromptu gathering.  If you're in the mood, you can join, but you won't feel pressured to continue being hostess for the rest of the night.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_deep-breath?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:03042511-95b0-4eac-868c-6a4e8b478074Post:73d6570c-b6ab-4d89-99c6-a6cc047d2587">Re: Deep Breath</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Think of how tired you'll be when it's all said and done</strong>, and how nice it will be to sit down with your husband at the end of the day and have a quiet, private glass of champagne (or hot tea, take your pick!)!  Would it be possible maybe to plan something special for just the two of you to unwind and enjoy being a newly-married couple together for a few hours before you go to bed?
    Posted by PrincessJas[/QUOTE]

I feel this way, exactly.  After all the wedding shenanigans from the day before and during the entire day, you'll probably be THANKFUL it didn't go until midnight!  You can always plan to meet people out somewhere later to celebrate if you REALLY want to!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you're getting a block of rooms at a hotel people dan meet up and socialize there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you the option/budget to add another hour or two to the reception?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards