Chit Chat
Options

Would you??

Okay my bestie and I have been going back and forth about this for 2 days. She thinks that it IS NOT okay for a woman to open an account at a store to get her engagement ring. She feels that the man should take care of it 100%. I think that it isn't a big deal. If the account is in the woma's name, because man's credit is not as good, but the man pays the bill!! What do you ladies think?
And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image

Re: Would you??

• Options
    I think your friends opinion is a bit archaic and frankly, not her business what you and your FI do. Enjoy your ring babe :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't agree with either option. I think it's fine for the woman to open the account in her name, and I think it's fine for either or both to be putting payments on the ring.
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I don't think you should put yourself in debt for a ring.
  • Options
    xoxo, she didn't say anything about going in debt. Having bad credit doesn't mean you are financially unstable because credit can be determined by old history.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I wasn't referring to the bad credit, I was referring to opening a store account for the engagement ring. It doesn't matter who pays for it, but why not wait and save together? Just my opinion. I wouldn't put myself in debt for an engagement ring or wedding.
  • Options
    I don't think the man has to buy the ring, period, particularly if the couple is already sharing expenses. 
  • Options
    We put my ring on my credit card for the travel dollars and then paid it off right away from our joint account.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    None of the above.  By the ring you can afford to buy with cash.  No credit necessary ;)
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:0f6aa9e0-ddac-418f-a254-e969be806103">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of the above.  By the ring you can afford to buy with cash.  No credit necessary ;)
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:0f6aa9e0-ddac-418f-a254-e969be806103">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of the above.  By the ring you can afford to buy with cash.  No credit necessary ;)
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Yup, it doesn't matter who pays but putting it on credit isn't my favorite idea. FI and have bought our rings only once we had the cash on hand.
  • Options
    I guess I have an archaic way of thinking then lol.  I think the guy should be the one to buy the engagement ring, and the girl to buy his wedding band.  Now with the whole you opening a credit card in your name thing, to me, as long as he made the payments I would be fine with that.  MY FI has a Kay's CC and charged mine...but there's no way either him or I would be able to save that kind of money in cash...always too many other expenses in the way.
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:7d8e0465-68a4-4b8f-ac85-cae13acc87e1">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you?? : Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.
    Posted by xoxob[/QUOTE]

<div>I think so too.  Putting it on a card and paying it immediately is one thing.  But opening up a store credit for a ring is just a ridiculous financial move.  No one needs a ring they can't afford to pay cash for.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But, I don't think it matters who pays for it, especially if your finances are already shared.  </div>
  • Options
    I agree about buying a ring you can afford, as well. FI picked out a ring he could afford, but he put it on a credit card to get points and then paid it off at the end of the month.
  • Options
    I understand the whole bad credit thing. When I first started dating my FI he didn't have bad credit but no credit. When we moved in together we bought furniture together and opened a joint account with the store. He paid it off and built up his credit.So he was then able to open a store credit card when he bought my ring but since it was no interest financing it wasn't that big of a deal. 
    I know that my FI would not open a joint account with me for my ring but he is also old fashioned. If you want to open the account I would put it in both of your names at least. 
  • Options
    If your FI's credit is so bad he cannot open up a credit card, then he has no business buying you a ring right now.  (even if the bad credit is past history, if you are financially stable you should be able to bring your score up easily) I found out my ex opened a credit card in my name ( a few actually) and tanked my credit.  I brought it up 200 points in less than a year.  It can be done.

Personally, I think the man should pay for it, BUT I would never judge otherwise.....
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:c837a8f1-9e92-4da2-ad96-ab5ea359ae36">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found out my ex opened a credit card in my name ( a few actually) and tanked my credit.  I brought it up 200 points in less than a year.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

That is crazy!  Major kudos for doing so much for your score so quickly, though.  How stressful?

We're waiting for rings until we can pay them off completely.  It's just easier that way for us (though we might do as a PP said and put them on a credit card just to pay it off and take advantage of the rewards).  I understand wanting that dream ring, but you have to consider a few factors.  A night or two of Suze Orman would probably help in this situation.  Her "Approved or Denied" segment is pretty awesome.  She always explains her suggestions too, which is helpful.
    Then again, I just love me some Suze Orman.
    And I don't think it matters who pays for the ring, but I'm pretty non-traditional.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:58cf0659-3d2f-4346-b32e-02cc9bc6ded7">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree about buying a ring you can afford, as well. FI picked out a ring he could afford, but he put it on a credit card to get points and then paid it off at the end of the month.
    Posted by On_Cloud_Nine[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    Paying it off immediately is different than sidling up with a card and interest rates, for sure.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:067ba07d-225b-4e9d-ad64-d3e878caa87fPost:01da122b-4398-4612-ab66-fe4ea2bf5313">Re: Would you??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you?? : That is crazy!  Major kudos for doing so much for your score so quickly, though.  How stressful? We're waiting for rings until we can pay them off completely.  It's just easier that way for us (though we might do as a PP said and put them on a credit card just to pay it off and take advantage of the rewards).  I understand wanting that dream ring, but you have to consider a few factors.  A night or two of Suze Orman would probably help in this situation.  Her "Approved or Denied" segment is pretty awesome.  She always explains her suggestions too, which is helpful. Then again, I just love me some Suze Orman. And I don't think it matters who pays for the ring, but I'm pretty non-traditional.
    Posted by drileybubeck[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I totally agree with putting on a card for the points or rewards as long as you can pay it off with cash right away.

And I love Suze Orman!
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    FI put mine on laway and then took it out and put the remainder on store credit with 0% interest.  It's paid off now.  We have put our wedding bands on layaway and are paying enough each month so that they will be paid off just in time for the wedding.  This was the only thing we put on credit.  The wedding will be paid for with money we have saved, NO CREDIT CARDS.  We don't want to start a marriage with debt.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    I don't see what's wrong with the woman paying for or contributing towards her own ring.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I would never put a credit card or anything else in my name for someone else to pay on.  Please don't take my comments as judgement against your relationship because I don't know anything about it or about you or your fiance.  However, I have had two very close friends get engaged in the past two years and then call off their weddings.  One of the couples had been dating for 6 years, the other for 4 years. So I would NEVER put something in my name for someone else even for my fiance and even though I trust my fiance to the fullest.  I mean what if he were to lose his job?   However, I don't think their is anything wrong with you contributing money to your ring.  I should also mention that I am an accountant and a little obsessive with have good credit.  I don't trust anyone to keep up my good credit other than myself.
  • Options
    @ Bexx, BELIEVE me I never would have thought that I would EVER do this for anyone, but you know how you just feel like it's okay?? Prayerfully, nothing does go wrong between us and this ends well.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I chose that it's fine as long as the man pays.

But you may want to keep this in mind: If he doesn't have credit in his name (IDK if his credit sucks or if it's just not as good as yours), he can't make it better, and when you get married, his credit score will have an impact on yours. So even if the interest is lower if it's in your name, you may still want it to be in his to help you out with future large purchases.

But if all we're talking about is if it's perfectly okay, I think you and your FH can do whatever the heck you want. It's not like anyone will know but you two and the people you choose to tell. (And you don't have to tell anyone. It's not like someone's going to ask if the account is in his name.)

BTW, I just love your name. :);)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards