Chit Chat
Options

A quick shot

Ladies,

I've got my engagement pics coming up and honestly all this wedding stuff is fun but I am SUCH A PERFECTIONIST that it's making me a ball of nerves. Would it be so bad to do a quick shot before my cereomony and the engagement session? I'm just trying to ease my nerves here.

Did you toss one back to settle your mind?

Re: A quick shot

• Options

It's been a real pleasure chatting.

• Options
    I had a mimosa the morning of our wedding with my girls.  It was more to celebrate, but it did calm the nerves.  I wouldn't have had a shot, though.  I would have been too afraid it would have made me sick to my stomach.

I didn't drink anything before the engagement shoot.  I don't know why anyone would be nervous about that.  You're just walking around with your FI and a photographer in a park or somewhere.  
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I drank mimosas while we were getting hair and makeup done, so by the time we made it to the ceremony location I was feeling completely relaxed and ready to go.
  • Options
    We'll do mimosas day off but not shots. Fi might do one. BFF did one. Personal preference, I guess. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Before my wedding day, I honestly believed that I was going to need a shot to calm myself that day.

On the day, I was happy, calm, cool, and collected.  Alcohol was the furthest thing from my mind while getting dressed.  You might surprise yourself with how calm you are.
  • Options
    Apparently the guys did shots before the ceremony, but that didn't shock me. I'm not really ever into doing shots, but also drank mimosas while we got our hair done. I think it did help but I mainly did it to celebrate with the girls. We took our own engagement pics so those weren't nerve racking.
  • Options
    The only alcohol I had on the wedding day was the glass of champagne the venue gave to H and I right after the ceremony. I didn't need to be liquored up because it was just H and I but I have a feeling that if my family had been there I would have needed a big bottle of wine with an even bigger bottle of Xanax
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a 103 degree fever the day of my engagement shoot, and the fever induced delirium did wonders for taking the edge off. Seriously though, one shot is probably fine. That said, Linger makes a good point. I mean, do you do a shot before job interviews? Before other important events that I can't think of right now because I am being lazy? If you find yourself consistently needing to drink to cope with life events, that's a problem.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I think a shot or a drink is a personal preference. 

If you're serious about it as you get closer to time, I might check with wherever you're having you're having the ceremony. If anyone affiliated with my church (the church WC or flower lady or anyone else they have around) caches anyone with booze on them (drinking it while getting ready or drinking it in their cars or having it in coolers in their cars available to be drunk before the ceremony) while on the grounds, they will kick them, and possibly the whole wedding, out. I cannot have any sort of alcohol before the ceremony, and if the priest smells it on my or my FI or our witnesses, he can refuse to perform the ceremony. Not just that you can't be falling down drunk, which makes sense, but that there had better not be any alcohol around the church (weird for Catholics). Just something to keep in mind. 
  • Options
    The girls and I  had a mimosa while getting dressed before the ceremony.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_a-quick-shot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:082b73ea-fea9-4447-a9fa-996ee8969655Post:8d8e7be8-07d8-46be-b165-f859219f6f6d">Re:A quick shot</a>:
    [QUOTE] I mean, do you do a shot before job interviews? Before other important events that I can't think of right now because I am being lazy?
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

I seriously considered a shot before my thesis defense.  I was 100% more nervous the day I earned my Ph.D. than I was the day I got married.  Ha.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_a-quick-shot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:082b73ea-fea9-4447-a9fa-996ee8969655Post:f40a0b70-96f4-4e54-b9f2-88e073766fc2">Re:A quick shot</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:A quick shot : I seriously considered a shot before my thesis defense.  I was 100% more nervous the day I earned my Ph.D. than I was the day I got married.  Ha.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>I probably would have.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do a shot before I get waxed.  </div>
  • Options
    I had a half glass of wine before our engagement shoot, and it did make me much more relaxed. The pictures came out much more natural than I think they would have if I'd skipped the wine.

I had a glass of champagne before the ceremony. I could have used another glass with what I had to put up with from my sister, but that's another story. :/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm all about taking a shot when I'm wound up. Which is maybe once a year.
    I'm more likely to have a glass of wine, it's less harsh.
    I wouldn't do it if you've never done it like that before, but if you drink regularly, why not?
  • Options
    I didn't want to drink at all before the ceremony on our wedding day.  I wanted everything to be crystal clear so I could remember it all.  But then again, I wasn't extremely nervous.  I know a lot of people do have a drink or two to calm nerves so I don't think it's all that strange.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I don't drink often, and no I don't drink before interviews but I do know that before interviews or in other high pressure moments where I am to be on "display" I find myself clammy, cold, stutter-y, and anxious. I've even lost my voice while giving speeches and coughing out a-hems to try to regain it. 

One on one I'm totally fine, even in small groups but when there's a larger group or for example I'm posing for a photo that will be used for the local newspaper or professing my love in front of 100 people and hoping I don't drop a ring, stumble over my dress or get emotional during vows....that all makes me a hot mess.

My hope is that the day of everything I will be fine. My fiance is a rock, I love him and it should all be really easy but sometimes it's just not. I was listening to a relationship advice columnist and they suggested a woman take just one shot to calm her nerves before going out on dates where she gets nervous. This is where I got the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards