Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to convince MOB & fiance that non-Bible readings are okay?

My mother and my fiance seem to believe that NOTHING other than a Bible reading is appropriate for a wedding ceremony.  I am not super-religious and would love to have at least one reading from literature or poetry.  The Skin Horse passage from The Velveteen Rabbit is a front runner right now.

Any ideas as to how I can convince them that this is not sacrilege?  Thanks!

Re: How to convince MOB & fiance that non-Bible readings are okay?

• Options
    Where are you getting married?  I know in Catholic ceremonies, you actually can't have non-Biblical readings.  I think that you and your FI need to talk it over with your officiant and figure out what's permissible.  Mom gets to butt out, it's not her wedding.  But if FI has a problem with it, you two need to work something out.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Getting married at a Lutheran church.  Pastor is very low-key but we will definitely discuss with him too.  Thanks.
  • Options
    You probably won't convince them if this is their belief.  But your minister might could.
  • Options
    duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_convince-mob-fiance-non-bible-readings-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:f5805e81-875a-4d71-af80-ee87e6348dd8Post:f29c0a8e-13ef-4f90-9589-bfcc1100c3b4">Re: How to convince MOB & fiance that non-Bible readings are okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Getting married at a Lutheran church.  Pastor is very low-key but we will definitely discuss with him too.  Thanks.
    Posted by LoveMyTB[/QUOTE]

DH and I were married in the Lutheran Church.  We were not permitted to pick non-bible readings.  It wasn't even an option.  The pastor said "you may choose any readings from xx version of the bible for your ceremony."  End of story.

That is just the way religions work sometimes.  If you don't want bible readings then you need to have a non-religious ceremony.

So in this case, your FI and your mother are probably right.  Non-bible readings will not be acceptable.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_convince-mob-fiance-non-bible-readings-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:f5805e81-875a-4d71-af80-ee87e6348dd8Post:184870dd-07ae-4633-abae-8fc599f0616e">Re: How to convince MOB & fiance that non-Bible readings are okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to convince MOB & fiance that non-Bible readings are okay? : DH and I were married in the Lutheran Church.  We were not permitted to pick non-bible readings.  It wasn't even an option.  The pastor said "you may choose any readings from xx version of the bible for your ceremony."  End of story. That is just the way religions work sometimes.  If you don't want bible readings then you need to have a non-religious ceremony. So in this case, your FI and your mother are probably right.  Non-bible readings will not be acceptable.
    Posted by duckie1905[/QUOTE]

Lutheran churches very widely by synod.  I believe (and I could be wrong, sorry if I am) that it is the Missouri Synod who are very traditional, and is probably what PP had her wedding in.  I think there is some sort of "free" Lutheran (I know that's not the word they use) too, which is not connected to a synod.

We are looking at a Lutheran church, and they don't really seem to care at all what we do.  We're bringing in a non-Lutheran pastor (Christian), and they're fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Some potential compromises are to have the reading you would like printed in the program but not read, or ask someone to read at your reception, say around the time of the toasts...
    Started TTC July 2011 Dx wt Infertlity NOS Aug 2012 RE appt Sep 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards